Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Angel pub on Coldharbour Lane becomes arty community space run by Brick Box

ok looks like Shunt has two bits one a Charity the other a LTD company registered in Companies house.

It'll be the same thing I would think - most charities are private companies ltd by guarantee, it's a legal status specifically used for non-profits. Not a ltd company in the way that a profit making company would be.

Exactly. Oxfam shops are the trading arm of the oxfam charity for example.

That's slightly different. I'm not talking about trading arms (that tends to be the bigger charities). For an organisation like the one discussed here there aren't two different sides - the main body of the charity will be both a charity and the company ltd by guarantee. It's the legal structure in place to ensure the trustees aren't liable for any debts the charity runs up. I don't know how standard it is but I used to work for a charity that worked with other charities and they were all based on that structure.

Sorry you're right and I'm wrong. The Co. Ltd by guarantee has a set of Mem & Arts and the charity has a constitution with the same objects. It's been a long day.

Many different types of people live in social housing. Some of them might want to dress up in Edwardian clothes. Have you read the book Estates? The author talks about dealing with the presumptions that other people make about people in council estates because they came from social housing. Lets not be like that here.
Do we know that people would be spending their rent money on going to an event like that?
And the get real pic: what's that about? Is it meant to be the poor? I take it that it is not the poor in this country which becomes a difference subject altogether.
Hyperbole of course. And an East Anglian low church upbringing followed by Methodist boarding school. You cannot imagine how uppity that makes one!
The pic if form an Italian film, the translated tilte of which is "Goodby Uncle Tom" I saw it at NFT some years ago in "Black History Month" The film is from the MONDO series and has a kind of Monty Python feel to it. Nearly caused a riot - as I am sure you may appreciate.
I was empathising with the alcoholic customers of William Hill who are so lumpen that they have nothing better to do than what they actually do do.
Meanwhile the trollops and hurray Henrys dressed as Edwardians in their gated "community pub" are stepping over them in order to get into their frolicsome bash. It's all in the film I assure you. Shall we ask them to do a screening of THAT - to their faces - and see if they fell moved in any way?

I just came from the Beehive where a couple of young women had golden angel wings on. Maybe pre-loading for tonight's Angel extravaganza?
As I walked past there were 4 security guards on the door - a very tall butch-looking woman in flak jacket type dress. And three short stocky males similarly attired. All white. Looked for all the world like a pole-dancing club on the Reeperbahn.

Do we really want this next to us? I certainly don't. In fact it really pisses me off.

According to Companies House Shunt Events Ltd (registration number 03731826) is a private company limited by guarantee which is still active. Which is the organisation the link said the two who set up BB were in.
I would guess that there may be charity and private company running alongside each other. With the Events section doing commercial work like the nightclub?
Bet they haven't filed their accounts yet! Gordon "relaxed" this requirement - you only have to do it every 2 years now for small companies - and not at all for the first 2.

It'll be the same thing I would think - most charities are private companies ltd by guarantee, it's a legal status specifically used for non-profits. Not a ltd company in the way that a profit making company would be.
Many charities are limited companies. You have to pay companies house for the accounts - but the chaity commission publish the accounts for free.

Hyperbole of course. And an East Anglian low church upbringing followed by Methodist boarding school. You cannot imagine how uppity that makes one!
The pic if form an Italian film, the translated tilte of which is "Goodby Uncle Tom" I saw it at NFT some years ago in "Black History Month" The film is from the MONDO series and has a kind of Monty Python feel to it. Nearly caused a riot - as I am sure you may appreciate.
I was empathising with the alcoholic customers of William Hill who are so lumpen that they have nothing better to do than what they actually do do.
Meanwhile the trollops and hurray Henrys dressed as Edwardians in their gated "community pub" are stepping over them in order to get into their frolicsome bash. It's all in the film I assure you. Shall we ask them to do a screening of THAT - to their faces - and see if they fell moved in any way?

I just came from the Beehive where a couple of young women had golden angel wings on. Maybe pre-loading for tonight's Angel extravaganza?
As I walked past there were 4 security guards on the door - a very tall butch-looking woman in flak jacket type dress. And three short stocky males similarly attired. All white. Looked for all the world like a pole-dancing club on the Reeperbahn.

Do we really want this next to us? I certainly don't. In fact it really pisses me off.

Would you rather things like this just didn't exist at all? Or is it only because it's in your back yard that it pisses you off?

FAOD:
As I walked past the back entrance to the Angel there were 4 security guards on the door (obstructing the pavement in fact) - a very tall butch-looking woman in flak jacket type dress. And three short stocky males similarly attired. All white. Looked for all the world like a pole-dancing club on the Reeperbahn.

Would you rather things like this just didn't exist at all? Or is it only because it's in your back yard that it pisses you off?
I would rather they did not exist at all. And if they did exist that they were in a mutually beneficial relationship with the Bullingdon Club at Oxford University.
In fact I think what Brixton needs is something more like the Temperance Billiard Hall (now the London Hotel for homeless people).
And yes I have had one pint of Ruddles at the Beehive for £1.85
And I was thinking - God I must emigrate. This country is finished.
People don't respect anything or anybody anymore.
If I sold my house and bought one in Kumasi I could live on an income of £35,000 p.a. like a king - nay a God.
Here I am viewed as an inconvenient ex-Councillor and my GP wants me on drugs (lithium).
And I have an income of £4,000 p.a.
Not much of a choice is it?
The only thing holding me back is my annual Proms season ticket!

We could hear noises coming from behind the blacked-out windows of the exclusive event taking place tonight, so we thought we'd pop in to see what was going on. Security guard wouldn't let us in to have a look because it was a private affair. Not for the likes of us.

This bit of paper stuck to the door was the only thing advertising the event.

del.jpg

Reactions: CH1
Bet they haven't filed their accounts yet! Gordon "relaxed" this requirement - you only have to do it every 2 years now for small companies - and not at all for the first 2.

Are you sure that's true? I file mine each year and I am a small company

If I sold my house and bought one in Kumasi I could live on an income of £35,000 p.a. like a king
For any doubters: 4 bedroom 4 bathroom house (own well)

$159,000 - that's about £100,000 (or would be if Barclays weren't bringing the UK to its knees)

OR how about this one for $135,000 with built-in solar cells (eat yr heart out "Brixton Green")

Of course if too far from the centre of town a non-driver such as myself would have to get an old banger and employer a driver. But HE could double-up as a butler: cooking breakfast, doing the ironing, that sort of thing. It's a whole new world out there!

We could hear noises coming from behind the blacked-out windows of the exclusive event taking place tonight, so we thought we'd pop in to see what was going on. Security guard wouldn't let us in to have a look because it was a private affair. Not for the likes of us.

This bit of paper stuck to the door was the only thing advertising the event.

View attachment 20661

That piece of paper has been there since last week tbf, so not necessarily just to do with last night's event.

The pic if form an Italian film, the translated tilte of which is "Goodby Uncle Tom" I saw it at NFT some years ago in "Black History Month" The film is from the MONDO series and has a kind of Monty Python feel to it.

You mentioned this film before and I was completely baffled because I thought it was the film adaptation of this book with John Thaw as the eponymous hero.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodnight_Mister_Tom
:oops:

Did YOU go in? If so please give us the first review. As pants the hart for cooling streams - thus I pant with bated breath!
No I didn't go, it really isn't my sort of thing, whether it was free, £4 or £40.

A couple of pints in the Elm Park Tavern was the limit of my Friday ambitions.

So did anyone go last night and "get warmed up with canapés off a peachy bottomed lady"?

socad.jpg

Back
Top Bottom