Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Angel pub on Coldharbour Lane becomes arty community space run by Brick Box

This thread is like 'dirty looks across a room at school'. Both parties should try engage each other and communicate and see where it goes instead of this shit.
That's a bit difficult when one side fraudulently uses the Heir to the Throne to tell the world (except Coldharbour Lane) how NEECE they are - and in need of MONEY!! GRANTS!!!
All the time not even speaking (engaging perhaps - in "grant-speak") with anybody from "the local community" - which by the way also includes black people, alcoholics standing outside shops, black people standing outside shops ("hanging out") and bankrupt claimants standing outside William Hills ("hanging out").
What has this marvellous project got to offer THEM.
Notwithstanding that they want a grant just to be NEECE ignoring us in Coldharbour Lane!
I think you should consider your position - and wash your finger.

Do the people in social housing not spend this kind of money?
The pub had closed. You are saying that people in social housing only like a certain type of thing? The meal wasn't for toffs. it was for those who choose to spend £40 on a meal. i'm sure there are men and women who live in social housing who spend that kind of money down the pub or in a bar at the weekend. Do we have to exclude certain things from the area because we (that is the outspoken of urban75) think it's not appropriate? What if it was a West Indian Supper club at £40 - would it be equally as wrong?
Boohoo - sorry to take issue - but do people in Social Housing want to dress up as Edwardian floozies and take the piss out of the poor? For £40? Your world seems to have more to do with Jarndice and Jarndice than Coldharbour Lane!
I may be old fashioned but if I was a Metropolitan housing officer I wouldn't be that sympathetic if someone in my social housing needed to spend their rent money on fripperies such as this. Meanwhile spitting on the poor (who probably do actually pay their rent).
Get real:Slaves.jpg

That's a bit difficult when one side fraudulently uses the Heir to the Throne to tell the world (except Coldharbour Lane) how NEECE they are - and in need of MONEY!! GRANTS!!!
All the time not even speaking (engaging perhaps - in "grant-speak") with anybody from "the local community" - which by the way also includes black people, alcoholics standing outside shops, black people standing outside shops ("hanging out") and bankrupt claimants standing outside William Hills ("hanging out").
What has this marvellous project got to offer THEM.
Notwithstanding that they want a grant just to be NEECE ignoring us in Coldharbour Lane!
I think you should consider your position - and wash your finger.
Fraudulently? Some of the hyperbole in here.....

Kanda said:
This thread is like 'dirty looks across a room at school'. Both parties should try engage each other and communicate and see where it goes instead of this shit.

See you in the playground at lunchtime you grass :mad:

Boohoo - sorry to take issue - but do people in Social Housing want to dress up as Edwardian floozies and take the piss out of the poor? For £40? Your world seems to have more to do with Jarndice and Jarndice than Coldharbour Lane!
I may be old fashioned but if I was a Metropolitan housing officer I wouldn't be that sympathetic if someone in my social housing needed to spend their rent money on fripperies such as this. Meanwhile spitting on the poor (who probably do actually pay their rent).
Get real:View attachment 20629

Many different types of people live in social housing. Some of them might want to dress up in Edwardian clothes. Have you read the book Estates? The author talks about dealing with the presumptions that other people make about people in council estates because they came from social housing. Lets not be like that here.

Do we know that people would be spending their rent money on going to an event like that?

And the get real pic: what's that about? Is it meant to be the poor? I take it that it is not the poor in this country which becomes a difference subject altogether.

Get real:View attachment 20629
Surely a troll :D

Brickbox reminds me very much of the organisation that ran the 'pop-up' club Shunt in London.
Here's an ecstatic review I found on the Internet:
http://www.urban75.org/2009/04/shunt-club-london-bridge-absolutely.html
Did they claim to be a community group that likes to hang out where the 'street drinkers are and when the bins are kept'?
Did they take over a traditional West Indian pub and start putting on exclusive £40 toff dinners?
Did their premises face social housing?

No? Oh, I'll have to look elsewhere for your 'point', then.

:rolleyes:
Not only are they similar to Shunt. They are run by the same people.

Why is this place receiving lottery funding if they're charging £40 for a ticket to things like this? Surely that's self-funding...?

Why is this place receiving lottery funding if they're charging £40 for a ticket to things like this? Surely that's self-funding...?

the ticketsare really 140 quid a pop but they've decided to subsidise the lower middle classes...

Sage question..

Who would be the correct person/organisation to ask this question of? There's plenty of other initatives i can think of in brixton who could use a cash injection from the lottery.. maybe they're not aware that this is the kind of thing they're funding?

they'll only say that "this is a small part of what we do, we also have playgroups, community art and street people bonding sessions on a tuesday at noon" blahblah

were there any events at shunt that were £40?

Events at shunt were usually about £15-20 if I remember correctly. That didn't include dinner or drinks though.

If you went to shunt, had a few drinks there and bought a kebab on the way home, it wouldn't be very difficult to spend £40.

i think he means regarding lottery funding being misused.

are you an artist or wanna be 'artist SLASH curator' teuchter?

This is a bit like a snakes wedding isn't it?

The lottery money went to BITC not Brick Box. BITC will work to support organisations, like Brick Box. I've already posted the link to the BITC programme and to the specific Lambeth BITC representative. If you can think of deserving organisations perhaps you can direct them to him instead?

Back
Top Bottom