Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Are You "Anyone But England"?

If it's any consolation to anyone I sent a death threat to I've got to work in an hour.

I work with a scotch type person, which shows that even while sober I'm not below a lazy joke about other Britons, and they will have no sympathy so I will be in pain and suffering all day!

Did I send death threats as well?

Whilst more sober I reckon I'd still blow double the limit hence I'm getting a cab in!

What I want is for you to stop saying oh god I'm feeling awful and to say I'm sorry for any offence I've caused and I will do my best not to post pissed in future.

Fair enough. It's the only time I post tbh...I'm more of a lurker.

I don't have time during the day to sit on the boards posting inane comments on every single thread.

What I want is for you to stop saying oh god I'm feeling awful and to say I'm sorry for any offence I've caused and I will do my best not to post pissed in future.

This. I am truly sorry for the offensive posts where I crossed the line. I can't turn back time or edit quotes so not a lot I can do about that.

I have historical beef with ddraig but I am feeling bad about that post as I wouldn't wish shit on anyone. I am sorry and ashamed.

But yeah, this England team, its fans and its manager have very little about them to dislike. Sure, the media are jingoistic cunts and the overload of Englishness at or arojnd this time is a bit grating for us Celts but ultimately all national media is cunty, one-eyed and jingoistic, the Welsh sporting press included. People have a right to shout and get excited about a w/c semi, IMO.

None of this should be seen as a precursor to my conversion away from ABEness but I do think it has heralded a more benign, slightly amused and empathetic ABEness that probably sits better with me as a person nowadays;)
Good post. :thumbs: I can identify with quite a few of your observations. I'm not sure exactly when my ABElism started tbh but it was probably inherited from my father, and might have had something to do with Tony Greig and grovelling.

As you said, and I agree and have said so myself, the England team and management have conducted themselves well, but that's how it should be anyway and imo not really worthy of particular praise. Yeah they behaved themselves, jolly good. Where I might disagree with you a bit is with the fans. Now of course the majority of fans are ok, however, there is a significant element of English supporting culture that is of the laddish beer drinking variety which I find disgusting and is one of the things that reinforces my ABElism. We had an example of that nonsense local to where I live...and this was when England WON ffs...

upload_2018-7-13_9-13-23.png
Mayhem in Nottingham city centre as fans celebrate England shoot-out victory

Slightly related to that, many of you will have seen the stuff about domestic violence circulating on the web...

...I realise that this isn't something unique to England, but it is significant. There is a good example on this thread of the sort of ugly nonsense that happens when too much beer and sore losing football fanatics mix.

Ok, so my bad China do care about football...apparently...having been recognised by FIFA as the birthplace of the sport.
This is another ABE myth that grates me. A German mate of mine tried to convince me of this last week and I had to set him straight.
China may have the oldest documented record of people playing with a ball but the birthplace of football it most certainly is not.
The conquistadors noted indians kicking inflated bladders, as did the British with Moauri and Aboriginal tribes. Nobody knows how far back it goes in thos lands.
What is documented is the development of modern football through the british isles since the 9th Century.
My guess is that Fifa has its own inferiority issue with the fact that they can't entirely claim to own the game when the English have a bigger stake.
Then there's the commercial agenda Fifa has in China that's probably causing this slight distortion of truth.

...I realise that this isn't something unique to England, but it is significant. There is a good example on this thread of the sort of ugly nonsense that happens when too much beer and sore losing football fanatics mix.

No one disputes any of this (I think some of the trouble at home was down to them doing a good job of screening out which twats shouldn't be on the plane to Russia btw), but it makes no sense to use this to justify any kind of ABE stance, for reasons you seem to at least partly acknowledge.

This is another ABE myth that grates me. A German mate of mine tried to convince me of this last week and I had to set him straight.
China may have the oldest documented record of people playing with a ball but the birthplace of football it most certainly is not.
The conquistadors noted indians kicking inflated bladders, as did the British with Moauri and Aboriginal tribes. Nobody knows how far back it goes in thos lands.
What is documented is the development of modern football through the british isles since the 9th Century.
My guess is that Fifa has its own inferiority issue with the fact that they can't entirely claim to own the game when the English have a bigger stake.
Then there's the commercial agenda Fifa has in China that's probably causing this slight distortion of truth.
Yes, it's utter bollocks. It's no surprise that kicking a sphere with your feet was a game in more than one place but the particular development of association football is unequivocally something that happened in the UK.
ETA And I bet the Chinese state or one of its subsdiary bodies asked FIFA, there's a certain type here well represented in the bureaucracy who are that sort of cultural chauvinist who thinks they were first and best at everything, usually as a sign of actual insecurities and cultural cringe.

Good post. :thumbs: I can identify with quite a few of your observations. I'm not sure exactly when my ABElism started tbh but it was probably inherited from my father, and might have had something to do with Tony Greig and grovelling.

As you said, and I agree and have said so myself, the England team and management have conducted themselves well, but that's how it should be anyway and imo not really worthy of particular praise. Yeah they behaved themselves, jolly good. Where I might disagree with you a bit is with the fans. Now of course the majority of fans are ok, however, there is a significant element of English supporting culture that is of the laddish beer drinking variety which I find disgusting and is one of the things that reinforces my ABElism. We had an example of that nonsense local to where I live...and this was when England WON ffs...

View attachment 141052
Mayhem in Nottingham city centre as fans celebrate England shoot-out victory

Slightly related to that, many of you will have seen the stuff about domestic violence circulating on the web...

I don't know why you continue to claim to be ABE when you admitted some pages back you only "mostly" support England's opponents.

I'm not sure it's particularly an "ABE myth" (if it really is a myth), but either way, I'm not too fussed to quibble about the origins. My point was that the two most populous countries don't really care much for football and some unfriendly dick in China pulled me up on that. Fair enough I didn't know that but didn't justify rudeness.

I'm not sure it's particularly an "ABE myth" (if it really is a myth), but either way, I'm not too fussed to quibble about the origins. My point was that the two most populous countries don't really care much for football and some unfriendly dick in China pulled me up on that. Fair enough I didn't know that but didn't justify rudeness.
Poor Pablo, treated with discourtesy after two weeks of shit-stirring. Is there no justice?

lol @ "poor pablo" from a rude coward joining in with the crowd in a thread specifically created to shit stir that backfired spectacularly. looooool.

Yeah...poor me. I'm loving it. :D

Back
Top Bottom