Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Armstrong tests positive?

The reactions from the peloton have been... interesting. Quite a few pro-Armstrong statements. The only clearly anti-Armstrong ones I've seen have been from Gustav Larrson and Jimmy Engoulvent. From most, a deafening silence.

They can't talk because there are so many current DeeEsses who are shitting themselves about being named in the upcoming arbitrations. If USADA have pushed it this far with Lance and Bruyneel, why wouldn't they go for the other doper-managers?

Still nothing from the UCI - the BBC report they have demanded evidence from USADA to ratify the ban but there is nothing on their website. There was also nothing when Armstrong 'donated' $100k to the UCI for 'development' a few years back, I suppose if we want transparent governance we should look elsewhere.

The reactions from the peloton have been... interesting. Quite a few pro-Armstrong statements. The only clearly anti-Armstrong ones I've seen have been from Gustav Larrson and Jimmy Engoulvent. From most, a deafening silence.

Think we can add Pavel Tinkov to the list of good guys:

Pavel Tinkov said:
Lance Armstrong will be stripped 7 TdF titles? Bad for cycling, but FAIR. If I'd WADA/UCI I would not give these titles to anyone,dark times

This made me google the kid who beat him. It turns out he's a US age group mountain bike champion. He's also one of their best junior cross country skiers. And he's sponsored by a parkour clothes company because that's his main sport, as shown by the spinning back flip he did off the podium at the US mountain bike nationals. That's vaguely freakish athleticism.

Are you suggesting he's dirty? :confused:

Add Roche to the The List of Good Guys:

Nico Roche said:
'm no expert but there seems to be more and more stuff coming out now, from former team-mates' confessions to accusations of the UCI taking cheques and covering up stuff for years. Maybe I'm being naive but I really hope thats not true.

Hopefully the commitment USADA have shown in chasing the sports biggest star and eventually bringing him down will discourage riders of my generation from even contemplating doping and I hope they will continue to chase the people I am racing against now.

If the outcome discourages others from doping, its a good thing.

Add Roche to the The List of Good Guys:

Glad to see that from him. Not quite as unambiguous as the very blunt statement from Larsson, but much better than the general silence and much, much better than the absolute gobshitery there's been out of quite a few of them. Including riders I like.

Glad to see that from him. Not quite as unambiguous as the very blunt statement from Larsson, but much better than the general silence and much, much better than the absolute gobshitery there's been out of quite a few of them. Including riders I like.

Not as unambiguous, no. But it makes it very clear where he stands without leaving himself open to attack from the - as it turns out - many who are still standing by Lance.

The reaction from the cyclists has been on the whole crap and either smacks of saving sponsors face by talking about "how this is in the past" or alludes to the fact they are still as dirty as fuck. Either way the general condemnation has been completely lacking.

500 tests eh?

lancetesthistory.png

Yeah. That's one of the more irritating myths surrounding him. That and the 'never tested positive'. And the 'most tested athlete in the world' line. And the one about it all being ten years ago. And the one about everyone being on the sauce. And the one about the previous myth meaning that it was an even playing field. And the one about him curing cancer.

To name a few, anyway.

The reaction from the cyclists has been on the whole crap and either smacks of saving sponsors face by talking about "how this is in the past" or alludes to the fact they are still as dirty as fuck. Either way the general condemnation has been completely lacking.

I'd agree with this, btw. Disappointing.

Perhaps they still fear the long reach of Armstrong's legal team. A few years ago he tried to buy ASO. He is still a powerful figure well connected as Simeoni will testify. When you can draw Obama and Merckx as public defenders of your line there's no doubt you are you're part of the club. Those that speak against him aren't and never will be. I agree its shit but I'm well used to being torn between following a sport I love knowing that for the most part its been a joke for 2 generations of pro rider careers. I'm more annoyed at myself being part of a general populace of fans who provide the oxygen of attention to this sham circus.

One of the things that gives me the creeps is the way LA uses WE all the time. Says things like "its HIS word against OURS", its a form of intimidation imho, always pointing out that he has the back up, the lawyers, the team and probably the UCI behind him. Youd ont just take on LA, you take on the machine!

The other frightening thing is that he appears to have had enough suction with Sarkozy upon his return in 2009 to lobby for the removal of the then head of AFLD Patrice Clerc.

If true, the particularly galling aspect of that is that there was a clear stepchange in anti-doping in the post-Armstrong years* which seemed to revert back to the same old upon his return.

Can't get that video to work atm, but the same person who mentioned that Sheryl Crow had spoken to the Feds before that news broke also mentioned something about test data from 2004 and 2005 so I imagine that may be right as well.

The supreme idiot McQuaid has done yet another U turn. Looks like he's getting ready to endorse USADA http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-says-uci-not-afraid-to-sanction-lance-armstrong

And we might get Sheryl Crow's detailed testimony v soon. If that happens the US press will go bananas. I don't see how Lance can carry on with his denials. Even though he clearly has a personality disorder.

No doubt the phone line between Hein and Lance is red hot. Some sort of explosion must be coming...will the UCI have to confess to the coverups? I don't see how they can avoid it.

If the UCI confesses to covering up positives then surely that will see the IOC run out of patience? Expect to see new variants of Beach Volleyball in the Olympics if that happens.

Perhaps we'll see some token changes at the top? Kind of like the 'the sport is definitely clean this time' promises we've had constantly for the past ten years? Or maybe they'll sanction Armstrong, claim it's under duress and still lobbying on his behalf?

Would love to see Lance try and pull his Cancer Jesus shtick with Crow though :D

Back
Top Bottom