Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Batley and Spen by-election

PR1Berske

Alligator in chains by the park gates.
A(nother) by-election is likely in the wings. Tracy Brabin MP is currently leading on 1st Preference votes for the newly created post of West Yorkshire Mayor. As "double hatting" is not permitted she would have to resign as an MP.

Brabin was elected in the highly unusual circumstances of a by-election, called following the murder of Jo Cox by an English nationalist.

Previous results:

IHBfw5o.png

Is 'double hatting' not permitted? Seem to recall Boris Johnson was mayor of London and MP for a while wasn't he?

Fair points, I thought it wasn't allowed. I'll have a look around and see if the rules have changed or if I've jumped the gun!

Is 'double hatting' not permitted? Seem to recall Boris Johnson was mayor of London and MP for a while wasn't he?

He wasn't at the same time but....

And Dan Jarvis, Barnsley MP and Mayor for Sheffield City Region.

...he was, I'm sure.

By the end of tonight we'll know if she wins on 2nd preferences and I'm sure we'll find out if a by-election is due.

To try and not make this thread redundant straight away, let's ask the question: in the context of Hartlepool, is a by-election here the last thing Labour needs?

I think it’s not allowed in this specific instance as the mayor role includes the Police & Crime Commissioner responsibilities

Have just found that very quote, you've just beaten me to it!

What this means for Batley and Spen
While we wait for the second preference votes to come in, a reminder that if Tracy Brabin wins she will have to resign as MP for Batley and Spen.

That's because the mayor will also be West Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) - and you can't be an MP and a PCC at the same time.

Well. it doesn't look brilliant for Labour here either does it? Heavy Woollen District Independents got 6000 votes in 2019 running on what looks like the current tory political priorities...

Well. it doesn't look brilliant for Labour here either does it? Heavy Woollen District Independents got 6000 votes in 2019 running on what looks like the current tory political priorities...

Depending on when it's called, no, it doesn't look good. Really depends on the candidate. And how arm's length they are from Westminster (generally) and Starmer (specifically) I'd wager.

I think it’s not allowed in this specific instance as the mayor role includes the Police & Crime Commissioner responsibilities
Hey LD long time no see! Hope you're going well

Not going to be an easy election for Labour but I think they should have a better shot than Hartlepool

Voxpops on R4 WATO just now speaking to voters who are shifting away from Labour.

"Labour are just private schoolboys now".

"They are for the immigrants not for the local people".

Facebook page of Paul Halloran who picked up 6000 votes in 2019 makse interesting reading. Dunno if he's going to run again, but if he doesn't Labour are in real trouble.

I was about to type that Labour wouldn't be so daft as to choose a Blairite from an earlier era. But given recent events...

Going by recent results, and the bar chart shown, hard to call.

The Conservatives could take it, too close to call.

Irrelevant though, other than as another poke in the eye for Starmer.

Facebook page of Paul Halloran who picked up 6000 votes in 2019 makse interesting reading. Dunno if he's going to run again, but if he doesn't Labour are in real trouble.

Heavy Woollen Independents still stand for the council and his Facebook activity sure makes it look like he wants to run again. As you say, distinct trouble for Labour if they don’t.

Back
Top Bottom