Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Any Warhammer 40k ( tabletop) players on here

You can almost feel the air rushing out of the wallets of the parents of 14yo kids nationwide :D

I had a peruse of the local GW yesterday to look at the fiction stuff (it's still all SPACE MARINES!), boy this hobby gets dearer by the day! £50, codex £30, then there's minis and paints! Ouch

Yup, it's insanely pricey now...

What really annoyed me was the dearth of starter options. Beyond the current starter set (invariably Space Marines vs...) there's fuck all.

"i'm really into your hobby and am looking for a job, i reckon it would be awesome working for you" (or words to that effect :D). They were about as uninterested as I was interested.
It's a really bad idea to let any boss know you want to work in their industry that badly. I should know, I used to work in a nerd shop, and the boss had the attitude that since all his staff were nerds, we were extremely lucky to work there and he paid us accordingly.

As for the rest of the thread, I'm not really into 40k, but I used to have a Skaven army. I'd love to start it up again, even just for the painting if not actually playing. I still have a toolbox full of bases, flock, files, and all my paints (although it would be amazing if the paints weren't dried up since they've been sitting there years).

It's a really bad idea to let any boss know you want to work in their industry that badly. I should know, I used to work in a nerd shop, and the boss had the attitude that since all his staff were nerds, we were extremely lucky to work there and he paid us accordingly.

As for the rest of the thread, I'm not really into 40k, but I used to have a Skaven army. I'd love to start it up again, even just for the painting if not actually playing. I still have a toolbox full of bases, flock, files, and all my paints (although it would be amazing if the paints weren't dried up since they've been sitting there years).
TBF i doubt the boss even found out! :D

It went to HR and that was that.

Anyway to work for GW you have to know all the rules for all the games, be able to paint and stuff, and enjoy dealing with kids and pestering their poor parents into shelling out for all this! :O

I like kids and painting miniatures. I don't know the rules of all the Warhammer games or like pestering people to part with their cash. Not that the parents and kids who came into our shop needed persuading to drop a load of cash at the time. I don't think I'd make an ideal Games Workshop employee.

We weren't exclusively a Games Workshop shop though. We had card games, and rpging and other war games too.

TBF i doubt the boss even found out! :D

It went to HR and that was that.

Anyway to work for GW you have to know all the rules for all the games, be able to paint and stuff, and enjoy dealing with kids and pestering their poor parents into shelling out for all this! :O

I spent college (I studied film) working in a fantastic video shop, and I loved it.

Free rentals (we were encouraged to take as many films as possible home and talk about them). The staff recommended wall was massive and constantly updated. If a customer was in the shop for more then a few minutes you were supposed to come up and ask to help them, in a sort of "what are you looking for?" As kind of a film sommelier. You didn't judge, if someone wanted a mindless romantic comedy, or action movie, or something different, you could happily recommend something. We kept some new releases on hold because we knew certain regulars would want them. We actually had a policy if people tried to rent say "Batman and Robin", we would try and convince them to rent something better, and if they walked out of the shop with the film we'd say "if you come back in a hour, we will let you return it and pick another film".

I fucking loved that job. You would not believe the stats we got, films like Citizen X were one of our top ten year in year out, purely on recommendations. It was the sort of shop if you came in looking for this weeks latest release, and it wasn't there, we'd find something you'd not seen that would scratch that itch.

What really annoyed me was the dearth of starter options. Beyond the current starter set (invariably Space Marines vs...) there's fuck all.

Agreed. The best miniature painter in my group went with Harlequin. Why? His parents were broke and grandparents bought him the set for his birthday, Because they were like 16quid.

Also Harlquin are badass.n

SPACE HULK RE-RELEASED!

I still need to finish painting the rest of the last release :(

IMG_9366.jpg

IMG_8738.jpg

Typical! I just coughed up on ebay for one of the limited edition broodlords from the 2009 release!

broodlord1.jpg

Not my painting, mine hasn't arrived yet!

ETA: it is an awesome model and much better than the standard 'nid 40k one :)

Did anyone see that the CEO stood down? After the 41% drop in profits... And they have had a weird approach to getting a new one. http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/09/games-workshop-ceo-wanted-apply-within.html

This looks to me like a company that is sick kodak style. The tighter they squeeze their customers the more will slip through their fingers..

Either they will do something very radical - resulting in a new business model, lower margins and maybe 3d printers. Or they will sink and no one will mourn them.

The rumours for Blood Angels are there will be a new Mephiston, Corbulo and possible a new Tycho, a new vehicle and a new terminator set. Ill be in for all of that and probably two packs of Terminators. The utter gouging bastards.

these space hulk models are amongst the best they ever did. fuck knows where GW will go. they've got amazingly skilled model makers and a storming IP and a huge fanbase that don't spend any money there for various reasons. a good CEO could really turn it around. but they'd need to change the mission statement about being a high-end model-maker.

Did anyone see that the CEO stood down? After the 41% drop in profits... And they have had a weird approach to getting a new one. http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/09/games-workshop-ceo-wanted-apply-within.html

This looks to me like a company that is sick kodak style. The tighter they squeeze their customers the more will slip through their fingers..

Either they will do something very radical - resulting in a new business model, lower margins and maybe 3d printers. Or they will sink and no one will mourn them.

The rumours for Blood Angels are there will be a new Mephiston, Corbulo and possible a new Tycho, a new vehicle and a new terminator set. Ill be in for all of that and probably two packs of Terminators. The utter gouging bastards.
I'm surprised they made it through the recession/banking crisis. At the time radio4 were reporting then add a success story. I guess that was smoke and mirrors. Advertising for a new boss that way is rather odd; perhaps I should have a go!
Given how expensive it all is as a hobby, something had to give.

I'm surprised GW is still going tbh given the pressures of all the digital entertainment devices and content in the world today. I mean how many kids actually really want to collect and spend hours painting models and then hours playing with them these days?

I has it, I has not found players.

I've played with myself, IYSWIM, and it seems quite good.

As far as one can play against one's self of course :D

Cheaper than GW miniatures and the rules they change every five minutes!

I have a mate who has it and says it's fairly involved but very good! I love the 40k world and things like Space Marines but there's no way in hell I'm giving GW my money for the extortionate amounts they charge...nor do I have the time to paint these days. A card game is very tempting. :D

I have a mate who has it and says it's fairly involved but very good! I love the 40k world and things like Space Marines but there's no way in hell I'm giving GW my money for the extortionate amounts they charge...nor do I have the time to paint these days. A card game is very tempting. :D
It certainly looks good, just haven't found anyone to actually play against yet! Not for want of trying though.

I really like the flavour of the Bushido figures by GCT games, the rules are free to download from their site I am so tempted back into the hobby but cant decide which ones to start collecting first
sukuratchi_promo_0.jpg

forumtemp007.JPG

icstartersetpromo_0.jpg

bu_kato.jpg

Back
Top Bottom