Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Benjamin Zephaniah RIP

Pretty much echoing others. Was shown a TV programme with him when at school and he opened up a whole world of just delighting in language I had never come across before. It was that organic natural midlands cadence, pure Brummie in all it's richness that for some reason feels part of the lineage of Shakespeare that always hit home. And Kelvin McKenzie definitely showed his true colours in response.

Saddened to hear of his passing.
A really lovely bloke. Met him at one of his gigs in the 80s and I needed to pop and see a man about a dog and he offered & gave me a lift even though I had just met him.
A varied career across many platforms. A really sound person both politically and spiritually. An inspiration to many & will be missed.
Thanks for the poetry and music.

Rest in Peace.

Just to thank Sue for pointing out this thread, embarrassed missed it.

Benjamin Zephaniah was a revelation to me and his poetry and novels (and music)lifted me when was going through a bad period in life. It's difficult to explain, but his whole vibe gave much positivity and joy. He was so good at bringing issues to the fore without ever sounding preachy. And even if he had been preachy, that would have been fine.

Also loved his cameos as a, er, preacher in Peaky Blinders.

Much missed.

I am a bit shocked by the number of people I know who on asking them what do you think about Benjamin zephania replied who?

How could people not know who he was he was a public personality but these people have no idea I am genuinely shocked.

I am a bit shocked by the number of people I know who on asking them what do you think about Benjamin zephania replied who?

How could people not know who he was he was a public personality but these people have no idea I am genuinely shocked.
Sure. People have different life experiences. Was surprised that some people hadn't heard of Ian Banks' passing. Someone else was surprised that I did not know where the term Sapphic originated from etc...

Maybe they don’t watch Antiques Roadshow.

Saddened to hear of his passing.
A really lovely bloke. Met him at one of his gigs in the 80s and I needed to pop and see a man about a dog and he offered & gave me a lift even though I had just met him.
A varied career across many platforms. A really sound person both politically and spiritually. An inspiration to many & will be missed.
Thanks for the poetry and music.

Rest in Peace.

When the news came out one of my colleagues mentioned that his grandmother had had a "Penpal correspondence" with him. She'd written to him about a poem that he'd written and they went on writing to each other. It's a trivial story but one, like yours, which which I thought said much more about him than any newspaper obituary

Last edited:
As an aside, does anyone have any idea how Benjamin reconciled his Rastafarianism with his anarchism? I mean the classic 'no gods, no masters' doesn't sit very well with his Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie, creator of the world. Did he not bother to reconcile the two belief systems, or was his version of Rastafarianism a variant which somehow allowed both viewpoints?

You have said elsewhere that you lost your religion but found your faith. What does that mean?

I think religion has given God a bad name. When I say ‘faith’, I’m talking about a belief, for want of a better word – I think I have a better word: a knowledge of God – that I get through meditation, which doesn’t need anybody else: doesn’t need the church, doesn’t need a priest, doesn’t need an imam, doesn’t need anything. Just learn to meditate!

As an aside, does anyone have any idea how Benjamin reconciled his Rastafarianism with his anarchism? I mean the classic 'no gods, no masters' doesn't sit very well with his Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie, creator of the world. Did he not bother to reconcile the two belief systems, or was his version of Rastafarianism a variant which somehow allowed both viewpoints?
From my understanding Rasta doesnt have hard and fast canonical rules...its a spectrum of belief and practice.... there are sects that are strict regarding scriptures, the strictest I gather being the turban wearing Bobo Ashanti - Wikipedia -
but at the same time you dont have to be a member of any of the Mansions. Its a more fluid religion, and to many its more a philosophical and personal framework.

The status of Haile Selassie is a historic legacy.... I think in the eyes of many younger rastas today he is seen as an african king with some wise sayings rather than the literal second coming. Same with repatriation - I dont think the centrality of repatriation is there anywhere near as much as it was in the 70s and earlier. Same as with the importance of locks. Like Steve Santana sang: "Rasta is a life it is not a religion".

Back
Top Bottom