Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Antic pub antics

I like The Job Centre, and don't see what all the fuss is about. It's no different from naming a pub after an old dairy, old post office or old dispensary. And it has a vacancies board that anyone can put jobs on, so it probably helps more people now than it did in its old incarnation.

It's offensive. I am sure the unemployed in Peckham go there not.:facepalm:

They're applying again to have a roof terrace at the Dogstar.

When I was still at the Mansions I opposed it. After what happened at the Prince of Wales I doubted it would just be a roof terrace for drinks. To there credit the planning officer turned down the original application. I guess as they saw what happened when the allowed the Prince of Wales one.

I would be pissed off if it was turned into an ironick theme pub, when so many better pubs are shutting.
I've been there and it's not an ironic theme pub, just one who's name is based on it's former use.

Two other Antic pubs used to be Post Offices and have names which reflect that. Are you offended by that too? All those disgruntled Post Office customers?

I've been there and it's not an ironic theme pub, just one who's name is based on it's former use.

Two other Antic pubs used to be Post Offices and have names which reflect that. Are you offended by that too? All those disgruntled Post Office customers?
Have they any which used to be abattoirs or mosques?

Reactions: CH1
It wasn't cheap. Five dishes and a beer and a herbal tea came to about £37. That was between two.
It's all relative though isn't it. If the five dishes were big enough to constitute a full meal, and more importantly if the food was enjoyable and of quality, then £19 per person as the final bill including drinks doesn't strike me as expensive, certainly not more than dinner out at most restaurants would be.

Of course, Antic are one of the very, very few companies opening up pubs all over the place - and they usually sell reasonably priced booze too.

BTW, I see the Dogstar from the train every morning as it passes through Brixton station, and I think I can see where they got the name Antic from....the top of the building has ATLANTIC carved into it (recently painted red)
brixton-dogstar-atlantic-03.jpg

Im guessing ANTIC is the last bit of ATLANTIC?

ETA: Just seen that John the UNicorn on Rye Lane is an antic pub...now that one really is offensive

Last edited:
Of course, Antic are one of the very, very few companies opening up pubs all over the place - and they usually sell reasonably priced booze too.
I like Antic.

They take deadloss pubs and somehow make them into nice, relaxed places with slightly mismatched furniture and granny oddments. And they usually do really nice food that doesn't come out of a microwave.

And they're not expensive.

I like Antic.

They take deadloss pubs and somehow make them into nice, relaxed places with slightly mismatched furniture and granny oddments. And they usually do really nice food that doesn't come out of a microwave.

And they're not expensive.

They have a bit of a reputation for not paying their suppliers though.

They have a bit of a reputation for not paying their suppliers though.
There may not be a lot to like about the company but there's a lot to like about an outfit opening loads of new and generally affordable pubs at a time when so many are closing. And - AFAIK - the current Antic company don't have "bit of a reputation for not paying their suppliers," so I'd be careful repeating that. I think you're referring to the previous incarnation. This is - technically - a different company. All bollocks of course, but that's business.

Rumour that antic will take over Thomas Farely in Thornton Heath which is currently closed. So although i have reservations, not just about Antic, but also the clientele that are likely to go , at least it would be a pub.
BigMoaner can you confirm?

Rumour that antic will take over Thomas Farely in Thornton Heath which is currently closed. So although i have reservations, not just about Antic, but also the clientele that are likely to go , at least it would be a pub.
BigMoaner can you confirm?
That's always my bottom line. If a pub is open, its owners can change. If it's gone, then it's gone forever. Antic are opening/reopening shitloads of pubs, and for that I very much respect them.

I am wondering what is going on with the Royal Bell in Bromley. This historic, but derelict, pub was taken over by Antic nearly 2 years ago, yet I haven't seen any sign of them opening.

Back
Top Bottom