Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone ferment fruit & vegetables?

I have made sauerkraut and didn't like it...and kimchee is fucking horrible but I am happy to pickle, bottle, jam or brine things...decent Kilner jars are always worth keeping an eye open for and even buying new are worth getting. For jam, brining and pickling, the lid and seal system of Kilners is not so crucial - I use any old jars for jam and chutney and just top with waxed papers, but ketchup, which has to be sterilised, can only be done in rubber sealed jars or bottles.

I made sauerkraut twice with last years cabbages, found you definitely only want to use the crunchiest bits and chop as fine as possible. Both lots tasted mostly like sauerkraut but had a slightly odd/ not quite right aftertaste. Think i need to be more careful about the amount of salt and might add bit of
spice next time as well

How do you cover yours? I've got a couple of Kilner jars. Don't want to buy any airlocks at this point.

Just seal the jars with the lid and open every few days? Piece of cloth? I've even read of using oil. Or just not worry and make sure that that the veg stays covered in liquid?

Well I've made up two batches. One with green cabbage and just salt. The other I used red and stuck some chillies. I proper mashed up the cabbage with my hands for ages and whilst water was coming out, I struggled to get enough to cover the cabbage in the jars, so topped up with a bit of water. Chucked them in the cupboard. Hopefully in a week I'll have some lacto fermented goodness. :)

I'm wondering if the cabbage was hard to break down with my hands, what hope do i have with things like carrots and beetroot! :D

Well I've made up two batches. One with green cabbage and just salt. The other I used red and stuck some chillies. I proper mashed up the cabbage with my hands for ages and whilst water was coming out, I struggled to get enough to cover the cabbage in the jars, so topped up with a bit of water. Chucked them in the cupboard. Hopefully in a week I'll have some lacto fermented goodness. :)

I'm wondering if the cabbage was hard to break down with my hands, what hope do i have with things like carrots and beetroot! :D
You don't need to break them up though. I did carrots cut into small batons and let them sit in water and salt, came out really nice.

You don't need to break them up though. I did carrots cut into small batons and let them sit in water and salt, came out really nice.

That sounds easier! Will have a go with some Carrots this afternoon. Are you sealing the jar and opening it to "burp' or using cloth on the top?

Sourkraut is really rather nice. Although the teaspoon of extra hot chilli flakes has made the red one fearsome.

Kimchi next I think!

I'm making wild garlic kimchi. It's been in the jar for about a week now and smells really nice. This concerns me :D Has anyone else made it and, if so, does it need to smell like death before it's ready, like normal kimchi does, and does it ever taste sour? At the moment it just tastes of garlic and chilli. I assume that means it hasn't fermented/fermented enough.

Well, it's nice. It doesn't smell of death and it's not sour like normal kimchi, but still quite nice. Not sure I'd bother again, though the free food element is kind of fun.

Still not done Kimchi, but my sourkraut has now run out. If I could buy it cheaply and easily I'd probably get some to time me over, but I wouldnt know where to in Stockport.

That said my Dad still lives in Northampton where there are loads of Polish shops so I could start there next time I'm down.

As we have a glut of beetroot at the moment we have started fermenting it. It's another veg that works really well, although as you may imagine you get some seriously purple colored water.

When I lived in South Korea I taught English to the head of a farm owned by a very unpopular multinational agricultural corporation. :hmm: In Korea they have a special Kimchi Making Day, and on that day all work at the farm stopped while everyone made kimchi. :) :cool: They invited me along to help and I left the proud owner of five whole kimchi'd cabbages. They used oysters to give it flavour. I think I gave them to my neighbours, who loved them much more than I would have. :oops:

10392126_208950713225_142760_n.jpg

Looks intresting. Still not tried it. Watched a video the other day and it does look odd. Made me wonder if I should buy a jar of it first before I commit...

I fancy a go at fermenting chilli's and using them to make a sauce. Bought loads of them from a Chinese supermarket (god we get ripped of in supermarkets for some things). Just reading different recipes on the net to get an idea. Got the long red ones and some birds eye. Hoping for some serious heat along with that nice fermented twang.

As we have a glut of beetroot at the moment we have started fermenting it. It's another veg that works really well, although as you may imagine you get some seriously purple colored water.
I was given some fermented beetroot juice recently from a Polish girl I know. She claims all sorts of miracles from the use of it, but she believes in the healing power of crystals as well, so I'm a bit hmmn about it.

It tastes ok though

I was given some fermented beetroot juice recently from a Polish girl I know. She claims all sorts of miracles from the use of it, but she believes in the healing power of crystals as well, so I'm a bit hmmn about it.

It tastes ok though

Yeah, thats the thing. I think there are some health benefits to eating this stuff, but there is so much nonsense out there it quickly goes into the realm of crystals. My main concern is that it tastes alright with a few free probiotics thrown in for good measure.

Ooh, that sounds very interesting! How did you do it?

I fermented a mix of chillis. Those really long ones that don't have much kick made up the majority, but did a fair few red birds eye ones as well in the same jar. Added the garlic cloves whole. Left them all to ferment for a few weeks, drained and kept the brine. Blended the chillis and garlic together and then added a small amount of the brine to thin it out. That was it!

Can see adding some sugar may be some peoples taste and some fish sauce perhaps for a sriracha type flavor. If I was trying to make a milder one or couldn't get the long mild chillis, I might use some red peppers to bulk out the sauce slightly without adding heat. Can see a sauce made of just birds eye or other strong chillis would be a bit much.

So I've been making my own veggie kimchi for a couple of months now and always try to make sure I have at least one jar on the go as it's now my go to snack as I pass through the kitchen. I'm sure I stink of rotten cabbage and garlic now though.
View attachment 196225

I flipping love Kimichi. What's your recipe. I make a paste and all sorts so it's a fair bit more faff the sour kraut. Think I'd be willing to trade authenticity for a ready supply. :D

I make a paste from brown rice flour, miso and water that's had wakame soaking in it.
I cut up the Chinese leaf, salt it well (say 1/3-1/2 a cup of salt) and let it sit for 2-3 hrs (mixing it all up now and again) then rinse well.
Matchstick some moolie, a carrot and a few spring onions and chop up a few garlic/Chinese chives
In the blender I mix up an onion, 5-6 big cloves of garlic a couple of red chillis, an inch of ginger, half a cup of chilli flakes and some paprika for colour. Mix in the paste then mix everything together and put it in jars. I leave the jars on the worktop for 36 ish hours before moving it to the fridge

A fridge man? Where's you're spirit of adventure. Good few weeks in jars before gets anywhere near there. ;)

That actually sounds really nice. No simpler then mine, but really nice. I should stop being lazy. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom