Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Apple is betting the farm on a VR headset

then what's the benefit over say an occulus? Works great for the games vr works for. Better screen and sound isn't worth 10x the price. That's where its competition is currently. But also with an even smaller potential user base.
For the same reason a Mac is nicer to use than a PC, an iPhone is nicer to use than an Android.

For the same reason a Mac is nicer to use than a PC, an iPhone is nicer to use than an Android.
Idk never got on with macs but I see the point. Even then its not 10x the price and have much bigger uses for computers in general and definitely phones. Vr is niche as it is. Only sold about 20m so far and quite often that's people with more than one in the same family from people i play it with. Price of occulus puts enough off and its competing with other consoles on the games side.

You’re seriously going to argue that the Apple ecosystem - where everything essentially runs in one consistent UI and integrates together without the user having to do a single thing - is somehow less slick to use as the wildly diverse world of PC’s and Android phones?

Yes, more expensive, yes often more restrictive… But that’s the trade off, no? Pays your money etc…

You’re seriously going to argue that the Apple ecosystem - where everything essentially runs in one consistent UI and integrates together without the user having to do a single thing - is somehow less slick to use as the wildly diverse world of PC’s and Android phones?

Yes, more expensive, yes often more restrictive… But that’s the trade off, no? Pays your money etc…
II don't like being restricted, so yes. So Android/PC/Chromebook are far far better choices for me. I absolutely HATED my iPhone.

they're not so far apart any more either. some of the best android phones can give you a pretty slick google experience, while the iOS/iPhone experience isn't as 'it just works' as it used to be.

Apple's compatibility with other family/close friends which is the main pull for me. Airdrop, Find Friends, Facetime, Shared Family iCloud etc. Not to mention the compatibility with other Apple hardware. I know it's not impossible to work around that with Android/PC but having these things all just sync up goes a long way.

Back on the subject of VR, the inevitable interoperability of Vision Pro with the rest of the Apple ecosystem will also be a big pull. One of the big limitations of the Quest is just that, it sort of exists in its own 'meta' universe. It doesn't seek to be compatible with other stuff. Meta doesn't even have any other 'stuff' in terms of hardware. It's fine for what it is, but I've not seen a great deal outside of games, watching movies on a virtual screen, and interacting in some virtual worlds with 'avatars' (which seem to be mostly infantile teenagers). Having owned a Oculus Go and experienced these limitations (and how uncomfortable having a weighty headset on is for any length of time), I can already see many advantages with the Vision Pro.

Erm, you can get the ‘google experience’ on the iPhone also. So it isn’t some benefit exclusive to Android.
I'm aware. it isn't as good as on the best Android phones. that's my point. and the whole point of the Apple/iPhone experience argument.
I have used both a lot.

they're not so far apart any more either. some of the best android phones can give you a pretty slick google experience, while the iOS/iPhone experience isn't as 'it just works' as it used to be.
The best android phones are great, but I don't want to have to research which Android phone is good anymore tbh.

I know that If I buy the most expensive (second-hand) iPhone I can afford then I know exactly what I'm getting and it plays nicely with everything I need it to.

The best android phones are great, but I don't want to have to research which Android phone is good anymore tbh.

I know that If I buy the most expensive (second-hand) iPhone I can afford then I know exactly what I'm getting and it plays nicely with everything I need it to.
well, probably. perhaps unless you want to plug it into anything... but I get your point. and that belief has been a big part of Apple's whole business.

I don’t believe I claimed you could? However I’m pretty imbedded in google (email, contacts, drive, docs, etc) which work fine on an iPhone.
So when you talked about getting the 'Google experience' on a phone you didn't mean the experience you'd get on an actual Google phone?

I’m sure I’ve said before, but when smart phones came out I was always about Android and had zero interest in iPhone. I had big problems with my Galaxy S3 though that I just jumped. I was already in the Apple ecosystem by that point with an iPad so it was an obvious move.
I wouldn’t buy a Mac though. I’ve always used Windows so see no need to pay a premium to be able to do less.

I think the Vision Pro will do very well indeed, it's just version one, and the implied roadmap that takes us to actual smart glasses is very exciting if you ask me.

they're not so far apart any more either. some of the best android phones can give you a pretty slick google experience, while the iOS/iPhone experience isn't as 'it just works' as it used to be

Phone wars are a tedious 2012 thing at this point, your data doesn't really care which operating system it runs on if you're one of the billions of people that don't do much more than messaging, TikTok or checking the weather...

Modern manufacturing is bananas. You can see where that $3500 goes. Also you can see why it's so heavy (heavier than the Meta headsets). Great big chunk of milled aluminium! Replace that with GRP pronto!

I see that YouTube, Netflix and Spotify won't have apps for launch (and they won't let you use their iPad apps). Not a good look.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom