Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC - Owen Jones

'It’s the first time something like this has happened to me: an apparent member of the mythical squeezed middle, at least not your average protester, knowing all about us and pronouncing on our behalf. Maybe I was being arrogant, but I couldn’t help thinking that she wouldn’t immediately have thought of Philip Green if it wasn’t for UK Uncut. The experience was a timely indication, I thought, that UK Uncut is gaining significant traction."

The thing is on the visibility and outing of tax dodgers like Green she is right, Uk uncut seized the moment, WILOTL didn't....

Yep, UK Uncut are generally OK.

eh, his whole book was about the repudation of the term 'Chavs' and deconstructing its use in the media, etc......

You are quite right treelover, and when I said Owen Jones seemed to have nicked a lot of his (perfectly OK) stuff in his book "Chavs etc" from material on the IWCA website this was actually repeating an earlier observation I recalled a member of the IWCA had made on some other thread.... bemoaning the lack of credit from Jones for this suspiciously similar series of positions. Very sensitive these IWCA chaps. (Even those of us who don't go along with your politics aren't ALWAYS having a snipe lads).

And I still maintain that for someone cited by the media as the most influential Leftie of current times, young Owen Jones has a remarkably sparse political CV.

Ridiculous, he was involved in the LRC, helped organised John McDonells's abortive leadership bid and rally, wrote Chavs which is more successful and influential than most left wing people could hope for, and certainly more than former leftists like Zabo....

how on earth has Chavs been influential?

It usually happens that no mater who the person is we can never find full agreement,but he does say things we can agree on

Back
Top Bottom