Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Apparently, Feminism is dead!!!

The more, the better. Direct action, not cuts, obv.

I was pointing out that salaried workers are just as likely (or more pertinantly not take action) to take direct action.

The fact is in the UK right now there is no corelation between contract type and ability or willingness to take action, I don't droves of Starbucks or Pizza Hut workers taking action the same as I don't see droves of Norwich Union staff taking action

I was pointing out that salaried workers are just as likely (or more pertinantly not take action) to take direct action.

The fact is in the UK right now there is no corelation between contract type and ability or willingness to take action, I don't droves of Starbucks or Pizza Hut workers taking action the same as I don't see droves of Norwich Union staff taking action
You mean direct action via the unions, I take it?

You mean direct action via the unions, I take it?

I mean any sort

There are a handful of examples from non unionised or unionised workforces, contracted or casual over the last few years - neither of the groups you defined above is more or less likely to take action to improve their immeadiate circumstances

Look my point is that there is no evidence people in precarious positions are any more likely to take meaningful and effective action than people who aren't in the UK at the moment.

If you or Delroy can provide a graph maybe that sets out type of action and the people who have carried it, and the results of said action I cannot believe otherwise.

:p

Look my point is that there is no evidence people in precarious positions are any more likely to take meaningful and effective action than people who aren't in the UK at the moment.

If you or Delroy can provide a graph maybe that sets out type of action and the people who have carried it, and the results of said action I cannot believe otherwise.

Proof! Without it, there's no way I could be right. Equally, there's no way that you and Delroy could be right, either.

Despite how it might be practiced in certain corners, really I see the concept of intersectionality being a way of highlighting how there are multiple oppressions at work on people all at the same time. That it's not enough to say "I'm a woman" and have that explain how you experience oppression. If we take class within the capitalist framework as the overarching system of oppression, intersectionality would simply tell us that within that framework you'll see different things work in different ways on different people depending on various categories that society has marked out. A working class recent immigrant to this country might face different institutionalised difficulties than someone else, for example. It's not about saying "because I'm brown skinned I have it worse than you" but rather, as I understand it, a way of trying to understand the different ways a whole range of oppressions and categories work to maintain the system of domination as a whole. It's not about pitting people against each other, but uncovering the ways in which all these oppressions work in unison (and try to pit people against each other, often).

That's how it should be in my (obviously worthless to some!) opinion, but is rarely how it is, given it's deployment as excuse and/or justification rather than as a lens through which to view how individuals can be subject to unique combinations of oppressive force, and how communities that are outwardly "homogeneous" are in actuality heterogeneous.

Proof-Nazi!

A fiver (a whole five pounds!) on social unrest and increasing direct action coming via the likes of DPAC, UK Uncut etc rather than the unions?

Most UK Uncut people I've met are certainly not in precarious jobs.

I wouldn't for a second claim social unrest and increasing direct action will come from the unions.

Most UK Uncut people I've met are certainly not in precarious jobs.

I wouldn't for a second claim social unrest and increasing direct action will come from the unions.
In November last year around 2 million union members went on strike, UK Uncut has got some way to go before it organises any direct action on that scale.

Yeah I read this story yesterday. It left me thinking about 'intersectionality' and 'perceived' class, wondering whether these women (on this scale) would have had to fight this case if they had been in supervisors/management roles etc.

I know. And I was questioning it last night, thinking to myself, are the jobs really equivalent? One of the women was on the radio, she said "they were hard jobs, we worked hard" or something like that, and I've done some catering and it *is* hard, especially getting up early. The women were earning about half what the men were earning. Amazing.

Back
Top Bottom