Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Angel pub on Coldharbour Lane becomes arty community space run by Brick Box

FAOD:
I just came from the Beehive where a couple of young women had golden angel wings on. Maybe pre-loading for tonight's Angel extravaganza?
As I walked past the back entrance to the Angel there were 4 security guards on the door (obstructing the pavement in fact) - a very tall butch-looking woman in flak jacket type dress. And three short stocky males similarly attired. All white. Looked for all the world like a pole-dancing club on the Reeperbahn.

Do we really want this next to us? I certainly don't. In fact it really pisses me off.

You should have got a picture

Bet they haven't filed their accounts yet! Gordon "relaxed" this requirement - you only have to do it every 2 years now for small companies - and not at all for the first 2.

Well I am getting totally confused with all this. From what Snowy_again says you can be a Charity and a Ltd company at the same time. Using one or the other depending on the circumstances. Call me simple minded but I thought a charity and a Ltd company were separate for good reason.

And as far as Im concerned CIC just muddy the waters even more.

"The Hatch is recruiting a group of young business-minded volunteers to run a profitable internet café within Tooting Market in return for advice and ongoing guidance from successful local business professionals so they can develop their own entrepreneurial ideas.
The young Londoners taking part will also be able to bid for small pots of cash (up to £500) judged and awarded by The Hatch business gurus to help get their projects off the ground. In addition, the Hatch recruits will use the internet café as a place to work with a local asylum group and other Tooting residents who are not currently comfortable using the internet."
And other than the slightly sub SirLordAlanSugar approach of this press release, what bits do you object to?

All of it. Its not sub Alan Sugar it is 100% Alan Sugar.

Ive said before on this thread that there is myth that entrepreuneurs will get us out of the recession. Total economic bollox.

I see as a sideline they will help the odd asylum seeker use the internet. More bollox. Im at moment sitting in my friendly Eritrean intenet cafe. As my computer has decided to not work.:mad: Asylum seekers are not stupid they know how to do emails. What they need is the immigration people off there backs. Not some wanky charity.

As this thread continues im increasingly thinking the charity sector is about learning how to get grants to give oneself a job. Quite an art. Very entrepreuneurial.

I gave a lot of thought last night/this morning (sitting in bed, in too much pain to sleep) to who would be attracted to "rude food", and concluded it's most probably ex-public schoolboys, and the occasional wingnut who thinks using a person as a platter is "decadent".

I was thinking of eating off the naked body of Cheryl Cole this morning . Have me and Rihanna down to BB like a shot.:D

Hyperbole of course. And an East Anglian low church upbringing followed by Methodist boarding school. You cannot imagine how uppity that makes one!
The pic if form an Italian film, the translated tilte of which is "Goodby Uncle Tom" I saw it at NFT some years ago in "Black History Month" The film is from the MONDO series and has a kind of Monty Python feel to it. Nearly caused a riot - as I am sure you may appreciate.
quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodbye_Uncle_Tom

film shown here:

Italian Mondo films were interesting as they were B movies with a lot off gratuitous sex and violence. But also reflected the left wing spirit of times.

Bit much for many foreign censors.

I did not know this one. Mondo films are real dated oddity know.

Reactions: CH1
Well I am getting totally confused with all this. From what Snowy_again says you can be a Charity and a Ltd company at the same time. Using one or the other depending on the circumstances. Call me simple minded but I thought a charity and a Ltd company were separate for good reason.

Yes - like I say it's not only 'can be' but generally are as far as I know. All 'limited' means is that the owners (or trustees in the case of a charity) are kept separate from the debts. A for profit company (what most people think of as a limited company) will be 'limited by share' but a charity will be 'limited by guarantee' which is a different legal status. It's not really about using one or the other at different times, they're both all the time.

Basically Brickbox or whatever they're called won't have two different parts which was there the very exciting business of organisational legal structures came in iirc.

CIC's I don't know too much about though.

As this thread continues im increasingly thinking the charity sector is about learning how to get grants to give oneself a job. Quite an art. Very entrepreuneurial.

This is definitely true (and part of the long list of reasons why I don't work in the charity sector any more). Where I worked we had someone working full time on grant applications (a senior member of staff as well). It's going to be very hard for any locally based charity to compete against that.

It's going to be very hard for any locally based charity to compete against that.
To be honest I think the people who sift through applications get bored of the bread and butter stuff that local voluntary organisations want and need so when some ingénue in a corset pops up and says breathily "Let them eat cake....off my derrière...for forty quid" it grabs their attention

Reactions: CH1
To be honest I think the people who sift through applications get bored of the bread and butter stuff that local voluntary organisations want and need so when some ingénue in a corset pops up and says breathily "Let them eat cake....off my derrière...for forty quid" it grabs their attention

lots of posts to reply to, and they merit a response sent from a computer & not a phone.

