Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Angel pub on Coldharbour Lane becomes arty community space run by Brick Box

They're under the age of 30 and they dress funny and they have silly haircuts. It's not natural.
Quite often very affected voices too. They try to sound uninterested in stuff that isn't in their narrow field of interest and affect an air of ennui. In my experience they don't much care for middle-aged women doing their shopping and speak about them in disparaging terms as if they can't be heard. :mad:

They're under the age of 30 and they dress funny and they have silly haircuts. It's not natural.
They're not all under 30, you know.
An above average* disposable income often comes into the equation too.

Hipster is a term frequently used to refer to a subculture of young, recently settled urban middle class adults and older teenagers.

Hipster culture has been described as a "mutating, trans-Atlantic melting pot of styles, tastes and behavior." Christian Lorentzen of Time Out New York argues that "hipsterism fetishizes the authentic" elements of all of the "fringe movements of the postwar era—beat, hippie, punk, even grunge," and draws on the "cultural stores of every unmelted ethnicity," and "regurgitates it with a winking inauthenticity."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_(contemporary_subculture)

(*compared to the area they're often strutting around in)

What does a Hipster look like, o wise one?

nathan-barley-20090623192634_625x352.jpg

Eris, Athene, and Ares, I saw two hipsters like that right at the front of the top of a double decker a couple of weeks ago - poncey hair, tight turn up jeans, permabronzed, and OMFG the shoes! I didn't realise there were shoes which conspicuously labelled the wearer in rhyming slang. "Hunt", if you must know. :rolleyes:

Eris, Athene, and Ares, I saw two hipsters like that right at the front of the top of a double decker a couple of weeks ago - poncey hair, tight turn up jeans, permabronzed, and OMFG the shoes! I didn't realise there were shoes which conspicuously labelled the wearer in rhyming slang. "Hunt", if you must know. :rolleyes:

Nathan's more of a Hoxton internet bubble character though isn't he?

The Reverend is most likely to have moved to Brixton. Or have moved back to Wild West Norwood.

Rosie from brickbox did reply to me re the lottery money. she said it's fine for me to post it up and she's aware of this thread - maybe she'll post on it herself..

(she's also said that line about the street drinkers/where the bins are kept is a bit shit and is going)

Many thanks for getting in touch and for your questions. The BBC news piece misled a few people so I'll explain this and also what The Brick Box is trying to do.

We were visited by Prince Charles the other week because we had some free business advice from a scheme called Business in the Community, of which he is the patron. It was the scheme that received the funding in order to role out BitC across the company. We haven't ever received any cash funding from the scheme, rather 'in kind' support in the form of a team away day to help us formulate a strategic plan. The news piece did make it sound like we have got five million pounds of funding though so it's an easy assumption to make!

As for us, we are a social enterprise and community interest company, which means by law 75% of our profits will go back in to community projects. We aim to be part funded by grants, and part by commercial activity, which means we can be self-sufficient and not solely rely on grant money. In the past we have received funding from pots like the Outer London Fund but our last bit of funding ran out in March (for our Tooting project) so since then my 3 colleagues and I have been working for free.

A big part of our philosophy is inclusivity so I'll explain a bit more about the ticket prices too. In the absence of any funding, we have to run events which do not run at a loss otherwise we will simply no longer exist as a company. In order to do this, we charge a 5 pound entry fee on the door for our night time events because we need to pay security and bar staff, utilities, etc. Since events usually include a varied programme of performances, music, installations, reasonable drinks prices, and so on, we feel this is quite a good deal and people seem happy to support us in this way.

When we have enough money, we run day time events (at a loss because we still have to pay security) with free entry. We try to have a balance of both cheap ticketed and free events - the former funding the latter - but currently, overheads of working at 354 Coldharbour Lane means we have had 5 x 5 pound ticketed events (3 of these with a supper option) and 2 free events (with cheaper food). Not the balance we'd like but we have to work with this whilst not being funded. And believe me, we are doing everything we can to be funded and put on more 'generous', non-commercial activities!

The 40 pound tickets you mention is chosen by the supper club chefs. We don't take any money from them but let them use a part of our space. Some people really enjoy these experiences, others don't and can just pay 5 pounds and not eat out. I think it's also worth mentioning that we've been supporting caterers whose food isn't as expensive. Two weeks ago, we had Betiel, a lovely local lady who is starting up her own Eritrean coffee and food business, in the space. The event was free and the food was delicious, locally made and very affordable.

I hope this makes things a bit clearer. You can obviously read more about us on our website but if you'd like to pop in, meet us and chat a bit more, I'd be more than happy to make you a cuppa. We're ALWAYS wanting to hear from people so if you think we should be doing things differently, it's really important to hear so I'm grateful for your email.
Rosie

So no funding at all from the lottery?

So no funding at all from the lottery?
As far as I can work out, they've had at least £125k funding from various grants. There's probably more - maybe you should reply and ask her to clarify what funding they have received.

