Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC6 Radio - comment, discussion and moans

Wfh for the last couple of weeks plus my usual listening...

• Kershaw is a thick, poisonous bastard & no idea why she's on. Fuck me, she actually sang the opening bars of 'Islands in the Stream' at Richard Hawley on Saturday. Toe-curling shite that Hawley manfully ignored, feigning not to have ever heard the song before. Her 'interview' with JC Clarke, (another massive missed opportunity) mainly consisted of her telling him how working class she is because her dad was a headteacher, even interrupting him while he's telling a self-deprecating story about real poverty in the 50s. She knows fuck all about pretty much any of the music she spouts about; she can't interview for shit and she's a racist prick. (A few weeks ago, she was skirting very close to covid denial with all her 'now we're not allowed to even go to the shops hahahahahahah'.)
  • Cerys is fantastic; never a duff show, always interesting, brilliant themes
  • Gideon Coe is worth his weight in gold; along with Cerys, the best on 6
  • Riley's great when he's great and a bit meh sometimes. He's a loveable old bastard though and some of the repeated series he's done are OK - though over familiar as they're only a few years old. It works best when his time in The Fall crosses over with the time period he's talking about or music he's playing. A national treasure yes he's a bit like Peel isn't he really. Though not the underage girl stuff.
  • Amy Lame is cak; another one who's just playing at it; no real knowledge, just in the media and knows some people.
  • Mary Anne Hobbs - her breathy voice makes me feel a bit tense for some reason and she's a bit earnest but she seems nice and means well. She's played some excellent dance tunes recently
  • Lammo's Lammo; as predictable as the indie landfill he loves so much. As a fellow Essex boy, I've got a bit of a soft spot for him and I like a bit of landfill myself on occasion so fair fucks to him really. His shows are pretty tedious and repetitive now though - he needs something new. His album listening party is a) a rip off and b) a bit shit. Opening lagers at 6 on a Friday and singing along to the listener request show is a welcome to the weekend for me.
  • Lauren is showbiz; slick and smooth and in touch with the listeners and will be massive on the telly at some point. Her shows work in the morning but were dull af over the lunchtime. Maybe because I only hear half hour though. I've got a soft spot for her too as I knew her a little bit about a hundred years ago in Newcastle.
  • Craig Charles; I've never wanted to like him as he proved himself to be a complete cunt many years ago. His shows are brilliant though; cooking and dancing in the kitchen is a staple on a Saturday night. Having said that, his source material's the best so he'd be hard pressed not to find good tunes in some ways.
  • Guy Garvey; I know he's all about himself (in a slightly annoying way that Marc Riley avoids) but I do like his shows. Nice, thoughtful, mellow tunes that can sometimes be twee and obvious but sometimes pretty good*
  • Radcliffe/Nemone/Robinson; all OK at their thing.
  • Keaveny - I quite like him :D

*Tbf, I've not listened to him recently as an ex-urb does a brilliant show on Home | The Neon Hospice on Sundays at 2pm...

Hmmm. Nice reviews, but no mention of Gilles Peterson, Tom Ravenscroft or Stuart Maconie (on his own) - probably the best shows on the station. :hmm:

Lots of Better-than-BBC6 stations listed here:

It's all about the individual programmes. I couldn't listen to Worldwide FM or NTS all day as a replacement for 6, but it's good to have other options for when there's nowt on 6 and you've caught up with all your fave shows on Sounds.

Is your average radio 2 listener going to swap to Rinse FM? :confused:

I like Scratchcard Lanyard too. Bit dirgey Pixies to my ear.

Talk about niche crossover, Nadine Shah is filling in for Guy this week, and I do love Guy, and she's doing a whole show of tunes that Anthony Bourdain would have liked. I may get a mention on the show cos I suspect I might be tweeting in a bit having already submitted my tattoo :D

I like Scratchcard Lanyard too. Bit dirgey Pixies to my ear.

Talk about niche crossover, Nadine Shah is filling in for Guy this week, and I do love Guy, and she's doing a whole show of tunes that Anthony Bourdain would have liked. I may get a mention on the show cos I suspect I might be tweeting in a bit having already submitted my tattoo :D
Nadine has just tweeted it's prerecorded :facepalm:

Hmmm. Nice reviews, but no mention of Gilles Peterson, Tom Ravenscroft or Stuart Maconie (on his own) - probably the best shows on the station. :hmm:
Peterson's a jazzbastard. Just dullsville man. Ravenscroft is excellent; love his selections + dry sense of humour and not too much chat. Knows his onions. Maconie I like but I can take or leave the Freakzone. Radcliffe & Maconie on Saturday morning are like a window into another time. A time that is now over imo.
...also Don Letts
Did you know the roxy punk reggae shoots self in face

It has to be said NTS s morning DJ Charlie Bone is a fuxking moron who can’t shut the fuck up

It’s spoiling my mornings

Yeah, tried him once and posted on here that I thought his patter was awful.

It’s broadening out from patter to a meandering rogan-esque hot mess of vaguely left wing rants sprinkled with some conspiracy and even the alt right gets a look in

He patently watches live leak while skinning up for breakfast

Tinfoil hats to follow

I like Radcliffe & Maconie on weekend mornings, but I have just turned 50. Their show definitely has that demographic about it; still too cool for Radio 2, but not averse to reminiscing about 1970s chocolate bars or whatever.

Other than that, the only regular listens for me are Lauren Laverne in the mornings whilst I'm doing the washing up and Lamacq when I'm cooking.

I like both of them as individuals - I've heard nothing but nice things about them as people, they're both genuinely enthusiastic about the music, and Lamacq has my personal get-out-of-jail card of having more than a passing interest in railways - but they're always on a timer before I stick my own tunes on if the former drifts into mainstream chart oldies or the latter inevitably digs out some landfill indie or fag-end of punk stuff.

I do occasionally have to remind myself that 6Music are not going to play Dog Faced Hermans or Godspeed You! Black Emperor at those times of day. Or at all, sadly.

Back
Top Bottom