Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Barclays/TFL cycle hire scheme in London

The average speed of a car in London is around 2mph. Cars are hardly practical or efficient in urban environments.

average speed for a car ranges from 7 to 12 mph depending on who you ask from the look of it:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sa=N&tab=nw&q=average car speed in london

The more interesting point is that this has remained pretty constant since the earliest days of motoring - which is an indicator that improved traffic management really does work!!

For some high powered businessman, that 30 minutes each end of the day saved by using their own car could mean a lot of money made (or lost).

Does empathising with "high-powered businessmen" in big cars give you a bit of a secret stiffy, aj?

Where did I 'emphathise' with them? I merely mentioned a possible scenario that had probably been overlooked.

What is it with people round here and a fixation on my genitalia? It's mine, and I'm not sharing.

As a cyclist myself, i think it would be wiser to invest on good cycle lanes (that mean actual cycle lines, not just green painted bits of the road that end suddenly) before thinking of getting new bikes on the road. Many people i speak to say that they would love to cycle to work, but are too scared of being crushed by a lorry or bus, which honestly, is very likely to happen. I have been very lucky because i am also cautious, but i think i would enjoy my cycling a lot more if i was safer.

So, in a nutshell, invest in cycle lanes and then bikes for everyone!! :p

Many people i speak to say that they would love to cycle to work, but are too scared of being crushed by a lorry or bus, which honestly, is very likely to happen.

Simple things like not riding up the inside of a left turning lorry on a corner would help reduce that risk.

I thought it was a great idea to have that lorry parked in Trafalgar Square that time so cyclists could sit in the driver's seat and see just how difficult they are to see from the driver's point of view, when they are cycling without due care and attention, weaving in and out of traffic.

As a cyclist myself, i think it would be wiser to invest on good cycle lanes (that mean actual cycle lines, not just green painted bits of the road that end suddenly) before thinking of getting new bikes on the road. Many people i speak to say that they would love to cycle to work, but are too scared of being crushed by a lorry or bus, which honestly, is very likely to happen. I have been very lucky because i am also cautious, but i think i would enjoy my cycling a lot more if i was safer.

So, in a nutshell, invest in cycle lanes and then bikes for everyone!! :p

The thing is, most cycle lanes are badly designed or dangerously positioned. A lot of cycle lanes will be painted next to give way lines at junctions.

People only get crushed by lorries or buses because they take stupid risks by undertaking them at junctions. More cycle training is the answer, not more cycle lanes.

Yeah, the more you separate cyclists out from other road users, the less likelt they are to be aware or take notice of you when you do have to use 'open road'; and the whole lorry business, nino's right, rider training would be more useful than more cycle lanes...

Simple things like not riding up the inside of a left turning lorry on a corner would help reduce that risk.

I thought it was a great idea to have that lorry parked in Trafalgar Square that time so cyclists could sit in the driver's seat and see just how difficult they are to see from the driver's point of view, when they are cycling without due care and attention, weaving in and out of traffic.

And a lot of motorists will move their vehicle as close to the kerb as they can possibly get, which is why cyclists and motorcyclists have to filter through traffic. This is not "weaving", as you put it.

Putting a dirty great big lorry in Trafalgar Square is not the answer, more cycle training is what is needed.

when they are cycling without due care and attention, weaving in and out of traffic.

I cycle with huge amounts of due care and attention when I'm weaving in slow moving or stationery traffic.

And a lot of motorists will move their vehicle as close to the kerb as they can possibly get, which is why cyclists and motorcyclists have to filter through traffic. This is not "weaving", as you put it.

Putting a dirty great big lorry in Trafalgar Square is not the answer, more cycle training is what is needed.

Why shouldn't cyclists wait in their place in the queue with everyone else that uses the same stretch of road?

I certainly support more cycle training, at the expense of the cyclist of course, rather than wasting taxpayer's money on government funded schemes.

Why shouldn't cyclists wait in their place in the queue with everyone else that uses the same stretch of road?

I certainly support more cycle training, at the expense of the cyclist of course, rather than wasting taxpayer's money on government funded schemes.

Because we don't take up as much space on the road and if motorists like you are taking loads of space on the road (pulling up flush to the kerb, for example), we have every right to filter through. I'm not cycling in the gutter.

What would you rather see the taxpayer's money spent on? Bailing out banks and irresponsible corporations?

You don't cycle, do you?

I think the lorry thing is useful. IIRC, it's part of an education program for cyclists and HGV drivers.

Because they take up very little space and can therefore move forwards when larger, less practical, vehicles cannot. Just like motorbikes, or indeed small cars vs. big lorries.

I think the lorry thing is useful. IIRC, it's part of an education program for cyclists and HGV drivers.

Sure but I'd prefer it if cyclists were actually trained, that way they'd know about blind spots and turning circles. I've seen plenty of cyclists who don't even look over their shoulder when pulling out or turning into a side road. Training would solve this.

Because we don't take up as much space on the road and if motorists like you are taking loads of space on the road (pulling up flush to the kerb, for example), we have every right to filter through. I'm not cycling in the gutter.

Which bit of "no you don't have any right to filter through" are you having difficulty comprehending?

You don't cycle, do you?

Of course not. I used to as a kid, but once I was old enough to learn to drive, I did the normal thing and upgraded to a car. Who'd be silly enough to get cold and wet on two wheels when you can be warm, dry and comfortable on four?

Oh yeah, half this board.

Most of the people here are also lefties.

Strange that. Left leaning political views and stupid often go together, don't they.

Which bit of "no you don't have any right to filter through" are you having difficulty comprehending?

Where does it say in the Highway code that cyclists aren't allowed to progress through traffic by changing lanes?

Citydreams is right: you're not worth bothering with.

Of course not. I used to as a kid, but once I was old enough to learn to drive, I did the normal thing and upgraded to a car. Who'd be silly enough to get cold and wet on two wheels when you can be warm, dry and comfortable on four?

Ah, it's the old "bicycle is a toy" or "only kids cycle" canard. You also don't get very far in cities; have to spend lots on insurance, maintenance, petrol and there's the MOT, without which you can't go on the road. "Upgrading" to a car is not "normal".

Most of the people here are also lefties.

Irrelevant.

Strange that. Left leaning political views and stupid often go together, don't they.

Projecting, are you?

When was the last time you read and understood the Highway Code?

Why do you think cyclists should? I just don't get how cyclists think they own the road when they contribute nothing to the costs of providing them.

Where in the Highway code does it say I can't progress through traffic aj? Where?

Ah, so now it's you don't 'think'...well, that's obvious...

"Upgrading" to a car is not "normal".

Of course it is. How many people look forward to learning to drive and getting their own car, compared to how many people think "I could learn to drive but I'm going to decide to keep getting cold and wet on a bike".

Of course it is. How many people look forward to learning to drive and getting their own car, compared to how many people think "I could learn to drive but I'm going to decide to keep getting cold and wet on a bike".

You're full of shite. "Normal" is a value-loaded word btw.

How many cyclists/motorcyclists/motorists do you tailgate, aj? I get the feeling that you're one of those red-faced, angry motorists who flies into a rage whenever you see a roaduser behaving sensibly.

Back
Top Bottom