Any Warhammer 40k ( tabletop) players on here

Oh well. And the pic above could be these guys:

Flamers of Tzeentch

flamers-of-tzeentch-4.png

that was the chaos god I could never understand the evil of

Khorne, war- evil

nurgle- plague- evil

Slaneesh- non consensual torture and rape. Evil

whats tzeench's big evil? progress? science? a desire for knowledge?

hubris? We know that the Rubric of Ahriman didn't go so well for the chaos space marines who aligned with tzeentch...

/kills self

Hubris would be a good word, as it's what happens when ambition is taken too far.

In fact I would say that all the Chaos gods embody what might considered virtuous qualities taken so far that they become twisted into something "evil".

Khorne is the god of warriors and soldiers, who are big on honour and duty and loyalty, but those noble virtues can be pushed into bloodthirsty berzerkerism.

Nurgle is the jovial god of life - all life, even including parasites and diseases and whatnot.

Slaanesh is the god of love and bodily pleasures, but over-extend that and one can become a jaded shell engaging in more and more twisted pursuits due to de-sensitisation.

The Chaos gods also love to prey on the desperate, each aspect offering powers and advantages relevant to their nature. Khorne offers strength and martial prowess. Nurgle offers life. Slaanesh is obvious. And Tzeentch promises knowledge and power. Although by the time one realises the price of these offerings, it's too late and one has become trapped.

Reactions: Cid
I haven't bought any 40k miniatures since I was a teenager, but I've always found the universe to be utterly fascinating. There's something morbidly engaging about its relentless dystopianism.

I haven't bought any 40k miniatures since I was a teenager, but I've always found the universe to be utterly fascinating. There's something morbidly engaging about its relentless dystopianism.

its incredibly nihilistic in many ways, and I love the magpie approach to sf/fantasy it takes. Robs from everywhere.

I haven't played a game proper since Necromunda was stil a thing but I still read the Black Library offerings and codices

if you want any of the Horus Heresy books, you or anyone else, PM an email addy cos I got the lot in a big torrent a few months ago.

its incredibly nihilistic in many ways, and I love the magpie approach to sf/fantasy it takes. Robs from everywhere.

I haven't played a game proper since Necromunda was stil a thing but I still read the Black Library offerings and codices

if you want any of the Horus Heresy books, you or anyone else, PM an email addy cos I got the lot in a big torrent a few months ago.

PMs = Conversations, right?

I like some of the output from the Black Library, among them the Eisenhorn novels and the Ciaphas Cain (HERO OF THE IMPERIUM) ones as well.

Not sure how representative those are, since I've heard C.S. Goto's work is a load of crap.

Dan Anetts the don. Generally, the authors who get work in the field outside of BL are the good ones. BL publishes some degree of hack work because it can.

Awesome work! Airbrushing/stencils? Definitely puts my hamfisted efforts to shame!

Yeah, he has turned our spare bedroom into a makeshift painting studio. He uses stencils and an airbrush as well as hand painting.

He sometimes does painting on comission too.

E2A The models with the flames were a comission job - and he doesn't just paint warhammer models - he's even done an Iron Man helmet which was pretty cool.

Can anyone recommend me some paint? I'd like to buy my kids a set of paints for xmas. Brushes too.

It's not for warhammer, so it doesn't have to be the strict colourset you need for that. It's for descent, which is a a fantasy based dungeon crawler.

Cheers.

Can anyone recommend me some paint? I'd like to buy my kids a set of paints for xmas. Brushes too.

It's not for warhammer, so it doesn't have to be the strict colourset you need for that. It's for descent, which is a a fantasy based dungeon crawler.

Cheers.
You can just use regular (decent quality) acrylics. But if you want to get "proper" model paints, I like Vallejo ones. What I use is acrylics, then model paints (whatever brand - Vallejo, Revel, Warhammer) for the metallics and inks.

Again, with brushes, you don't need Warhammer or proper model ones, because they will be extremely expensive. Just use painting ones, of decent quality. My best model painting brushes are a set of very fine brushes with heavy, clear handles, which I think are intended for watercolour painting.

whats tzeench's big evil? progress? science? a desire for knowledge?

Pretty much... you have to remember that the Imperium of man is quite fucked up in its own way. The period before the Horus Heresy is the dark age of technology because it has not been blessed by the God-Emperor's light... kind of analogous to medieval/renaissance Catholic opinion of Greek philosophy I suppose. Knowledge takes a different slant when you assume the existence of the chaos gods... One of the reasons 40k lore (well, old 40k lore) is compelling. The cult of the Emperor and the corruption of His word over the 10,000 years since the heresy. Meaty lore.

