Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Australian heat waves & bushfires

Mate!

They don't have time to be carrying people out :(

The Premier said the declaration provided "for formal evacuations of townships and areas" and sent a clear message that "if you can leave, you must leave", and would stay in place for a week.

It also gives the Government powers to take possession of private property to respond to the fires, control movement in and out of the disaster area, and direct any of its agencies to perform or stop performing "any function, power, duty or responsibility".

Mr Andrews announced the declaration at a late-night media conference in Melbourne, after receiving an updated weather outlook on Thursday evening warning conditions would be even worse than earlier feared.

I know! He’s very much like that though, there would be no telling him, or his brother who lives on adjoining property.!

:eek: how can you guard your house from raging bushfires?
Keep the place clear of fuel sources - ie sweep up and dispose of leaf litter, other plant material, combustibles. Damp areas down. Watch for embers carrying on the wind and pounce on them when they land - they can travel many tens of km from fire fronts. If there is any risk of fire approaching though, you need to leave whilst you can.

Keep the place clear of fuel sources - ie sweep up and dispose of leaf litter, other plant material, combustibles. Damp areas down. Watch for embers carrying on the wind and pounce on them when they land - they can travel many tens of km from fire fronts. If there is any risk of fire approaching though, you need to leave whilst you can.
seem insane though, to risk your life just to protect your house.

Daft twats :( Typical Aussies :facepalm:, it's now legal for them to be forcibly removed. But really I doubt anyone's got the time. Best of luck to them.

yep, no one is going to going round isolated bush properties removing people, hopefully he’ll come to his senses (or listen to his wife) and get out. He built their house himself and it’s pretty much all they have so he’s super attached to it..

yep, no one is going to going round isolated bush properties removing people, hopefully he’ll come to his senses (or listen to his wife) and get out. He built their house himself and it’s pretty much all they have so he’s super attached to it..

Gosh. So many people have lost their lives doing the same thing so far. Im so glad he listened to his wife. Now if only his brother would listen :( I can just imagine how their conversation must have gone.

I have been with police to isolated properties, but only when it's safe to do so, and really we're checking if anyone's dead, trapped or needs help after the event.

The only time I've been around with them before was when we knew flood waters were rising and because of tides etc..knew the safe windows of opportunity.

Last edited:
Just hearing from more friends whose parents/aunts had places in Clifton Creek, entire place is razed, all houses lost. One with a farm, she had enough time to evacuate the animals luckily

Just hearing from more friends whose parents/aunts had places in Clifton Creek, entire place is razed, all houses lost. One with a farm, she had enough time to evacuate the animals luckily

:( Oh that's awful.

This is a quote from a guy in Clifton Creek.. I can understand why people make the decisions they do. It's a gamble.

"Every house on this street that the owners stayed to defend didn’t get burnt. Everyone who left now doesn't have a home to come back to"

:( Oh that's awful.

This is a quote from a guy in Clifton Creek.. I can understand why people make the decisions they do. It's a gamble.

"Every house on this street that the owners stayed to defend didn’t get burnt. Everyone who left now doesn't have a home to come back to"

glad to hear some houses saved! Clifton Creek was a lovely little community, used to go there often when I lived here

Bloody hell guys, sorry for all your trouble. Sounds horrendous.

Thank you I'm all good :) My part of Qld is behaving atm. In fact it always behaves that's one of the reasons I live here. It's a nice breezy 28°c with 50% humidity. Which is perfect. Not a smell of smoke in range. In fact checking the gov warnings site Qld is doing okay :thumbs:

Having said that these are apocalyptic days so I suppose anything goes...But Iiii, I live by the river beach.

I know this isn't the most important thing right now. But is he getting monstered by the media for his creepy hand groping thing? I'd imagine that would be automatic here (especially for labour). Guess your media is as rabidly right wing as it is in the UK. :(

As rabidly right wing as it is, he's getting ripped to shreds today :thumbs: On top of the whole firefighter refusing to shake his hand there's this .. Makes you wonder how he acts in private if this is his public face..

