Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC license fee ‘to be abolished in 2027’. What will that mean?

The Chase, much to my horrendous embarrassment to admit it. But much as it shames me to admit watching it, it would be worse to suffer through adverts to watch it. I’d rather pay 10p a day.
The Chase is probably my most watched programme on ITV currently and switch it on most days although as it's on in the background, I don't really notice the adverts much.

The Chase is probably my most watched programme on ITV currently and switch it on most days although as it's on in the background, I don't really notice the adverts much.
Once you start paying to not have adverts, you start finding them even more noxious when you’re exposed to one. And there’s stuff on ITV that I’ll put on in the background (like Family Guy) that I wouldn’t bother with at all if it had adverts on.

For years, I’ve heard people say that they like the BBC because it doesn’t have adverts and that it’s worth paying the licence fee to not have adverts. Well, we now have that option for other channels, and it nibbles away at the value of the BBC relative to the alternatives.

Fuck the BBC and fuck the television industry.
Yeah, I'm finding it hard to get worked up. There was a moment of democracy around the 1970s when social and political changes meant that the BBC was a more open organisation, and maybe I'd happily pay for 1970s BBC. But what we have now? I pay because housemates twisted my arm into paying. I actually feel bad about paying because it goes to things like their news output which I wish would all go up in a bin fire.

The complication is that I don't want everything to be advert friendly, or like Netflix, where despite their vast amounts of cash they can't seem to fund much indie or experimental stuff because they've got to make everything for a homogenously imagined global audience, or a national audience if you're lucky. The television industry is fundamentally always top-down and small 'c' conservative because of the money involved in running it.

A guy called Dan Hind wrote a book a few years back proposing democratising the BBC budget with public commissioning. There's no apparent appetite for it though, and no clear way to make it happen: The Return of the Public: Democracy, Power and the Case for Media Reform eBook : Hind, Dan: Amazon.co.uk: Books

I think the daily mail & government are deluding themselves that this will be a popular move. They obviously expect crowds to cheer but I really doubt they’ll get the reaction they want.
They'll get the reaction they want from the voters that matter to them and, more importantly, the owners of the Conservative party.

technically speaking, i think you're correct, but...

my understanding is that non payment of TV licence is a criminal offence that results in a fine not a prison sentence, but not paying the fine (or not being able to afford to) can lead to prison.

I can only find this which says that in 2012, 50 people ended up in prison for non payment of the fine - I can't find anything more recent or anything to suggest this no longer happens.

No one inside as of 30.6.20

Fuck the BBC and fuck the television industry.

Narrator's voice (Adam Curtis): Meanwhile at exactly the same moment, on the other side of the world, a obscure and brilliant scientist believed he had discovered that it was precisely this desire to press the "big ‘fuck off’ button" that motivated those who voted for Brexit or Trump.

What’s going to happen as a result and instead of the licence fee, if this goes ahead?
I can’t see it being good news, apart from fewer women in prison for non payment. But for content it’ll just be bad.

The BBC lost my support at the point when it emerged they had being paying Jonathon Ross £12m a year.

Luvvies setting salaries for luvvies, with money extorted under criminal penalty.

Hopefully in 2027 (and it isn't nearly soon enough) they will learn that it is a hard world, and if you don't provide programming people want, your company dies.

There are no people in prison for not paying the licence fee
You can’t be imprisoned for not paying the TV licence fee, just fined. However, if you don’t pay the fine and the courts (not the Licence Authority) impose a fine (up to £1000) and you don’t pay that then you can be sent to prison.

There are about 180,000 prosecutions a year (one tenth of all cases handled by magistrates courts in England and Wales) for non-payment and dozens (32 in 2015) have been sent to prison, although Scottish courts (Scotland has a different legal system) do not imprison people for not paying the fine, Unlike non payment of utility bills which do not attract criminal sanctions the licence fee, uniquely, does. Attempts by the government to decriminalise this a few years ago were blocked by the BBC.

The above is from a Wiki article.

Last edited:
You can’t be imprisoned for not paying the TV licence fee, just fined. However, if you don’t pay the fine and the courts (not the Licence Authority) impose a fine (up to £1000) and you don’t pay that then you can be sent to prison.

There are about 180,000 prosecutions a year (one tenth of all cases handled by magistrates courts in England and Wales) for non-payment and dozens (32 in 2015) have been sent to prison, although Scottish courts (Scotland has a different legal system) do not imprison people for not paying the fine, Unlike non payment of utility bills which do not attract criminal sanctions the licence fee, uniquely, does. Attempts by the government to decriminalise this a few years ago were blocked by the BBC.
It would be nice if you didn't repeat what other people have already said and even nicer if you didn't suffix it with a load of auld shite

Jesus Christ the number of “but I don’t like insert popular mainstream show title so get rid of it” replies here is depressing.

it is a fairly standard tory / populist approach to say that the BBC shouldn't produce mainstream stuff that the commercial networks could do, then to say that the BBC is elitist / pandering to minorities / wasting money (or any combination of these) when the BBC produces anything that the commercial networks wouldn't.

a few years ago, my gut reaction would have been to be against abolition.

now i'm not so sure. most people, even if they aren't all that very politically aware, know that newspapers have a political angle and get a paper that matches their own, or at least read the paper knowing where they are coming from.

the BBC has been putting out tory propaganda to people who (at least some of them) still believe the BBC is impartial and neutral.

No one inside as of 30.6.20

ah. didn't find that one - although sounds like it's still an option open to the courts.

Yes, the BBC has a lot of faults. But losing it is a fucking travesty.
Why? You can’t just state that as axiomatic. If it is worth something, that worth has to be for something. It doesn’t get to exist just because it’s the BBC, to be saluted like the Queen gawd love ‘er. It exists to make television and radio. If it doesn’t make good television and radio, what’s the point?

It would be nice if you didn't repeat what other people have already said and even nicer if you didn't suffix it with a load of auld shite

I replied to your post.

If you are asserting that you read every thread in its entirety before replying to a post, frankly, I don't believe you.

it is a fairly standard tory / populist approach to say that the BBC shouldn't produce mainstream stuff that the commercial networks could do, then to say that the BBC is elitist / pandering to minorities / wasting money (or any combination of these) when the BBC produces anything that the commercial networks wouldn't.

a few years ago, my gut reaction would have been to be against abolition.

now i'm not so sure. most people, even if they aren't all that very politically aware, know that newspapers have a political angle and get a paper that matches their own, or at least read the paper knowing where they are coming from.

the BBC has been putting out tory propaganda to people who (at least some of them) still believe the BBC is impartial and neutral.

ah. didn't find that one - although sounds like it's still an option open to the courts.

The BBC is neither neutral nor impartial.

Why? You can’t just state that as axiomatic. If it is worth something, that worth has to be for something. It doesn’t get to exist just because it’s the BBC, to be saluted like the Queen gawd love ‘er. It exists to make television and radio. If it doesn’t make good television and radio, what’s the point?

I would suggest that there is too much content being made worldwide, much of which will be viewed by few people.

In terms of carbon footprint, luvvieland must be up there in the top five of polluters.

Back
Top Bottom