Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bearded Theory Festival - news and discussion

Might be worth buying a van ticket anyway then, in that case, especially if you really are confident about acquiring a van :) :cool:

Van tickets do sell out at Bearded in the end, which will allow you to sell it on at cost to some other van person if you unexpectedly find yourself without a van! :eek:
This mx wcfc . Resale of tickets on the Facebook Bearded Theory Chat is pretty brisk around the time of the festival. If you're not on Facebook I daresay one of us urbs on there could assist. I would suggest it would be easier to offload one than try and buy one.

We'll book very soon, but right now I'm far from confident that Bearded 2021 will actually go ahead, even in September :(

(But I'll start a new Bearded 2021 thread at a later stage, if signs emerge that I might be wrong ..... )

We'll book very soon, but right now I'm far from confident that Bearded 2021 will actually go ahead, even in September :(

(But I'll start a new Bearded 2021 thread at a later stage, if signs emerge that I might be wrong ..... )
I concur but as I've got the funds for it at the moment I'm thinking of buying a ticket so I can hold it over until next year and if they have to can it as a festival full stop, nice refund awaiting. If BT goes ahead and my mate's festival does too I shall be back to back 2 weekends in September!

I concur but as I've got the funds for it at the moment I'm thinking of buying a ticket so I can hold it over until next year and if they have to can it as a festival full stop, nice refund awaiting. If BT goes ahead and my mate's festival does too I shall be back to back 2 weekends in September!

And according to their Facebook page, getting a refund in your scenario is perfectly doable:

Might just be worth considering the potential for festivals like these to go bust this year if and when they get cancelled. Regardless of how well meaning the organisers are there are few guarantees small festivals could last another year and if they do go bust how much money will actually be in the pot for refunds?

I am of the view that if you book a festival ticket this year you should be aware that there is a chance there will be no festival, no rollover to 2022 and no refund.

Might just be worth considering the potential for festivals like these to go bust this year if and when they get cancelled. Regardless of how well meaning the organisers are there are few guarantees small festivals could last another year and if they do go bust how much money will actually be in the pot for refunds?

I am of the view that if you book a festival ticket this year you should be aware that there is a chance there will be no festival, no rollover to 2022 and no refund.
I've thought about that aspect too. If I pay through PayPal, no credit card, do I have any protection through that I wonder?

I've thought about that aspect too. If I pay through PayPal, no credit card, do I have any protection through that I wonder?

Good point. I don't know about paypal as I don't use it but credit card protection should be in play in the case of a cancelled event.

The other day I was reminded by Deb that we and van HAD in fact booked for Bearded 2020 :oops:

So we'll be there this September. Definitely. Maybe! ;) :oops: :eek:

(we just need to find the relevant email from months ago now .... :hmm: at self ;) )

Bearded Theory are unusual in that they do it as a hobby, so aren’t covering the organisers wages and all year office hire that you will be paying for with many festivals. They are also unusually open about the behind the scenes stuff. It does cost a substantial amount to reschedule a festival after paying deposit, legal fees etc. I seem to recall them saying that they could wait until spring before having to properly commit to September. If they weren’t sure, theyd cancel and return the ticket money, which they say is held independently.

btw. I’ve got a vague recall that there’s regulations that all festival ticket money should be held independently to stop festivals going under and being unable to refund tickets. Have I made that up, or is it a thing?

Last edited:
btw. I’ve got a vague recall that there’s regulations that all festival ticket money should be held independently to stop festivals going under and being unable to refund tickets. Have I made that up, or is it a thing?

I've never heard of that and I'd be amazed if it existed simply because of the nature of cash flow in businesses. They need that cash up front to spend on organizing the festival, hence the early bird discounts to bring the cash in early. If they had to put all ticket money into a pot away from their main spend how could they run their festival? They would need to be extremely cash rich in the first place.

Strangely enough, the day after posting icame across this bit of evidence from the association of independent festivals to the govt select committee looking into festivals ( worth a look if you’re interested in festivals) which answers the question.. basically it should be held separately and usually is, but some festivals have been dipping into it to keep themselves afloat...

2. Julie Elliot MP raised the point around risk to the consumer in the event of festivals not taking place and was simply told that customers will be able to get refunds from ticketing companies as the point of purchase. It should be noted that in reality, many festival companies draw down advance ticket money from ticketing companies. As detailed in our post Round 1 CRF report submitted to DCMS in November, some festivals who didn’t receive funding are on the brink of imminent collapse and have exhausted (or being rejected for) other options including repayable finance such as CBILS and Bounce Back loans. These include high profile festivals, many of whom can be considered to occupy a unique and in some cases leadership position in their regions, generating significant direct and indirect economic impacts. Significantly, our survey also revealed that these festivals who were unsuccessful were collectively holding over £10m in ‘drawn down’ ticket retention income, over £800k per festival on average, illustrating the extent of the detriment to the consumer if these businesses collapse- while these funds should be ring fenced and essentially held in escrow in the event of needing to make further refunds, customers would not necessarily be able to access a refund in the event of business collapse. This level of financial risk to the consumer is a distinguishing factor between festivals and, for example grassroots venues due to the high ticket price- and I believe strengthens the argument for financial support of the sector.

Strangely enough, the day after posting icame across this bit of evidence from the association of independent festivals to the govt select committee looking into festivals ( worth a look if you’re interested in festivals) which answers the question.. basically it should be held separately and usually is, but some festivals have been dipping into it to keep themselves afloat...

2. Julie Elliot MP raised the point around risk to the consumer in the event of festivals not taking place and was simply told that customers will be able to get refunds from ticketing companies as the point of purchase. It should be noted that in reality, many festival companies draw down advance ticket money from ticketing companies. As detailed in our post Round 1 CRF report submitted to DCMS in November, some festivals who didn’t receive funding are on the brink of imminent collapse and have exhausted (or being rejected for) other options including repayable finance such as CBILS and Bounce Back loans. These include high profile festivals, many of whom can be considered to occupy a unique and in some cases leadership position in their regions, generating significant direct and indirect economic impacts. Significantly, our survey also revealed that these festivals who were unsuccessful were collectively holding over £10m in ‘drawn down’ ticket retention income, over £800k per festival on average, illustrating the extent of the detriment to the consumer if these businesses collapse- while these funds should be ring fenced and essentially held in escrow in the event of needing to make further refunds, customers would not necessarily be able to access a refund in the event of business collapse. This level of financial risk to the consumer is a distinguishing factor between festivals and, for example grassroots venues due to the high ticket price- and I believe strengthens the argument for financial support of the sector.

Thanks for this link/information, Fishmonkeynan -- I'd only very loosely picked up on this enquiry starting late last year, and the ongoing content could well be great for those participating in the Festivals thread in the Coronavirus subforum.

In fact, I'm about to copy your post over into that thread -- hope that's OK with you.

The 9th April Bearded Theory Announcement has now landed, it's very sad (but sensible) news -- postponed big time! :(
(the following is cross-posted from the Covid subforum's gigs, festivals and events thread)
===========================================================

Bearded Theory have made their announcement -- to put the Festival back until the Late May Bank Holiday weekend 2022. :eek:
(It was going to be held over the weekend of Thursday 9th to Sunday 12th September 2021, but they had alrerady suspended their ticket sales a while back).

I'm sad :( but they've made a sensible statement.

Apologies for small type in this image :

1617960098841.png

Last edited:
Roll on next May. Decided that I'd buy a ticket in 2020 and rolled it over. Although I usually steward I kept on finding that I was missing too much so decided this would be one I'd rather pay to attend.

Back
Top Bottom