Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Awful Rap by Non-Rappers

Orang Utan

Psychick Worrier Ov Geyoor
Inspired by Chevy Chase’s Rapper’s Plight:

I guess Debbie Harry in Rapture is the most famous example.
Anyone else? a lot of celebs and footballers have had a go!

I was going to contribute Mel Brooks' contribution to the genre It's Good To Be The King, but listening back to it it's actually pretty good...

What's wrong with Rapture? It's a great song, and it's not like it was recorded when rap was already big and she was jumping on a bandwagon, it was 1981!

It was the first-ever rap - or song with rapping in it, anyway - to top the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the US, a feat not equalled until 1990 by Robert Van Winkle aka Vanilla Ice. So if you were measuring by mainstream chart success, there was a weird 9-year period when Blondie was America's most succesful rapper.

The version of it on "The Boys" made me laugh, first time I really noticed how weird the lyrics are.

What's wrong with Rapture? It's a great song, and it's not like it was recorded when rap was already big and she was jumping on a bandwagon, it was 1981!
Nothing wrong with it, but it is a bad rap by a non-rapper. 1981 was the year when mainstream culture became aware of rap - Blondie/Harry probably helped promote it to white audiences worldwide by mentioning Fab Five Freddy

Nothing wrong with it, but it is a bad rap by a non-rapper. 1981 was the year when mainstream culture became aware of rap - Blondie/Harry probably helped promote it to white audiences worldwide by mentioning Fab Five Freddy

Actually I've decided that, even though I think any rap in 1981 can't really be judged against what came after it when it got much better because early experiments just usually aren't as good, I just don't know enough about it and feel like a total pretender. I mean, I've never intentionally bought or listened to anything because it was rap, I just like some songs that are rap, and they're mostly mainstream.

Back
Top Bottom