Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Arsenal FC Season 2017/18 - FA Cup Holders - The Road To Europa League Glory

tbf it could still end with his first European trophy.
They should be capable of doing it too - Atletico may be the favs but haven't been doing much to justify that billing recently, and then you'd have to fancy them to beat Marseille or Salzberg in the final - a final which is being held in a fitting place for Wenger to say farewell, back home in France at Lyon.

They should be capable of doing it too - Atletico may be the favs but haven't been doing much to justify that billing recently, and then you'd have to fancy them to beat Marseille or Salzberg in the final - a final which is being held in a fitting place for Wenger to say farewell, back home in France at Lyon.
Atletico are second in La Liga, above Real. I quite fancy Arsenal still, but Atletico have to start favourites. I agree about the final - whoever wins out of Atletico or Arsenal will be hot favourites.

Despite my general goading of the #wengerout thing I hold Wenger in high regard and Arsenal were always my second side. This is part due to my justified irrational hatred of Spurs :D and also because Arsenal were the only side to consistently challenge Utd during the dark times of Fergie :cool:

He's a class act.

Blaming the fans for his exit. There goes his affectionate departure. Still unable to admit that he should've left a long time ago.

Arsène Wenger tackles elephant in room over reasons for leaving
yeh, you might want to read that again. or change your 'the fans' to something more appropriate. because it's clearly not all fans who want him out, and he never lays the blame at the feet of 'the fans'. in any case, i think most arsenal fans will be sorry to see him go, and imo it's people who haven't been longstanding fans who haven't been attending games who are demanding he go. after all, if your season ticket costs in excess of £1k most people paying that much would make the most use of it they can. if someone researched it, i think they'd find it's the hipster fans who haven't been attending as people of my age can, as i've said above, easily remember years when arsenal haven't done as well as they have this season and the previous 21.

my thoughts:I am sad that a great managerial career is ending on such a bum note - but I am also relieved - I will always revere his for his fantastic contribution to the club, but he has been past his sell-by date for two years now

Blaming the fans for his exit.
Eh?
I am not resentful with the fans. I just feel that, if my personality is in the way of what I think our club is, for me that is more important than me staying. It is nothing to do with the fans. The fans were not happy and I can understand that and I have to live with that.”
It’s a bit like my job – I certainly got more praise than I deserved and sometimes more criticism than I deserved. It’s been difficult but as well fantastic

Nice selective quoting editor..

Question: “After 22 years of a stressful job have you felt some relief having made your statement?”

Wenger: “No, because I was not tired. But I believe this club is respected all over the world, much more than in England. Our fans did not give the image of unity I want, and that was hurtful. Because I feel the club is respected and overall the image we gave from our club is not what it is and not what I like.”

Q: “Can you elaborate on that?”

W: “I have nothing more to say. I feel that this club has a fantastic image and for me that is absolutely vital. We can speak and speak and speak but sport is about winning and losing and you have to accept you will lose games – even when I will not be here any more. But it is as well about something bigger than just winning or losing and for me that was always a worry: how the club is perceived worldwide, for kids playing in Africa, China and America and the dreams it can create for young children who want to play football. And all our clubs have a responsibility for that.”

Q: “The fans clearly hurt you in that sense?”

W: “No, not me.”

Q: “But they hurt the club?”

W: “I am not resentful and I do not want to make stupid headlines. I am not resentful with the fans. I just feel that, if my personality is in the way of what I think our club is, for me that is more important than me staying. It is nothing to do with the fans. The fans were not happy and I can understand that and I have to live with that.”

I'm not an Arsenal fan but as a football fan it was pretty depressing watching the stagnation of a once great club under a 'leader' on millions a year who stubbornly refused to either spend the billionaire owner's cash or get the fuck out instead. He himself has earned £100m from the club. And won a couple of cups in the last ten years in a competition nobody really gives a fuck about. And then blaming the fans for pushing him out.

the man who has seen too much:

Dbu6fZdXkAA58Df.jpg:large

I'm not an Arsenal fan but as a football fan it was pretty depressing watching the stagnation of a once great club under a 'leader' on millions a year who stubbornly refused to either spend the billionaire owner's cash or get the fuck out instead. He himself has earned £100m from the club. And won a couple of cups in the last ten years in a competition nobody really gives a fuck about. And then blaming the fans for pushing him out.
Oh fuck off

oh, and through your dismissal of the fa cup you've demonstrated that not only are you not a gooner, you're not a football fan.

I don't think we have much of a chance this evening. Just hope it is not too embarrassing.

Have hope but not belief. :) Up the Arse!

Shit, I can understand the ambiguity a lot of Arsenal fans had for wenger, but it would have been superb rounding his reign off with a trophy. :(

Well generally speaking I'm happier with someone coming in who has actually managed a club with some European experience, while Arteta sounded good and I'm sure he's doing a great job but he hasn't actually been the 'manager'.

What doesn't sound good is a £50M budget for new players, that's a paltry sum these days.

Back
Top Bottom