Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Antic (Dogstar owners) opening Effra Social, a new family pub next to Hootananny

Am I right in thinking that Antic are also the new oweners (with refused planning permission) of the Harmony Bar?

That's an awful lot of old Brixton pubs being brought back to life. I feel like I ought to be more pleased about that than I actually am.
Yes. You are right.

The thing is, if a pub stays open it can change over time. Once it's closed, it's gone forever.

I think this scenario is quite likely. Lambeth does not appear to have a plan to avoid it.

I'd say that Lambeth wants us to go like that. The noise and the mess shows that their night time economy is bringing in the bucks.

I'd say that Lambeth wants us to go like that. The noise and the mess shows that their night time economy is bringing in the bucks.
Yes - but they haven't really got the balls to admit that it's going to be full steam ahead and fuck the locals. Do any councillors actually live right in the centre?

ETA. The Antic pubs, with the exception of Dogstar and Tram & Social do seem to be mostly pub pubs with regular midnight closing.

This is great news, Antic run some of the best pubs in London, good beer, good friendly atmosphere. Really can't see the problem

For me it's all about whether these places are going to be opened (and run) as pubs - ie licensed to midnightish and free - or as clubs: disruptive and exclusive.

Fair point, I was refering more to the likes of the Balham Bowls Club and The Antelope in Tooting rather than the Dogstar type place

For me it's all about whether these places are going to be opened (and run) as pubs - ie licensed to midnightish and free - or as clubs: disruptive and exclusive.
Well, this specific place (Effra Social) will be a pub. No dancing. Last orders at midnight or 1am on weekends.

Well, this specific place (Effra Social) will be a pub. No dancing. Last orders at midnight or 1am on weekends.
I think the Crypt one is going to be the same. Licence is 'til 6 but they only have planning until 12.

In that case great, noise won't be an issue as the Hoot will always be louder. Sometime it seems people prefer to be surrounded by derelict buildings!

In that case great, noise won't be an issue as the Hoot will always be louder. Sometime it seems people prefer to be surrounded by derelict buildings!
That's not quite true really, is it? The Social backs on to about 50 flats. Their gardens are only 2-3m long. You could almost touch the backs of the flats from the Social's garden. The sound of 200-300 people chattering until 1am has the potential to be pretty disturbing.

A condition of the license is that the garden will be closed at 21:30 each night.

This is great news, Antic run some of the best pubs in London, good beer, good friendly atmosphere. Really can't see the problem
they have a few in Hackney as well, opened one near me a few months ago, The Clapton Hart, and I really like it.

The have The Bohemia in Finchley. It the only place in Finchley that does a decent Sunday roast and for that reason, we're in!

I nicked a British flag from there once in my mod days :)

Looks like Antic are doing a decent enough job in East London though:
Antic Ltd has been credited with helping to revitalise Leytonstone High Road when it reopened the historic Red Lion last year. It has gone on to win several awards including CAMRA's East London Pub of the Year.

Antic bought a property in W. Norwood, which then turned out to be unsuitable (I think it had subsidence or something - not quite sure) and resold it again. They are currently, quite publicly, on the look out for another one in W. Norwood. I see they're opening one in Sydenham too.

Back
Top Bottom