Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Angela Rayner's time is up

I have to say I've always liked Angela Rayner. She's a bit lary, likes a jolly and seemed to be more of a left wing union type than most of Labour these days. But it seems she's not only sided with some of the more right wing people in Labour recently but she's also under attack over her council house and living arrangements balls up. The Tories and the Tory press are loving this, with that wretch Kuenssberg getting in on the act with this extraordinary quote she attributed to a 'source that knew Angela Rayner well':

Everyone says they want to have a woman around who drinks and smokes and makes jokes.
Then they get a woman who drinks and smokes and makes jokes, then they say, 'oh, we didn't mean quite like that'".

Whatever her politics, this seems to be the only way Britain can deal with a loud an aggressive woman. Remember the story about her flashing Boris? I'm disappointed by this country but I also think her time is up.

The allegations against her have gone down from claims of dodgy tax issues to maybe being registered to vote where she shouldn't have been. It's a load of nonsense and it's typical of the media to be pushing this. Given deputy leader of the lp is in the members' gift I don't suppose she's going anywhere soon. But she has one of the worst jobs in politics, having strong views but being deputy to the slimiest turd in British politics who has no principles whatsoever

She unsettles predominately male public school Tories because of her gender and class. It grates on them that she has the position she holds.

They sneer at the idea she cohabited with her partner and might have made a chicken feed financial gain on buying a 70k council house and therefore can label her a hypocrite.

The police getting involved, beyond the time limits of a potential prosecution, is risible. Fucking Ashcroft is a parasite non-dom who has never paid what he owes. But it's ok if you are the right sort of person. It helps to have a client press that will run any old bollocks these muppets come up with.

I don't have much truck with Labour in it's current configuration, but I have time for Rayner. She is who she is, a product of a poor and disadvantaged childhood who cut her teeth as a union rep. Exactly the sort of person usually excluded from power and holding power to account. What would she have known about tax law at the time anyway?

The Tories are utterly desperate for anything they can get that might gain any traction and think Rayner will crack with another "tory scum" moment that the Sun, Mail and Express can get ten days of headlines from. The dismal cunts.

Still, the sun has come out this evening in Flintshire, isn't that nice?

She can always resign all sadly then run again at the GE where she'll obviously romp it - so she'd be back within a year, and up on some excellent moral high ground too.

But yeah I agree it probably won't come to that, it's all so transparent and lame.

This stems from a book written by Michael Ashcroft, who isn't the most reliable source. He lied to whichever Tory leader it was at the time (Hague, IDS or Howard) about moving his tax affairs back to the UK when becoming a Lord, and then co-wrote the unsubstantiated nonsense about Cameron fucking a dead pig.

That book has been serialised by the Daily Mail, which is owned by Jonathan Harmsworth, who is a non-dom who lies about where he lives.

I have to say I've always liked Angela Rayner. She's a bit lary, likes a jolly and seemed to be more of a left wing union type than most of Labour these days. But it seems she's not only sided with some of the more right wing people in Labour recently but she's also under attack over her council house and living arrangements balls up. The Tories and the Tory press are loving this, with that wretch Kuenssberg getting in on the act with this extraordinary quote she attributed to a 'source that knew Angela Rayner well':

Everyone says they want to have a woman around who drinks and smokes and makes jokes.
Then they get a woman who drinks and smokes and makes jokes, then they say, 'oh, we didn't mean quite like that'".

Whatever her politics, this seems to be the only way Britain can deal with a loud an aggressive woman. Remember the story about her flashing Boris? I'm disappointed by this country but I also think her time is up.
I've never heard anyone say that. It's kind of a weird thing to say..? :confused:

This might not be helped by the far left of the party who think they might benefit by ousting her and then fighting for the deputy leadership.

How would they do that - who gets to vote for the deputy leader? If it's MPs then good luck to the left in getting enough votes.

She seems fairly confident with the whole I'll resign if I've done wrong thing... a bit like Starmer when the Mail were relentlessly pushing his supposed lockdown activities. Makes you think it's a load of codswallop because surely if she knew she'd done wrong wouldn't it look better to hold her hands up early on rather than dragging it out.

She's blatantly guilty of this but I'm sure will get off. They've all got their snouts in the trough, doesn't matter what side of the house you sit on. I don't know why people upthread are assuming her gender has anything to do with it.

