Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Benjamin Zephaniah RIP

Arguably even "classier" when final part of the message is reproduced, rather than just the beginning:

GCat-Y-WIAAfwCB

An apology has been issued by a council sub-contractor after a mural of the late Benjamin Zephaniah was destroyed in Birmingham:

Backlash as Hockley mural of beloved Benjamin Zephaniah painted over

7c30e830-f266-11ee-bbe1-bb4bc084dccb.jpg

330px-Kier_Group_logo.svg.png

“We apologise for any hurt or distress we have caused by painting over this mural, crews were carrying out their standard duties and there was no ill-intent, but we accept the upset caused by our actions.

“We are working with Birmingham City Council to review the graffiti removal process with a view to ensure more sensitivity is demonstrated moving forward. We would welcome the opportunity to work with the artist and provide supplies in order to recreate artwork to represent Benjamin and his life.”

Handsworth is only allowed one Benjamin Zephaniah mural at a time apparently. There's a nice one been done in the park but I think the one BCC ruined was better. Hopefully the artist is able to restore it.

An apology has been issued by a council sub-contractor after a mural of the late Benjamin Zephaniah was destroyed in Birmingham:

Backlash as Hockley mural of beloved Benjamin Zephaniah painted over

7c30e830-f266-11ee-bbe1-bb4bc084dccb.jpg

330px-Kier_Group_logo.svg.png

“We apologise for any hurt or distress we have caused by painting over this mural, crews were carrying out their standard duties and there was no ill-intent, but we accept the upset caused by our actions.

“We are working with Birmingham City Council to review the graffiti removal process with a view to ensure more sensitivity is demonstrated moving forward. We would welcome the opportunity to work with the artist and provide supplies in order to recreate artwork to represent Benjamin and his life.”

How is it not clear to these morons that this is a beautiful work of art and should be preserved?

Thanks, that looks great :)
I'm a Brummie who now lives in London so I won't be able to see it myself in person!
I didn't take the picture myself, I've never been to Brumland...well not properly. (I don't think just going to the NEC counts).
I first met and had a good conversation with Benjamin (and his then wife) at the Vegan Food and Drink Festival at Conway Hall in London back in 2000, where we had a food stall.

I saw him last nearly 3 years ago at the Vegan Camp Out 2021 where he performed with his band the Revolutionary Minds, it was bloody brilliant...
1720204670980.png
(I did take that picture 😉 )

...I was really looking forward to seeing him again this year as he was named in the artist line up before he passed...

1720204988877.png 1720205088038.png

Ben Z was at VCO 2021, Macka B was at VCO 2022, and this year they were both going to be present, but it wasn't to be.
This years music stage will be dedicated to his life and legacy.

Last edited:
Yes, I've just given them something too.
I must admit that park name is a new one on me, I went to junior school not that far away from the Newtown area but that was a long time ago :D must be where some older buildings were demolished!

Back
Top Bottom