In response to your question about normal grants for everday work; they made up about 75% of my grant making experience, and are recognised as the heart of the sector. It used to be said that if a project was set up and proved to be effective then the LOcal Authority would pick it up and commision it. That won't happen so much nowadays.

But with inevitably limited money grant makers are often in a quandry; do you spend all the money meeting existing needs and not necessarily resolving the root cause or do you spend it on 'innovative' projects which try new ways of working.

As for the charity / third / voluntary sector /civil society it's difficult to make sweeping generalsations about self job creation. There are 160000+ registered charities in England and Wales. Plus tens of thousands more Co Ltd by Guarantee who aren't rgistered charities but who work solely for charitable purposes, plus many otherconstituted and non constituted groups.

Only a small % of charities are large national organisations, although lately they are getting bigger and larger the more they deliver services on behalf of the state in the third sector.

Most charities are small locally managed and run. They meet 'neds' that aren't even recognsed yet by the state, they' can be much more in touch with how to serve people effectively. They are however slow to be legally set up and occasionally burdensome due to regulation. Nu Labour and the coalition have been chopping away at the charity commsion for years, and they have made themselves unpopular with the Esatablishment their attempts to make charities like Eton act more charitably.

Lastly CICs aren't really that new, but are more a reinvention of a Victorian model. I fully agree that it's a flawed idea that they are the answer; they add more competition to the already limited funds. But if you want to 'spin off'' bits if state provision they encourage people to do it. Think libaries run by volunteers, the isle of Wight volunteer run bus service.

I don't agree with it unless it allows user led organisations to be resourced to take on service delivery (No decision about me without me etc.).

By the way I was in Peckham last night and it was HIPSTERGEDDON due to the opening of the bar on the carpark and loads more people showed up than could fit in so all the "proper community pubs" nearby were full of people with haircuts enjoying the decor in an ironic way. The bar staff didn't know what had hit them. Editor would have blown a gasket.

By the way I was in Peckham last night and it was HIPSTERGEDDON due to the opening of the bar on the carpark and loads more people showed up than could fit in so all the "proper community pubs" nearby were full of people with haircuts enjoying the decor in an ironic way. The bar staff didn't know what had hit them. Editor would have blown a gasket.
As usual, you miss the point by a country mile.

The Peckham Bold Tendencies project is FREE to all, and the cafe offers affordable prices (e.g. Grilled Turkish Peppers, Home Made Yogurt, Nigella Seeds... £4.50).

And if local 'proper community pubs' enjoyed a surge in custom as a result, then that's great news.

As usual, you miss the point by a country mile.

The Peckham Bold Tendencies project is FREE to all, and the cafe offers affordable prices. And if 'proper community pubs' enjoy a surge in custom as a result, then that's great news.

I think Teuchter was saying it was full of hipsters and you wouldn't like it. :)

I think Teuchter was saying it was full of hipsters and you wouldn't like it. :)
I'd rather he didn't try and tell me what I think about anything because he clearly hasn't a fucking clue. I'll be surprised if he even knows what a hipster looks like.

I'd rather he didn't try and tell me what I think about anything because he clearly hasn't a fucking clue. I'll be surprised if he even knows what a hipster looks like.
What does a Hipster look like, o wise one?

Normally charities are companies Limited by Guarantee. All members are shareholders and liable to pay 25p in the event of bankruptcy.
Charities, whilst being Limited by Guarantee do not normally put "Ltd" in their title.

I think there is some Gilbert and Sullivan on at the Proms this year - shall I check?

lots of posts to reply to, and they merit a response sent from a computer & not a phone.

As for the charity / third / voluntary sector /civil society it's difficult to make sweeping generalsations about self job creation. There are 160000+ registered charities in England and Wales. Plus tens of thousands more Co Ltd by Guarantee who aren't rgistered charities but who work solely for charitable purposes, plus many otherconstituted and non constituted groups.

Only a small % of charities are large national organisations, although lately they are getting bigger and larger the more they deliver services on behalf of the state in the third sector.

Thanks for your ( and Monkeygrinders Organ) informative posts.

I do have a friend who manages small charity for refugees. He does everything from applications to general mge. The only full time worker. A lot of people in the charity/ voluntary sector do a lot of good work that the Council/ State cannot or do not want to do.

So I know from him there is a tension in looking after the needs of those one was set up to help and the pressures from the State. Especially in case of refugees/ asylum seekers.

It has been increasingly difficult for charities to retain there independence and stick up for people when the last and this government are pressuring the sector to run services for the Government.

Also some of the way that local government - The Mayor funds some of the projects that have been mentioned here- sets up funding is imo highly ideological. Funding to encourage "entrepreneurial" values is a case in point.

Also Aristocrats like Charlie setting up there own charitable exercises is all very well but its in reality old school top down Victorian philanthropy. Its hit or miss. Some of the stuff Princes Trust may be useful but its all down to him like some Russian Oligarch donating to good causes.Business in the Community is a case in point. Given a trendy veneer by Brick Box.

Back
Top Bottom