Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Angel pub on Coldharbour Lane becomes arty community space run by Brick Box

NPR has a vintage tat shop at the end of it now, doesn't it? Clearly not untainted by gentrification. And the block of yuppie flats where they have parties and keep AJ awake. And the telegraph shut down amidst complaints about noise from the residents. And a Sainsbury. And Kanda drinks there.

NPR has a vintage tat shop at the end of it now, doesn't it? Clearly not untainted by gentrification. And the block of yuppie flats where they have parties and keep AJ awake. And the telegraph shut down amidst complaints about noise from the residents. And a Sainsbury. And Kanda drinks there.

The penthouse flat there is a shit tip owned by a 'group' of people, pretty bad state of disrepair, they're hardly yuppies in that block. But yeah, they did get the Telegraph shut down, wankers.

Vintage tat shop?? It's just a shitty cafe.

I'm moving away so I don't count :)

In my world, if you move into a new shiny 'lifestyle' block right next to a well established lively pub and then start complaining about the noise, the pub should automatically get an additional hour added to their late license.

Completely agree :) It's hardly a lifestyle block though, it's converted offices isn't it? The flats aren't very nice inside...

Completely agree :) It's hardly a lifestyle block though, it's converted offices isn't it? The flats aren't very nice inside...
I was talking in more general terms, although that's what happened at the Duke of Edinburgh and I fear will happen on Coldharbour Lane too when Clifton Mansions gets lifestyled up.

If I was opening a community arts venture in a neighbourhood, I'd maybe start by inviting the local community in for an open day and tell them all about what we're up to, rather than launching with an exclusive supper club bash.

Seems more appropriate to me.

But each to their own.

Depends what you (i.e. they) mean by "local community", really. Somehow I think their definition isn't quite in step with yours.

There's the Hero of Switzerland, but the last time I went in there it was pretty glum, which is a pity as the previous landlord and landlady were great. I've been acquainted with the present landlord for about 30 years and he's never been cheery. I can't actually ever recall him smiling. Not saying a smile has never played around his lips, just that in 30 years, I've not witnessed it.

Perhaps he's got permanent bi-hemispheric Bell's Palsy?
You never know!

I don't disagree that pubs are important to the community, but they are run for private profit, unlike libraries. And I don't think they should be a priority, when funding for essential services is at risk.

What are "essential services", though? Where my parents live in rural Norfolk, their local "community centre", the village pub, has been taken away from them 3 times (minimum) in two years because the pubco that owns the freehold is more interested in bilking new lessees than it is in serving any local community. For the (mostly middle-aged or older) residents of that village the pub was/is an "essential service". It's the place where the local community meetings took place, in whose back field the local 5-a-side team trained. This is a village that doesn't get much for it's Council Tax in terms of stuff like mains sewerage (none) or local amenities (few and far-between).
The "esssential services" argument always gets used, but very rarely gets quantified.

Pubs aren't exactly the holy grail of inclusion. If you're Muslim, or if you're an older woman who was brought up believing that pubs were for men and women of low morals, or if you can't afford a pint - no matter how long you nurse it.

I was serious about pop- in parlours, btw. A very cheap social place for all older people - plus access to routes for support if needed. And not-for-profit.

Greebo's late nan used to volunteer at a pop-in centre, and she was quite clear that there were a minority of older folk who wouldn't use it because of the impression (that they were "old" and/or "lonely") it gave.
That said, personally I reckon they actually stayed away because they'd heard stories about her apple pies, and how they could be used as discuses.

i_love_this_thread.jpg

<snip>I reckon they actually stayed away because they'd heard stories about her apple pies, and how they could be used as discuses.
Incidentally, it's more or less true about the pies. More an excuse to have custard than anything. The same as her meat pies were more an excuse to have plenty of gravy.

Back
Top Bottom