Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Annoying Adverts

skyscraper101

0891 50 50 50
Simon Cowell hawking Barclaycard

"So when Barclaycard told me about their repayment calculator, which shows me how by paying a little bit more each month can lead to me paying less interest. I was shocked"

wank.gif

What else am I meant to do when they come on when I’m watching the telly? [emoji53]

If there's something I want to watch on a commercial channel, I record it & watch later, skipping the ads.

If it's something I want to watch virtually straight away, I'll set it to record, and start watching it after allowing enough time to skip the ads (approx. 10-12 minutes per hour length of the programme), EG, a 2-hour programme will be safe to start watching around 20-24 minutes in, skip all the ads & finish watching at around the time the 'live broadcast' ends.

If there's something I want to watch on a commercial channel, I record it & watch later, skipping the ads.

If it's something I want to watch virtually straight away, I'll set it to record, and start watching it after allowing enough time to skip the ads (approx. 10-12 minutes per hour length of the programme), EG, a 2-hour programme will be safe to start watching around 20-24 minutes in, skip all the ads & finish watching at around the time the 'live broadcast' ends.

Oh I see. I don’t have anything that records so wouldn’t be able to do that (and tbh I’m not really that arsed about seeing some ads anyway). I admire the dedication to the cause to avoid having to watch them.

Oh I see. I don’t have anything that records so wouldn’t be able to do that (and tbh I’m not really that arsed about seeing some ads anyway). I admire the dedication to the cause to avoid having to watch them.

Oh, fair enough.

There's no aerial here, just a dish, so I brought a Freesat box, seemed silly not to get one that could record. There's no real dedication involved, you just go into the TV guide, highlight the programme, and push the 'R' button. I tend to set it up on a Sunday for everything I want for the week ahead, up to the following Sat. or Sun., takes a long as having a cup of tea.

On replay, the 'skip forward' button is set for 60 seconds, so 5 or 6 rapid presses tends get you to the end of ad break, if I over shoot, the 'skip back' is set for 15 seconds, it takes just 5-10 seconds to avoid a 5 or 6 minute break. :oldthumbsup:

You can also rewind 'live TV', whilst watching it, if you miss a bit of conversation or action - now that is the work of the devil! :eek:

Seems to be a load of messing about to me. Just make a cup of tea and don’t watch the adverts. Most of them are a load of rubbish.

Seems to be a load of messing about to me. Just make a cup of tea and don’t watch the adverts. Most of them are a load of rubbish.

Not at all, it takes about half an hour a week to set-up recording everything I want in the coming week, bearing in mind for a new series you only have to set it once to record the lot.

Most channels* are allowed 12 minutes of 'spot ads' per hour at peak times, add in promotional trailers & sponsorship 'tags' at the start & end of each break, you are looking at up to 3 x 5 minute breaks an hour, 15 minutes in total - I can skip past all that shit in under a minute per hour. I certainly wouldn't want 3 cups of tea an hour! :D

* Public Service Broadcasters (channels 3 to 5) are limited to 8 minutes of 'spot ads' per hour at peak times, so about 10 minutes with the other shit added in.

Have to say I do miss the days when I had Sky Plus and used to have several things pre-setup to record and I'd wizz past the ads.

That said, TV used to be less shit back then. i think I'd struggle to find more than a handful of things I'd bother to record in advance nowadays. Especially as almost everything is on demand now.

I'm annoyed by the music in the Co op ad that's on all4 or whatever they call it. I feel I should know what it is but I can't make out the words. It's sort of ska punk

Have I been saying guru wrong all these years or is the announcer on the Car Gurus advert taking the piss?
I thought it was gooooo rooooo, not like the end of kangaroo.

I'm annoyed by the music in the Co op ad that's on all4 or whatever they call it. I feel I should know what it is but I can't make out the words. It's sort of ska punk
I was sent on a geographic wild goose chase because I thought was Sidcup Beat and not Simka. Easy mistake to make?

That Velux Extensions ad has soared into top place for me:

"We spend so much time indoors..."

YES, YES I KNOW, FUCK OFF!!!

Fevertree tonic. I am sure it is lovely. BUT...

If you think 3/4 of my drink is mixer, you have clearly never seen me pour a drink.

Also I am not paying for a tonic that is as expensive per ml as the fucking gin that I buy.
Agreed. However my wife is a fever tree drinker and actually uses a measure to measure it out . . . Then sticks five ice in it. I'm quite glad of it actually, because it's such a ball ache, she probably only ends up having two or three and doesn't get smashed.

Adverts on Youtube have been even worse than usual since all this started - recently lots of "sell shit using Amazon" and other get-rich quick schemes...

But also cheap tat - and here is a SECOND dodgy gadget for unblocking ears.

Just how many people are there with this much gunge in their ears ?

2_366cd9c5-83db-4bc3-a327-2a7a636502a6_large.gif
earthingy.png

Last edited:
The weird thing is - as one who apparently has the gene, in Asia, where doubtless these things are conceived, they tend to have dry earwax that crumbles and falls out by itself ... perhaps they just assume that everyone in the rest of the world has a massive earwax problem.
At one place I went to work when I was 17, one of the old-timers felt it necessary to tell me that during national service he was renowned for his ability to extract earwax with a hair clip ... :hmm:

That said, when I was younger, I had my ears syringed a few times ...

EDIT:- ear-candling ... :hmm:

WTAF ?

Instead of chucking some in your shopping basket every once in a while, have your laundry detergent posted to you in small quantities... :confused:

smol.png

Back
Top Bottom