There is a lot of anger about him making the young woman in Cobargo shake his hand yesterday. And then just turning his back on her and walking away not listening. But people are maybe even angrier at the councillor who was with him Tony Allen, ex local mayor and national party member. Apparently tony has been reprimanded in the past for being inappropriate with (amongst others)a nun of all people! Whilst in his office of mayor. He told the woman Zoey (who's home had burnt down ) to shush and then it looks like he tried to kiss her! And she didn't know him. Personally it looks to me like he has a firm grip around her shoulders and is whispering stfu in her ear...:hmm:

FB_IMG_1578023345464.jpg

PM 'turned his back on me' – devastated Cobargo bushfire victim

Last edited:
A friend of mine emigrated to Australia 5 years ago. He’s in North Nowra, in NSW and I heard from him today that the nearest fire is now just 5km away and they’re on high alert to get out of there. It must be heartbreaking to leave your home in those circumstances - abandoning it to fate with no real hope that the authorities can do anything to stop the fire.

A friend of mine emigrated to Australia 5 years ago. He’s in North Nowra, in NSW and I heard from him today that the nearest fire is now just 5km away and they’re on high alert to get out of there. It must be heartbreaking to leave your home in those circumstances - abandoning it to fate with no real hope that the authorities can do anything to stop the fire.

Oh that's awful :( I hope he gets lucky.

https://m.youtube.com/user/h3llnite
Premiered Dec 31, 2019
This is a tribute to the amazing volunteers, emergency services, communities and survivors of the catastrophic fires in Australia now. Starting around October 2019, several bush fires began to break out across parts of Australia. As Australia entered into its first week of summer, fires began igniting in multiple locations across Queensland, NSW and Western Australia. As November was drawing to a close, the temperatures were breaking records across the country in the first few weeks of summer and more fires were erupting. Sadly, many of the fires started were from arsonists. The flow on effect with no rain, severe drought and strong winds, provided the perfect storm. Literally and figuratively. Fire fighters were being flown interstate, may without breaks between relocating to fight fires. Communities were, and still are, under threat of being wiped out. Thousands of people in NSW over Christmas and New Year were evacuated and made to stay on beaches and piers, near water. This was/is because the flames were rushing down upon their towns and locations. International fire fighting crews were arriving before Christmas to provide much needed support to our local heroes. Sadly, tragically, several lives, fire fighters and civilians alike have been taken by the fires in just a few weeks. Millions of dollars of damage has been done to property. The emotional cost has only just begun. Communities are returning to ashes and smoldering ruins. These fires are unprecedented in Australia. Millions of native animals and flora have been decimated by the flames. Still, there is no rain. Australia is in a state of emergency. Thousands of people have been displaced. Lives have been changed forever. Australians have been changed forever.

^^^ Fucking hell. :eek: :(

This short piece sums up why these fires are worst than usual...

There's never a single reason why wildfires escalate and, in the case of Australia, a perfect storm of factors is involved.

The country regularly sees fires but they are usually centred on bushland while the current blazes are striking forests, which burn hotter and higher so are harder to tackle.

There's plenty to ignite. A programme to create firebreaks - deliberately clearing vegetation to prevent it from catching fire - has unfolded less quickly than hoped. It's slow, labour-intensive work, and expensive too.

On top of all this, a pattern of unusually dry weather over the past three years culminated in the driest spring on record at the end of last year.

That left many areas vulnerable to fire, particularly when 2019 also proved to be Australia's hottest on record - and warmer conditions cause more evaporation, adding to the risk.

All this has sharpened Australia's divisions over climate change. A coal-rich economy that depends on fossil fuels faces new questions about its own hand in raising temperatures.

Australian navy rescues people from fire-hit town

The son is an old friend of mine

His mums property gone and now his dads is in the firing line.

we are meant to be in Oz for another 6 weeks but seriously thinking about leaving. every time we make a plan we need to change or cancel it.

C677542F-693E-466B-80B7-F8CCF3FA4D2D.jpeg

The son is an old friend of mine

His mums property gone and now his dads is in the firing line.

we are meant to be in Oz for another 6 weeks but seriously thinking about leaving. every time we make a plan we need to change or cancel it.

View attachment 194857

Oh what a loss :( but at least they're okay for now. You sure did pick a bad time to visit that particular part of Aus. It's been lovely up here :):oops: as has the sunshine coast.

For now:hmm:

Oh what a loss :( but at least they're okay for now. You sure did pick a bad time to visit that particular part of Aus. It's been lovely up here :):oops: as has the sunshine coast.

For now:hmm:

we haven’t made it up there! Staying in Melbourne which is horrible because of the smoke. Was meant to be heading there in a week. Then in to Sydney via Canberra. My friend has left Canberra today and said the smoke is awful and advised us to take masks.

hopefully this weekend will offer some rain/respite for them all.

Back
Top Bottom