I'm bumping this thread because I've dug out my old GW miniatures with a view to raising a bit of cash... am tempted to strip and paint them first though, which will probably cost more in paints and time than it's worth. But looking through them brings back memories and it seems like quite a relaxing non-drinking evening thing to do.

Oh, and the fuckers killed warhammer and replaced it with a fantasy version of 40k.

I'm still learning to paint, as you say it's a relaxing non-drinking etc way to spend an evening. On the plus side now I'm earning I can just about afford it!

They're in the process of big changes to 40k at the moment too...

Pretty much... you have to remember that the Imperium of man is quite fucked up in its own way. The period before the Horus Heresy is the dark age of technology because it has not been blessed by the God-Emperor's light... kind of analogous to medieval/renaissance Catholic opinion of Greek philosophy I suppose. Knowledge takes a different slant when you assume the existence of the chaos gods... One of the reasons 40k lore (well, old 40k lore) is compelling. The cult of the Emperor and the corruption of His word over the 10,000 years since the heresy. Meaty lore.

I'm bumping this thread because I've dug out my old GW miniatures with a view to raising a bit of cash... am tempted to strip and paint them first though, which will probably cost more in paints and time than it's worth. But looking through them brings back memories and it seems like quite a relaxing non-drinking evening thing to do.

Oh, and the fuckers killed warhammer and replaced it with a fantasy version of 40k.

Unless your painting is absolutely amazing you'll get more cash for them unpainted I think.

I've about 200+ Valhallans that have seen better days, I need to strip them off and get them repainted but it'll need to wait for a bigger flat and some more free time I think.

The Warhammer revamp is one of those things I will hold a grudge against for the rest of my life.

Unless your painting is absolutely amazing you'll get more cash for them unpainted I think.

I've about 200+ Valhallans that have seen better days, I need to strip them off and get them repainted but it'll need to wait for a bigger flat and some more free time I think.

The Warhammer revamp is one of those things I will hold a grudge against for the rest of my life.

I know, and even the very well painted ones only go for marginally more... only money seems to be in full armies extremely well painted to commission. Or I suppose golden demon and above standard one offs. And dettol is like a miracle stripper, so I should just use that. And what I'll probably actually end up doing is buy more and not sell them. Browsing eBay for 'pro painted' is hilarious though.

I know, and even the very well painted ones only go for marginally more... only money seems to be in full armies extremely well painted to commission. Or I suppose golden demon and above standard one offs. And dettol is like a miracle stripper, so I should just use that. And what I'll probably actually end up doing is buy more and not sell them. Browsing eBay for 'pro painted' is hilarious though.

Pro-Painted is comedy gold. I've heard from the gamers in my rpg group that Biostrip 20 is quite good for stripping, just be careful with resin and plastic as you can over do them. Otherwise Dettol is great until it gets wet... not making that mistake again.

Pro-Painted is comedy gold. I've heard from the gamers in my rpg group that Biostrip 20 is quite good for stripping, just be careful with resin and plastic as you can over do them. Otherwise Dettol is great until it gets wet... not making that mistake again.

This one was honest enough to admit to only being 'semi pro'. :D

I should really do some work.

A while back, fueled by nostalgia and in pursuit of a relaxing non-drinking evening thing that wasn't watching telly or arguing online, I bought a small number of Space Marines and started modelling and painting them. It's about 6 years since then, and I stalled after a couple of months, having painted a tactical squad of 5, a scout squad of 5 and a Rhino. But I've dug them out again and sure enough it really is a good relaxing non-drinking evening thing to do, almost meditative. Highly recommended.
My chapter is based on the Red Army. They have olive drab power armour with lots of red bits. The Rhino says 'Neither Terra Nor Terror' on the front and I'm planning on working in plenty of geeky leftist in-jokes into the fluff.

Thing is, a lot of Warhammer nerds are themselves in their 30s and older. It's been around for at least thirty years, and it's a fucking expensive hobby so having an independent income is more or less required. It's a mildly amusing article but to be honest it's based on perceptions of the hobby that are a decade or two out of date.
It is me.

Apart from any reference to alcohol, which I believe it includes. It's also 7yrs too young.

I Warhammer on my phone these days.

WH QUEST TWOOO COMING SOOOON OMFGOMFGOMDF

Edit: tbf, I also probably have less disposable income these days than I did when I was 12, too.

Back
Top Bottom