Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Antic pub antics

Also out of area - but in quite poor taste IMHO. Is this hipster irony? I'm sure there's scope for replication in Brixton (or Camberwell Green, if the churches don't have the freehold of that ex-Job Centre)
"The Job Centre" (Deptford High Street)
JobCentre-14.jpg
http://jobcentredeptford.com/

Barf:

nathanbarley_11.jpg

The Job Centre, which takes its name from the employment agency that once occupied the venue, is Deptford’s newest pub from the Antic Collective.

Located on Deptford High Street, only a stone’s throw away from the newly developed train station, the Job Centre boasts a spacious bar, lounging and dining area on street level and creative events space and private hire room on the upper floor, allowing it to cater for all its community needs.

The bar is now open, serving locally sourced and brewed beverages as well as a superb and ever-changing selection of craft beers, spirits, wines to keep you on your toes. The kitchen is due to open soon, serving a contemporary British menu of small plates and sharing boards. We will also be serving a brunch menu on Saturday morning to coincide with the market, with the potential to serve brunch on Wednesdays and Fridays in the near future.

The Job Centre’s interior is an eclectic mix of vintage décor and quirky furnishings. Using Deptford’s unique offer of bric-a-brac shops and markets, The Job Centre’s design will be heavily influenced by items bought and found in the local area. Don’t be surprised to be served food on that plate you were looking at in the market last week!

Its friendly charm makes the Job Centre the perfect destination for a market pit-stop coffee, or an after-work drink with friends. With turntables at the end of the bar, you will only ever hear music on vinyl from our extensive record collection.

Despite the touchy-feely niceness of the laughably misleading 'collective' description, it's still better to have a pub, that to not to have a pub.
Even a pub in an old job centre run by a company with a reputation for financial eyebrow raising.

*conflicted

It's a nice enough bar with Old Rosie on tap, so I've been a few times. Really nice bar staff. I like it but the Bird's Nest is better.

It's a nice enough bar with Old Rosie on tap, so I've been a few times. Really nice bar staff. I like it but the Bird's Nest is better.
What are the prices? They look as though they major on ale. Presumably more Craft Beer prices than Wetherspoons.

A friend of mine turned up late in the pub on Monday after drinking copious amounts of Old Rosie at the Effra Social. He was in a fine state :)

I had most unusual (and good) seafood, asparagus, samphire, Cornish cheese puffs and Hackney American beer breakfast in The Job Centre the weekend before last. While I am admittedly verging towards hipsterism sometimes these days, the name did still feel slightly wrong though.

I like The Job Centre, and don't see what all the fuss is about. It's no different from naming a pub after an old dairy, old post office or old dispensary. And it has a vacancies board that anyone can put jobs on, so it probably helps more people now than it did in its old incarnation.

I like The Job Centre, and don't see what all the fuss is about. It's no different from naming a pub after an old dairy, old post office or old dispensary. And it has a vacancies board that anyone can put jobs on, so it probably helps more people now than it did in its old incarnation.
When was the last time you signed on?

I had most unusual (and good) seafood, asparagus, samphire, Cornish cheese puffs and Hackney American beer breakfast in The Job Centre the weekend before last. While I am admittedly verging towards hipsterism sometimes these days, the name did still feel slightly wrong though.
How much was this cornucopia of delights?

Back
Top Bottom