Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Angel, Coldharbour Lane Brixton: Brick Box applies for 7 day, 8am-5am alcohol/music/dance licence

It's a factual way of putting it. You did not get the full experience for £5 no matter how you bizarrely try to twist and spin the facts. If you paid a fiver you missed out on the dinner which was clearly a major part of the night.

I'm not twisting or spinning facts. Your dislike for this project is clear, I'll leave you to it, can't be arsed to argue with you...

It's a factual way of putting it. You did not get the full experience for £5 no matter how you bizarrely try to twist and spin the facts. If you paid a fiver you missed out on the dinner which was clearly a major part of the night.

Was the meal an integral part of the entertainment? Were the performers in and around the tables and the £5ers were excluded until after dinner? You have a point if so, if not you don't

If you pay £15 can you have a bit of the food?

Scraps from the table?

Yes, yes. That would certainly fit in with the Dickensian theme

oliver-twist.jpeg

I have bought 'lounge pants' from the sale section in ASDA on Old Kent Road before now.

Those Supper Club photos are horrific. It's like seeing pics of people from another planet.

The event looks a bit wank to me too. And I would guess that those attending aren't exactly my type either.

But do you know what? I didn't move to London to be surrounded by people 'like me'. One of the things I love about London (and Brixton in particular) is its plurality: the many tribes of London living together cheek by jowl. The place I grew up was the opposite - anyone a bit different stuck out like a sore thumb; good luck coping with it if you were in the slightlest bit alternative (I wasn't). I love it that in London the ageing punk who works at Oxford Circus tube (to give one example) can have a red mohican and NO ONE CARES.

IMO one of the key challenges facing humanity is for us all to conquer the fear/hatred of the 'other', whether they be the black teenager with his hood up, the homeless women begging on the street, the dull as dishwater provincial or - yes - the posh kid from a well-off background who has it easy. Take the time to look beyond the first appearance. Seek out the person beneath. And *then* hate them (if they really are a nobber).

(Here endeth the lesson)

The event looks a bit wank to me too. And I would guess that those attending aren't exactly my type either.

But do you know what? I didn't move to London to be surrounded by people 'like me'. One of the things I love about London (and Brixton in particular) is its plurality: the many tribes of London living together cheek by jowl. The place I grew up was the opposite - anyone a bit different stuck out like a sore thumb; good luck coping with it if you were in the slightlest bit alternative (I wasn't). I love it that in London the ageing punk who works at Oxford Circus tube (to give one example) can have a red mohican and NO ONE CARES.

IMO one of the key challenges facing humanity is for us all to conquer the fear/hatred of the 'other', whether they be the black teenager with his hood up, the homeless women begging on the street, the dull as dishwater provincial or - yes - the posh kid from a well-off background who has it easy. Take the time to look beyond the first appearance. Seek out the person beneath. And *then* hate them (if they really are a nobber).

(Here endeth the lesson)

You forgot to mention that a building in use is better than one boarded up, and previously licenced premises are better continuing as licenced premises, than being made into say, expensive flats.

But, yeah.

As I said on the other thread, I quite enjoy the whole faux-Victorian thing sometimes (even if it's getting pretty tired by now) but to try to pretend that an evening like that has anything to do with local Brixton society is bollocks. It's a subcultural transplant.

In fact you probably _could_ do some sort of pseudo-historical night that had some connection to Brixton rather than just being generically steampunkoid, but I see no indication that this was tried.

A Lily Langtry theme night might be apt, considering her Brixton coach-house/stables. :)

You forgot to mention that a building in use is better than one boarded up, and previously licenced premises are better continuing as licenced premises, than being made into say, expensive flats.
They are being made into expensive flats, or rather, "Four mews houses, four high-specification apartments and one commercial space." It is extremely unlikely it'll ever come back as a proper pub, and as far as I can see the licensing is only for Brick Box's arty-farty commercial events - and they only have the space for six months anyway because the building has already been sold.

http://www.lexadon.co.uk/projects/354-coldharbour-lane

Back
Top Bottom