Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Angel pub on Coldharbour Lane becomes arty community space run by Brick Box

You ever try knocking on the door? Might seem insane, but it's worked wonders for me in the past.
Do you often go around knocking on the doors of blacked out buildings with no name?
How very strange.

Sorry, I've got far better things to do.

Do you often go around knocking on the doors of blacked out buildings with no name?
How very strange.

Sorry, I've got far better things to do.

If there's a party going on? Hell yeah. Really, this is your arguement?

Anyway, I'm off, see you in October.

So it is effectively unadvertised to anyone who's not already 'in the know' about who they are, what they're doing and where to find their website/Twitter account.

Of course, if they'd put a poster up in the window....
I don't see what's wrong with this. But the problem is Brickbox claiming that they wish to welcome just about anyone who walks in off the street. Bad move on their part.

Because the pub they used to drink in has now been closed, bought up by a property developer and is currently hosting unadvertised events?

Or because it's part of a cultural thing?
Fair point, though I don't think it's obligatory for those that take over a venue to try and attract people who won't spend any money in there.

Why not follow them?
We already do, but this is an unfunded, spare time venture that hasn't got the time or resources to trawl through every Twitter stream trying to find any events amongst all the usual guff.

Instead, we generally rely on venues making the effort to get in touch with us and forward their event details, along with any flyers and promo information. That's something the Brick Box hasn't chosen to do, but if they do decide to send us their event details, then they'll get listed (if that's what they want, of course).

We already do, but this is an unfunded, spare time venture that hasn't got the time or resources to trawl through every Twitter stream trying to find any events amongst all the usual guff.

Instead, we generally rely on venues making the effort to get in touch with us and forward their event details, along with any flyers and promo information. That's something the Brick Box hasn't chosen to do, but if they do decide to send us their event details, then they'll get listed (if that's what they want, of course).

Slightly off topic but not quite. I got the impression Brixton Buzz was all about music... if not, I'll drop you a mail about any future events I run.:)

Slightly off topic but not quite. I got the impression Brixton Buzz was all about music... if not, I'll drop you a mail about any future events I run.:)
It's mainly about music and clubs, but we're slowly growing to cover a wider range of events. Feel free to send in your events!

IMG-20120710-WA0010-1.jpg

Ah great! The vaguely-worded, barely noticeable little scrap of paper in the window that doesn't bother to explain what they actually do is now back, but this time with a chunk of the message covered up. Brilliant!

It rather begs the question: How does an organisation so adept at securing vast sums of public funding manage to become so hopelessly incompetent and inept when it comes to doing something as simple as sticking up a notice in the window?

Anyone would think, well, you know.... :facepalm:

The application has been resubmitted.
All the documents including some snazzy 3D views can be seen on Lambeth website here
Main change seems to be that roof terraces have been removed.

From the Design & Access statement:

5.3 The proposed use of the site is for a combination of residential and A4 to the
ground floor with the public house being reinstated.

The application has been resubmitted.
All the documents including some snazzy 3D views can be seen on Lambeth website here
Main change seems to be that roof terraces have been removed.

From the Design & Access statement:
It would be ace if a proper community pub returned. But I doubt it will.

*laughs at teuchter's fail

seriously tho teuchter, likers and all the people pointing the finger at ed for getting frustrated, do you think they are making enough effort to engage or not?
how is their shit poster in any way adequate or suitable?
what could possibly be the excuse or reason a proper poster or series of posters can't be made?? :confused:

seriously tho teuchter, likers and all the people pointing the finger at ed for getting frustrated, do you think they are making enough effort to engage or not?
how is their shit poster in any way adequate or suitable?
what could possibly be the excuse or reason a proper poster or series of posters can't be made?? :confused:

I was thinking maybe a lack of money or time. But then I realised it's more likely to be because they are too busy burning babies or something altogether more sinister involving their secret supper clubs.

how can knocking up a poster in word take more time?
how much does it cost?

pathetic non excuses.

I was thinking maybe a lack of money or time.
Three months to make a simple poster? LOL. Your excuses get more laughable by the minute.

As for the supposed lack of money, I calculate a A0 poster could be made for about 50p - even less when the place has access to arty, creative types, "well versed in providing transformative tools and essential inspiration in order to improve social, emotional, economic and cultural health for all."

Back
Top Bottom