Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

AT&T says hackers stole records of nearly all cellular customers' calls and texts

I wonder how many military secrets, medical records, passwords, etc are contained in the "text message records" that have been confiscated.
I don't know if you're quoting from the same article you posted, but there's no mention anything being confiscated.
If you're talking about the records that were accessed, they contained no military secrets or any other such information.
Did you not even read the article you posted?

I don't know if you're quoting from the same article you posted, but there's no mention anything being confiscated.
If you're talking about the records that were accessed, they contained no military secrets or any other such information.
Did you not even read the article you posted?
Its related to the Snowflake data breach. The US military has contracts with both Snowflake & AT&T

"These are incredibly sensitive pieces of personal information and, when taken together at the scale of information that appears to be included in this AT&T breach, they presetent a massive NSA-like window into Americans’ activity," he said, nodding to the leaks by Edward Snowden that exposed the National Security Agency's bulk collection of metadata.

Its related to the Snowflake data breach. The US military has contracts with both Snowflake & AT&T
And?
The article clearly states "The content of the calls and messages was not compromised and customers' personal information was not accessed".
Do you have information/evidence to the contrary?

And?
The article clearly states "The content of the calls and messages was not compromised and customers' personal information was not accessed".
Do you have information/evidence to the contrary?
I'm going to look into this

But the hack announced Friday could pose an even greater threat to AT&T users because of a previous security issue. Some AT&T customer names were previously released in a breach announced in March, according to Jake Williams, vice president of research and development at Hunter Strategy, an IT consultancy. That incident also included Social Security numbers.

social security numbers are about as personal as it gets. AT&T's disclosure states that calling & texting records that an AT&T phone number interacted with were accessed; therefore all information associated was leaked; eg the location of origin and meta data

The stolen data also includes call records of all customers with phone service from cell carriers that rely on AT&T's network. So, this is not only AT&T customers; the breach includes call records and meta data from carriers that utilize the AT&T network to provide service

social security numbers are about as personal as it gets. AT&T's disclosure states that calling & texting records that an AT&T phone number interacted with were accessed; therefore all information associated was leaked; eg the location of origin and meta data

The stolen data also includes call records of all customers with phone service from cell carriers that rely on AT&T's network. So, this is not only AT&T customers; the breach includes call records and meta data from carriers that utilize the AT&T network to provide service
The first part of that article clearly states that all that was accessed was a list of calls logs. i.e. who called or texted who and when, and by who I mean just the phone number.

The first part of that article clearly states that all that was accessed was a list of calls logs. i.e. who called or texted who and when, and by who I mean just the phone number.
But what other data could be contained within that phone number? It could be the launch codes :eek:

But what other data could be contained within that phone number? It could be the launch codes :eek:
location was also disclosed. military members routinely take their phones with them on deployments. pilots and air crew have their phones in the pocket of their flight suit

... there are often ways, using publicly available online tools, to find the name associated with a specific telephone number," the company said in its SEC filing.

... the hack (is) "megabreach," emphasizing that metadata stolen at this scale has the potential to be a major national security threat as well as a problem for businesses and individuals.

I guess you didn't read the article closely, or perhaps it is beyond you

I read all of it.
Where does it mention launch codes or anything similar?
You said launch codes, not me. I know the article has some big words in it. Bear down & concentrate, shipmate. You can do it

Why it matters: The hack is one of the biggest private communications data breaches in recent history, per Bloomberg.

• The stolen data includes "records of calls and texts of nearly all of AT&T's cellular customers," other customers using AT&T's wireless network, and "At&T's landline customers who interacted with those cellular numbers between May 1, 2022 - October 31, 2022," AT&T said in a statement Friday.

Last edited:
You seem rather confused.

"The data does not contain the content of calls or texts, personal information such as Social Security numbers, dates of birth, or other personally identifiable information. It also does not include some typical information you see in your usage details, such as the time stamp of calls or texts. "

Perhaps you should change your avatar to this.

a070c46f-e5ad-48f0-8695-4f3dda38b5e5_screenshot.jpg

You seem rather confused.

"The data does not contain the content of calls or texts, personal information such as Social Security numbers, dates of birth, or other personally identifiable information. It also does not include some typical information you see in your usage details, such as the time stamp of calls or texts. "

Perhaps you should change your avatar to this.

View attachment 433093
OOK, saul I'll go ahead and do that. Have a hamburger, you'll feel better

The disclosure states that site identifier numbers which give location data were breached. So, yeah, this could be important given the access to the names of military members

Actually better info than "launch codes" which assuredly had already been changed

The disclosure states that site identifier numbers which give location data were breached. So, yeah, this could be important given the access to the names of military members

Actually better info than "launch codes" which assuredly had already been changed
It doesn't include names just phone numbers just like you get a list of calls on your phone bill. It might be possible to find out names of callers but that's going to be a list of possibly millions of phone numbers to check. If the military had sense they would use burner phones so that names couldn't be associated with phone numbers.

It doesn't include names just phone numbers just like you get a list of calls on your phone bill. It might be possible to find out names of callers but that's going to be a list of possibly millions of phone numbers to check. If the military had sense they would use burner phones so that names couldn't be associated with phone numbers.
But they don't. It's easy to match numbers to names, ascertain which of the names is on active duty and in what branch of the miltary

Other personal info including rank, etc are readily available in open data bases. And what's available from "other" sources: forget about it...
It's a national security disaster; despite some other posters' pooh-poohing of it, for purely vindictive reasons and just being contrarian jackasses

But they don't. It's easy to match numbers to names, ascertain which of the names is on active duty and in what branch of the miltary
Easy. :hmm:
You'd have to compare millions of phone numbers to 2 million military names.

If they use pay as you go phones when on active duty there would be no name associated with it. If they phone from abroad they won't be using at&t's network to make the call so location data wouldn't be available either. Of course being on active duty abroad the cell phone networks probably aren't reliable of cover the areas they are working in so they would use satellite phones which wouldn't work on the non-existant at&t service in foreign lands. :hmm:

Other personal info including rank, etc are readily available in open data bases. And what's available from "other" sources: forget about it...
It's a national security disaster; despite some other posters' pooh-poohing of it, for purely vindictive reasons and just being contrarian jackasses
You think I'm pulling you up on your nonsense for some reason other than it's nonsense?

Here, try this one.

doo2.jpg

Easy. :hmm:
You'd have to compare millions of phone numbers to 2 million military names.

If they use pay as you go phones when on active duty there would be no name associated with it. If they phone from abroad they won't be using at&t's network to make the call so location data wouldn't be available either. Of course being on active duty abroad the cell phone networks probably aren't reliable of cover the areas they are working in so they would use satellite phones which wouldn't work on the non-existant at&t service in foreign lands. :hmm:
This wouldn't take long at all. The US DoD permits batch military verication. Even a child, like Saul, could do it...

This wouldn't take long at all. The US DoD permits batch military verication. Even a child, like Saul, could do it...

All that does is tell you if someone served in the military and their units. It doesn't include their phone numbers. :facepalm:

You can, though. Easily. At the risk of being a "dick", i'll say "read the article"
I have. It clearly says that all that was Accessed was "a call list which would only include phone number, time of call and length of call" for billing purposes. There is no name included to be able to cross reference with the DoD's database of service personnel.

Back
Top Bottom