Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC6 Radio - comment, discussion and moans

Fucking hell. Who is this babbling buffoon on now? Turned it on to hear a 5 minute monologue about him wanting to do the marathon and how we should celebrate all old artists everywhere or some other inconsequential bollocks. Play music, you boring twat.

Fucking hell. Who is this babbling buffoon on now? Turned it on to hear a 5 minute monologue about him wanting to do the marathon and how we should celebrate all old artists everywhere or some other inconsequential bollocks. Play music, you boring twat.

that’ll be Gilles Peterson. Who is generally pretty reserved with the talking. You might have just tuned in at a bad moment.

Guy Garvey annoys the shit out of me.....and then to my horror I realised I had got used to him ....like a painful boil. I think its I just dont rate Elbow.

The entire Gilles Peterson show is a bad moment as far as I'm concerned.
Sometimes I really rate Gilles Peterson, sometimes he really really annoys me. Anyway he gets a free pass from me as I first heard Fela Kuti on his late night R1 show many years ago when he played two long Fela tracks back-to-back and I was completely blown away :cool:

GP is a really important DJ, has done so much over the years, 80s onwards, a British institution, continues to break new musicians too. Sorry to say it but I do find him annoying though. Smug best describes it. Maybe he isnt but its how he comes across to me (his voice and things he says). Stopped listening to him years ago from Kiss days :oops:

Last edited:
Today’s show included Scratch, Adrian Sherwood, Erykah Badu, archive interview with Bobby Womack + several of his tunes, and unreleased late 70’s tune by soul legend Leroy Hutson, plus loads of new stuff I didn’t know 😎

low point was Jamiroquai, even if it was the Nu-Yorican Soul remix

Overall - fucking grateful for this on a lockdown Saturday afternoon tbh

Today’s show included Scratch, Adrian Sherwood, Erykah Badu, archive interview with Bobby Womack + several of his tunes, and unreleased late 70’s tune by soul legend Leroy Hutson, plus loads of new stuff I didn’t know 😎

You missed off the most important track- Luke Vibert- new Amen Andrews! It was a great show. Everybody loves the sunshine.

Last edited:

Yeah, I'm allergic to JK as well.

I love Giles Peterson show now one of my R6 highlights & love when he gets chatting to guests. I generally like a chatting /music combo so really enjoy Cerys too.

who GP signed originally IIRC to Acid Jazz <another person he helped break
Thanks, now I have a more tangible reason for hating GP.

His shows are shit, the music he plays is pretentious shit. Same goes for Maconie, stroking his chin deep in thought while I have to endure whatever breakthrough Peruvian nose flute techno quartet shite that he has decided is worth playing.

I enjoy music on Craig Charles and Hughie whatshisface shows, I have to mentally switch off when they talk though.

Really? Knowledgeable but down to Earth is how I'd describe him. Personality-wise, one of the easiest 6 Music DJs to take.
a lot of what annoys me is in the inflections in his voice...very self regarding
I love Gilles Peterson, not so keen when he does his jazzy hour.
I dont particularly click with his classic jazz selection (or maybe he just puts me off too much) but its worth saying there is basically Fuck All jazz on UK radio, so its good that he does that. Is that timetabled or is just when he feels to? He's been breaking/releasing so much new UK jazz the last few years Id be quite curious to check that out.

Jazz FM is back on DAB, so that's something if you have DAB, but on BBC its just couple of token shows on radio 3, and a big percentage of Jazz Requests is made up of men in their 70s and 80s requesting pre-60s jazz. Its all very stuffy and limited.

Found this online - Giles Peterson playing the first pre-release post-demo version of Jamiroquai on Kiss in 1992. I don't know if it comes across from this snippet at all, but this was a really exciting time - I'd compare it to punk or early rave scene or grime - a scene being formed. The UK funk/jazz/soul scene of late 80s early 90s gets overlooked in UK music moments. And tbf GP was right in the middle of it
And that Jamiroquai tune sounds brilliant to this day - great rawer (definitive?) version, I dont think it got a release in this mix, would love a copy/mp3

GP is a really important DJ, has done so much over the years, 80s onwards, a British institution, continues to break new musicians too. Sorry to say it but I do find him annoying though. Smug best describes it. Maybe he isnt but its how he comes across to me (his voice and things he says). Stopped listening to him years ago from Kiss days :oops:
I love GP's voice - dont know what you mean about the smugness....I'm always surprised at how old he is as he sounds very young.

Just looked and he's 55, looks a lot younger as well. I don't find him smug tbh and although I could never be described as a jazz fan he plays enough other stuff to keep me interested.

And we should all remember that he is performing a public service at the moment and keeping Liz Kershaw away from our ears. #clapforgilles

Back
Top Bottom