I was under the impression that they were ultimately benefiting from a £4.8 million lottery grant channelled via the Business Connectors scheme (obviously they weren't the only beneficiaries) and that's why Prince Charles was visiting them.

I imagine some of the local community might have liked to have seen Prince Charles. Shame they weren't invited.

Thanks for posting Gabi.

And just to add, I am well aware that a 40 pound ticket isn't affordable for everyone so that particular element of the night is indeed not inclusive in terms of price. However, it is a response to a local group of people who requested to use the space for their new business and it proves popular with a specific group in Brixton. And supper club or not, the events are ALWAYS either 5 pound or free to get in.
The bit on the website about forgotten spaces wasn't meant to refer to Brixton as a bad or forgotten place but rather meant to refer to working in non-traditional spaces which aren't theatres, galleries, or designated for arts, ie. a derelict pub or ailing market. But I see how it can come across the wrong way and I'd hate to offend any one who thinks it's a comment on Brixton so I will defintely change this.
I can't stress how hard we are working to make this opportunity work for as many people as possible. We've already been able to work with local and not local people, artists, and groups, provide free events and training, and have had great feedback so I'm really proud of that. Obviously there's lots of work still to do though, and there always will be!
And finally I'd like to reiterate that if anyone would like to come down, speak to me or my colleagues, and be involved in anyway we can facilitate, please do get in touch on hello@thebrickbox.co.uk
Thank you,
Rosie

I can't stress how hard we are working to make this opportunity work for as many people as possible. We've already been able to work with local and not local people, artists, and groups, provide free events and training, and have had great feedback so I'm really proud of that. Obviously there's lots of work still to do though, and there always will be!
Hi Rosie. Good to have you posting here.

Could you tell me why the windows are kept permanently blacked out (apart from HRH visits, of course) and why events are never advertised locally?

Surely you must be able to work out how that looks to the local community?

Yeh she seems ok to me. she's answered my question re the lottery/prince charles' visit anyway.... just a shit beeb piece, as per usual..

not sure an aggresive response to her appearance on this site is quite the right way to get answers btw (not lookin at anyone)

As far as I can work out, they've had at least £125k funding from various grants. There's probably more - maybe you should reply and ask her to clarify what funding they have received.

Various grants does not equal Lottery grants.

You've already pointed out the two Mayor's Fund grants - which aren't the same organisation. The BLF (Big Lottery Fund) and Brick Box doesn't come up with any google hits, other than the BITC grant (not to Brick Box) and BB's involvement in being a case study as to the support the BITC can give.

Grants are restricted funds to deliver agreed outputs (ie. events, workshops) and outcomes (things (and difference). You can't suddenly take the grant from a Tooting based project and then spend it in Brick Box in Brixton.

Hi Rosie. Good to have you posting here.

Could you tell me why the windows are kept permanently blacked out (apart from HRH visits, of course) and why events are never advertised locally?

Surely you must be able to work out how that looks to the local community?

Hello,

Re. the windows, they are boarded at the moment just to make the place doubly secure. They are big old panes of glass, and we don't have enough money to open all the time and have a permenant presence in the building so we made a decision that boarding them would help reduce our security costs and therefore ticket prices. Hopefully this will be able to change though. For HRH visit, the organisers requested we take them off for the morning.

Re. advertising events, we usually do this through our website, and other online presences. We also create hard copies and flyer locally sometimes but with really tight budgets we don't print new flyers for all events. Going forwards, all events should be in the South London Press. But actually I think word of mouth often works best and on Saturday night I was on the door for much of it, asking people coming past if they would like to come in, saying they can look round for free and then give us some money if they want to stay. Its by no means a comprehensive marketing strategy but I'm working on it. If there are places for advertising events that you think I should be focusing on, please do share your thoughts.

Thanks.

Just your friends then?

No, we were setting up for a free exhibition that weekend anyway so people were invited if they were involved in that or current Brick Box projects. So we had several volunteers, artists, and partnership organisations like RoadWorks Media and 198 Gallery.

Incidentally, many of these people I do consider to be my friends now - I have much respect and time for so many Brick Box collaborators - but that wasn't why they were invited.

Its by no means a comprehensive marketing strategy but I'm working on it. If there are places for advertising events that you think I should be focusing on, please do share your thoughts.
Why not just put up a poster in the window? It wouldn't cost anything. Or you could put posters in the foyers of the Barrier Block opposite.

As it is, people might - not unreasonably - assume that by putting on expensive, barely -advertised events behind blackened out windows you're only really interested in attracting your 'in the know' friends rather than the actual community around you.

That would be fine for a private club of course, but seeing as the Brick Box's stated ethos is all about making the venue "freely accessible to a diverse audience, many of whom would traditionally self-exclude from arts experiences," it does seem an odd way to be going about things.

Back
Top Bottom