Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Angel pub on Coldharbour Lane becomes arty community space run by Brick Box

Yeh she seems ok to me. she's answered my question re the lottery/prince charles' visit anyway.... just a shit beeb piece, as per usual..

not sure an aggresive response to her appearance on this site is quite the right way to get answers btw (not lookin at anyone)

We are all pussycats on Urban.:D

I imagine he was just bringing them up, you know, for an airing.

So what are you going to do to correct the BBC's reporting about the grant?

I think you can get pieces corrected if they are on the website but not on the news. Unless you are writing the press release or get to sign something off before it goes live you can usually find something that isn't quite correct or open to misinterpretation. (i have a few examples from the windmill mural project)

Rosie: how much funding/grants has Brick Box picked up in total over the years? It might be useful to know what kind of grants you've got so others may try and apply for them.

Brickbox appear to be spending a lot of money on security - security guards and blocking up the windows. Which actually suggests they might be slightly scared of the local community, rather than wanting to engage with it.

Brickbox appear to be spending a lot of money on security - security guards and blocking up the windows. Which actually suggests they might be slightly scared of the local community, rather than wanting to engage with it.

might also be terms of a license, the security not the windows?

Does your flat open on to Coldharbour Lane directly?

I used to live next door to the Angel. Can't say I'd recommend having massive open windows in that spot. Even a shitty flat door attracted a good kicking now and then.

Re. the windows, they are boarded at the moment just to make the place doubly secure. They are big old panes of glass, and we don't have enough money to open all the time and have a permenant presence in the building so we made a decision that boarding them would help reduce our security costs and therefore ticket prices. Hopefully this will be able to change though.

Does your flat open on to Coldharbour Lane directly?

I used to live next door to the Angel. Can't say I'd recommend having massive open windows in that spot. Even a shitty flat door attracted a good kicking now and then.
But to be honest, I think the leaving boards up, especially on old windows is fair enough, it was more that teuchter was making a bit of a daft comparison.

But to be honest, I think the leaving boards up, especially on old windows is fair enough, it was more that teuchter was making a bit of a daft comparison.

So, you don't think it's cos they're scared of the locals as Brixton Hatter suggested? :D

I think they're worried the windows might get smashed, which does sometimes happen with properties that aren't being used much.

As for security on the door, that might be a condition of operation, but to be honest I don't think they need bouncers on the door, any more than the Albert does (although I've been on the door at the Albert for NYE as well as on the door of the Fridge for a club night once).

I know they wrote that guff about street drinkers but there are certain kinds of people one would wish to discourage from coming in.

Here's a thought: if they have to keep the windows blacked up when there's no one in there (which has been, from my experience, all the time except when Prince Charles visits) why don't they open up the space to artists in the local community and let them use it during the day?

Surely that's got to be better than having the space lying empty and blacked out the whole time? After all, their (now edited) website says, "We aim to give more than we take, share more than we keep and be open more than we are closed."

It's much easier to insure a place that isn't empty most of the time. I had a helluva job getting house insurance for my M-I-Ls place after she died.

Here's a thought: if they have to keep the windows blacked up when there's no one in there (which has been, from my experience, all the time except when Prince Charles visits) why don't they open up the space to artists in the local community and let them use it during the day?

Surely that's got to be better than having the space lying empty and blacked out the whole time? After all, their (now edited) website says, "We aim to give more than we take, share more than we keep and be open more than we are closed."

If there's currently an exhibition on (wasn't that the gist of blackboxers earlier comments) which meant that there was art on the walls? If so that would have to be taken down daily, stored and then rehung for exhibition times.

198 Gallery has its door locked during the day for security reasons too.

Maybe you're not very familiar with the functional requirements of an artist studio space, which would tend to be not having to pack up and shift all your stuff in and out every few days. But they are offering the space, aren't they? I'm sure they would be open to sensible suggestions for daytime uses. They explicitly ask for people to get in touch,

Back
Top Bottom