Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

best british movie of all time and have you seen any decent ones lately ?

I'm an anti-german, i was there attacking the Gastarbeiters for wanting citizenship. They crushed k anyway.

Loach had huge gap in the 80s - what was he up to? Anyone?

Probably giving classes in subversion at the Patrice Lumumba Friendship University in Moscow.

Did the Anti-Deutsch really attack the gastarbeiters for wanting citizenship? That's some fucked-up fucking shit right there.

I'm an anti-german, i was there attacking the Gastarbeiters for wanting citizenship. They crushed k anyway.

Loach had huge gap in the 80s - what was he up to? Anyone?

Didn't he make a film about the miners strike that never got released?

Probably giving classes in subversion at the Patrice Lumumba Friendship University in Moscow.

Did the Anti-Deutsch really attack the gastarbeiters for wanting citizenship? That's some fucked-up fucking shit right there.
They didn't idris, was just doing that logical extension of their idiocy (on the wrong thread of course).

I saw Get Carter for the first time recently, that was pretty good. Red Road is also a good recent film as is N.E.D.S.

Yeah to Red Road & NEDS, but Get Carter's wank - Michael Cane's a trumpet and as if some flash cockney wanker could go up North and throw his weight about. QS put the Krays back on the train at Piccadilly and I doubt it'd be much different in Newcastle.

Rita, Sue & Bob Too

Christ yes, The quintessentially 80's film - It seems like most films set in the 80's try too hard to get the fashions right (yes, I'm looking at you Shane Meadows, you fat, slackarsed revisionist, trying to pretend This Is England was somehow an approximation of your youth when we all know you spent the entire decade alone in your bedroom wanking yourself down to a bloodied stump), but Rita Sue had it right - No one looked good, everyone just wore whatever clothes were to hand, you might've had one thing in your wardrobe that was cool, but that'd be it - One thing & that had to be teamed with the rest of your embarrassing hand me downs, proper last up worst dressed. And a really good film as well - Although Andrea Dunbar disowned it coz of the happy(ish) ending.

Fuck yeah - I Know Where I'm Going FTW. I didn't think anybody else had even heard of that film, never mind liked it - Top choice, chief.
it just never got shown for years, and (because?) there was no decent print of it. So it suffered even more than the other P&P films did until Scorcese started getting his hands on them. It is - amongst filmies - fairly well recognised now, I think. 183rd on the Sight & Sound poll (which is too low, but still pretty good going), and 13th (equal with Listen to Britain and Brief Encounter) on the British list - that's behind five other P&P films.

Yeah to Red Road & NEDS, but Get Carter's wank - Michael Cane's a trumpet and as if some flash cockney wanker could go up North and throw his weight about. QS put the Krays back on the train at Piccadilly and I doubt it'd be much different in Newcastle.
At least he chucks Alf Roberts off a brutalist car park!

Christ yes, The quintessentially 80's film - It seems like most films set in the 80's try too hard to get the fashions right (yes, I'm looking at you Shane Meadows, you fat, slackarsed revisionist, trying to pretend This Is England was somehow an approximation of your youth when we all know you spent the entire decade alone in your bedroom wanking yourself down to a bloodied stump), but Rita Sue had it right - No one looked good, everyone just wore whatever clothes were to hand, you might've had one thing in your wardrobe that was cool, but that'd be it - One thing & that had to be teamed with the rest of your embarrassing hand me downs, proper last up worst dressed. And a really good film as well - Although Andrea Dunbar disowned it coz of the happy(ish) ending.
It's a great film. I love the pissed dad in it.
Have you seen The Arbor? Heartbreaking

At least he chucks Alf Roberts off a brutalist car park!

True, but that car park's gone now hasn't it - Along with most of Owen Luder's buildings. Even the iconic Dunston Rocket has been demolished (for shame) - That was a better looking block than either Trellick or Balfron Tower and should've been preserved.

Alf Roberts fat, round & bouncing off the ground has to be a good thing though.

It's a great film. I love the pissed dad in it.
Have you seen The Arbor? Heartbreaking

The Arbor's mint - It was heartbreaking in a way, but I thought it was quite hopeful - It was tragic that Andrea Dunbar died so young, but I thought it was somehow perversely enjoyable that she rejected the trappings of success among theatrefolk and instead chose to spend her days getting hammered in the estate pub even though half the people on Buttershaw resented her for giving the estate a bad name as they saw it. But when you watch The Arbor, the last we see of Lorraine is that she's off drugs, clean and sober, and the bubbly and irrepresible Lisa seemed to take the whole thing in her stride, so yeah it was heartbreaking, but more than that what it really was was heartwarming.

There's a showing of The Red Shoes coming up, put on by some film club, but only for the most bizarre reason:

And, as you might notice in the listings below, it's unusual that we're screening the Powell/Pressburger classic The Red Shoes -- at midnight on Thursday. Can you believe that it was actually a Video Nasties contest winner's pick?

I wonder if they mistook it for the Korean film of the same name

it just never got shown for years, and (because?) there was no decent print of it. So it suffered even more than the other P&P films did until Scorcese started getting his hands on them. It is - amongst filmies - fairly well recognised now, I think. 183rd on the Sight & Sound poll (which is too low, but still pretty good going), and 13th (equal with Listen to Britain and Brief Encounter) on the British list - that's behind five other P&P films.
Found the DVD of this at my dads, so ive pinched it to watch tonight. :)

I'm a big fan of this.....

220px-Lifeboat1.jpg

Edit: maybe US made....????

Back
Top Bottom