It's a bit rich of Rishi to be going for the jugular though on the basis of tax affairs.

She's blatantly guilty of this but I'm sure will get off. They've all got their snouts in the trough, doesn't matter what side of the house you sit on. I don't know why people upthread are assuming her gender has anything to do with it.

It's a bit rich of Rishi to be going for the jugular though on the basis of tax affairs.
I was pulling up the OP on their use of language wrt female politicians. It wouldn't have been said about a male politician. Women are seen as loud and aggressive for speaking as men do without comment, because of entrenched sexist attitudes. It's not just politicians, obv. I have been described as aggressive, confrontational etc, for simply being direct in a work situation, many times. It's frustrating and tiresome to deal with.

I was pulling up the OP on their use of language wrt female politicians. It wouldn't have been said about a male politician. Women are seen as loud and aggressive for speaking as men do without comment, because of entrenched sexist attitudes. It's not just politicians, obv. I have been described as aggressive, confrontational etc, for simply being direct in a work situation, many times. It's frustrating and tiresome to deal with.
Just to be clear, I was really echoing the medias description of her. Her gender has 'got a lot to do with it' because it's often the only thing the media focuses on with Angela.

Compared to the massive fraud/tax dodging carried out by Tories this is chickenfeed, so agree a non-story

However I have no time for her because

1. As a supposed former Corbyn loyalist she is now a turncoat, consorting with the utter scum that is Starmer

2. That she sat idly by while police removed a grieving Palestinian from a Labour meeting is utterly shameful: think it was on Owen Jones’ youtube channel? Made even worse by her posing (in Corbyn era) in the mans shop for a photo wearing a Palestinian scarf.

As such, she will get no sympathy from me: she is (threadbare) Left cover

Worth remembering what the Bloody Sunday Trust had to say about "shoot Brazilian electricians terrorists first and ask questions later" Rayner:
(paywall-busted version)

A BID to invite Labour deputy leader Angela Rayner to a leading trades union's conference was blocked following a "decisive" intervention by the Bloody Sunday Trust.

An emergency motion at last week's Unison conference in Brighton sought to overturn a decision by the union's executive not to invite Ms Rayner to address the event.

The union's national executive council (NEC) had 'disinvited' Ms Rayner - and one-time Unison representative - after she said in February that police should “shoot your terrorists and ask questions second.”

The remarks were criticised at the time by former shadow home secretary Diane Abbott and Sonali Bhattacharyya of Momentum, who said Ms Rayner was advocating an approach that led to the "assassination" of Jean Charles de Menezes, the Brazilian man shot dead Metropolitan Police officers in 2005.

Ms Rayner's exclusion from the conference was also supported by Unison's Community Branch NI, whose chairperson Niall McCarroll spoke against the motion that sought to overturn the NEC's decision.

"Angela Rayner’s comments in February of this year – that it was OK for police to shoot first and ask questions later – were met with disbelief and caused hurt for a lot of people, especially those who have lost family members through state brutality – this hurt has been particularly felt by the Bloody Sunday families," Mr McCarroll told the conference.

He said the Labour deputy leader's "dangerous" and "reckless" remarks would "give a green light to those out there who are twisted enough to sanction and carry out such atrocities as Bloody Sunday".

During his contribution, the Derry-based trades unionist read a statement from Tony Doherty, chair of the Bloody Sunday Trust, whose father Patrick was among the civil rights marchers shot dead by the British Army in January 1972.

The statement said: "Politicians need not jam the door open whereby innocent people will lose their lives. Hundreds of innocent people in Northern Ireland were murdered because they were innocent and whose names were then besmirched as terrorists by the security forces.

"If we have learnt anything from our troubled decades it is that fair and equal application of the rule of law is what we should be struggling for."

Mr McCarroll told The Irish News that the intervention from the chair of the Bloody Sunday Trust was "instrumental in swaying people's opinion and ensuring the motion was quashed".

"Everybody I spoke to afterwards said Tony's words were powerful and decisive in convincing them to to vote against the motion inviting Angela Rayner to the conference," he said.

I have been pulled up many times for the same thing. In fact this afternoon I have my latest PIP session on this. And I'm a bloke. I'm very direct and it can come across aggressive. Nothing to do with my gender.

Back
Top Bottom