Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Athletics

Christine Whasface mentioned it tonight, that the gymnastics venue has been packed out from day one, and it has been. I realise it's a FAR smaller venue, but then again it's a relatively niche sport, but one that none-the-less has been drawing in increased audiences in recent years.
Gymnasts do amazing things. I think as a spectacle it's a massive highlight.

How come?
She has had the benefit of abnormal hormonal development because she has no ovaries and produces testosterone. This is supposedly under control now with androgen blocker type drugs but her abnormal development will always be to her advantage.

I know there is no answer but I never enjoyed watching Jarmila Kratochvilova (a previous woman super-athlete with the musculature of a man) and I don't enjoy watching Semenya. There is no level playing field where she competes

It is, as they say, a vexed question. But I wouldn't be surprised if Semenya carves another unrealistic slice off Kratochvilova's 34 year old world record to take the women's event into silly territory.

The women's track and field record book needs to be expunged.

Last edited:
She has had the benefit of abnormal hormonal development because she has no ovaries and produces testosterone. This is supposedly under control now with androgen blocker type drugs but her abnormal development will always be to her advantage.
As discussed upthread, Bolt's particular biomecahnics are (is? :hmm: ) key to his massive success and his advantage over his competitors.

Obviously it's not quite the same with Semenya, but it is still just biology.

Didn't stay up last night but will definitely do so tonight. Bolt reckons he might have a crack at the world record in the final if he gets a good lane. Good that Gemili sneaked in there too, be great if he could go under 20 seconds.

Brianna Rollins won - by a distance. And she's not even the best in the world, world record holder Kendra Harrison wasn't there.
Big ups to GB's Dina Asher-Smith, who's come 5th in the 200m despite being only 20 and doing a history degree in her "spare time".
Gatlin's out lol

Big ups to GB's Dina Asher-Smith, who's come 5th in the 200m despite being only 20 and doing a history degree in her "spare time".
She's doing it at the uni I work at. They go on about it quite a bit :D

For the BBC:

Usain Bolt also told BBC Radio 5 live he will run at London 2017 - but only in the 100m.

Bolt's revelation came after he was informed Justin Gatlin had failed to make tonight's 200m final. Bolt said Gatlin was too old to double up and that's why he was only going to run the shorter distance in London next year.
I don't quite understand this. Bolt has always said the 200m is his favourite event and the 100m is for the crowds. Surely if he's only going to run one it would be the 200m? Why does Gatlin factor into it? :confused:

My only thought is Bolt wants to beat the cheat...?

Bolt wasn't best pleased with the short turnaround time between the 200m semi final and final here so that may have been a factor in ditching the 200m in London. Also, there are less technical considerations for the 100m compared to the 200m so an ageing sprinter with a long history of back trouble may be better suited to the shorter distance.

Gatlin will be 36 in London and, realistically, might not even get in the US team by then. Wouldn't have thought Bolt rubbing his nose in it yet again would have been a consideration.

She's doing it at the uni I work at. They go on about it quite a bit :D

For the BBC:

I don't quite understand this. Bolt has always said the 200m is his favourite event and the 100m is for the crowds. Surely if he's only going to run one it would be the 200m? Why does Gatlin factor into it? :confused:

My only thought is Bolt wants to beat the cheat...?
Nah, Bolt means doing both is hard on you when you're getting on a bit - like Gatlin - and he might well prefer the 200 but it's a fucker, it hurts!

Bolt wasn't best pleased with the short turnaround time between the 200m semi final and final here so that may have been a factor in ditching the 200m in London. Also, there are less technical considerations for the 100m compared to the 200m so an ageing sprinter with a long history of back trouble may be better suited to the shorter distance.
No, it was the 100m where he had a problem with the turnaround. In the 200m the SF was last night and the final is tonight.

Nah, Bolt means doing both is hard on you when you're getting on a bit - like Gatlin - and he might well prefer the 200 but it's a fucker, it hurts!
But the quote says Bolt said Gatlin was too old to double up and therefore Bolt will only do one. That would suggest the cause was not "I will be old", or at least not entirely. I don't get why what Gatlin is doing influences Bolt's decision.

Switched on to see Brazil disqualified in the womens relay heats, and the USA also disqualified ... GB men seem to be faring better, and Lake managed her high jump (eventually).

First proper athletics I've seen.

The 5000m qualifications were quite exciting.

Mo gives us all a heart-in-the-mouth moment and Andrew Butchart runs like a proper sort....

I thought Mo looked tired in that race... I think we could be in for a surprise in the final.

Great to see Kiprop again in the 1500m semis. He runs every race the same way - pisses about at the back for the first three laps and then turns it on in the last lap and wins without breaking sweat.

Great to see Kiprop again in the 1500m semis. He runs every race the same way - pisses about at the back for the first three laps and then turns it on in the last lap and wins without breaking sweat.
Chris O'Hare really puzzled me. He ran cleverly, with good form, until the final straight then, still looking fine, he just virtually stopped! Even Crammy said 'I would have put money on him'. :eek::confused:

Then, when he was sadly interviewed a few minutes later, he hardly sounded out of breath....

Ryan Crouser's win in the shot putt (with 22m 52) was brilliantly impressive.

Randy Barnes' world record has stood for 27 years but Barnes served time for steroid use and the three preceding world record holders (Ulf Timmerman, Alessandro Andrei and Udo Beyer) were also documented steroid users. Take them out and the remaining non-drug record was only 22m.

After the race and before the interview O'Hare was down on all fours on the track breathing very heavily. I thought he was going to be sick.

During the race, the commentators were saying how great he was tactically and what a great position he was in on the last bend but his facial expressions suggested he'd given everything he had to get there and had nothing left.

I know nothing about the shot put but if 5 of Crouser's 6 throws are better than the best throw from someone else then he's pissed on them. All the roaring makes me laugh - they throw the orb and then let out the roar a few seconds after it's landed rather than as it's being thrown.

The worlds greatest, I doubt we will ever see anything like him ever again.

Ever so gutted for Gemili, he had a great final 100m and just to miss out must hurt. Well done though son!

Back
Top Bottom