Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Any 11pm Brexit fireworks near you?

They have been going off here since 8pm. I suppose it must have been new year's day somewhere in the world at that time.

Ohhh, is that what that was?!

Was on the phone to a friend and some started going off at 11pm and I did comment "you're an hour early, folks".

Been going off around here since 8. Shock and awe tribute act I think. Cannot confirm any Brexit related though one loud bang at 11.

The ardent Brexiteers were supposed to celebrate by setting off fireworks at 11pm when we ceased links with EU.
Mmm but if they’ve been going off all evening anyway it would just blend into the background. Probably Remainers trying to dilute the force of Brexit.

They haven't received their orders!

Or their reasons for voting out were an entirely personal rag bag of nonsense and prejudices. I know for a fact that my taxi driver mate, a genuinely good friend, will be going to buy a bag of potatoes from his farmer neighbour's doorstep tomorrow, after all these years when Europe has apparently 'made it illegal' for him to do so. Meanwhile my next door neighbour will be celebrating the return of control of our waters as a whole, despite the fact we still seem to be signed up to a quota system with Europe. One where our quotas for fish we as a nation actually eat have in some areas now been reduced.

Still, hooray for catching then rotting mackerel, or selling our mackerel quotas back to Europe under worse terms.

The fireworks here were far enough away that they were drowned out by the frantic barking of local dogs!

I'd guess the earlier fireworks were for kids who couldn't stay up late. But there were a few brexitty fireworks at 11pm.

The tool and metal shop round the corner from me had a really quite good display (they also sell fireworks). Not at 11pm tho - more like 8pm. My youngest works there and told me that they use around £20,000 (retail) of fireworks and am guessing he had a lot of excess stock to get rid off (they are just having another go-round right now).. It is fucking perishing outside - freezing fog, ice, just grim. There has already been a scuffle on the green and general shouty mayhem- I Will not be going outside, rescuing drunks, though.

My dad let off a load but just because it meant a United Ireland would be closer than ever before. Yeh he actually done that lol.

Back
Top Bottom