Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

And next, Syria?

Why would you have thought that? What would you be basing it on?

It's a question about relevance - why you decided to bring this up and what you understand about what you decided to bring up.

Has it - even when it produced them in Chechnya?

None of that odd reply from you to to elbows seemed to have anything to do with the link he provided.

There are a number of sources that place jihadis from the Russian federation at the centre of Islamist rebels and in numbers that dwarf other nations.

To spell it out - this is relevant because (i) the jihadis are technically Russian and (ii) the Russian Federation has just started bombing them.

So to say that it is a joke and propagandistic to state that the entrance of the Russian Air Force into the civil war might, just possibly, produce more Russian jihadis is not really that controversial from my point of view...

There are a number of sources that place jihadis from the Russian federation at the centre of Islamist rebels and in numbers that dwarf other nations.

To spell it out - this is relevant because (i) the jihadis are technically Russian and (ii) the Russian Federation has just started bombing them.

So to say that it is a joke and propagandistic to state that the entrance of the Russian Air Force into the civil war might, just possibly, produce more Russian jihadis is not really that controversial from my point of view...
So we learn that some chechens are in syria. Thanks for the info.

Who said such a thing? Can you point to someone saying it?

None of this has anything to do with the link that elbows posted.

So we learn that some chechens are in syria. Thanks for the info.

Who said such a thing? Can you point to someone saying it?

None of this has anything to do with the link that elbows posted.

It's not that difficult

Russians have fought jihadis for longer than the West. They are a traditional enemy. Because of the nature of those conflicts many of those who chose jihad were Russian.

Russia has just entered into the major jihadi space in the world.

That might, just might, not be a very good idea.

It's not that difficult

Russians have fought jihadis for longer than the West. They are a traditional enemy. Because of the nature of those conflicts many of those who chose jihad were Russian.

Russia has just entered into the major jihadi space in the world.

That might, just might, not be a very good idea.
Why not just pronounce this banality rather than tie it to elbows post?

(leaving aside the shocking historical ignorance and bundling into west/tradition/etc)

Diamond can you please just stop commenting on threads to do with anything on Syria please?

A Mediterraenean port.

If Tartus was so important, why wait four years to directly intervene on behalf of your landlord?

Just fuck off, you add nothing to a discussion you obviously know nothing about. Please leave it to others.

The Syrian intervention is really unpopular in Russia.

Not yet. You will remember that for now the Russian Senate only approved air strikes. I'd say the majority of Russians are prepared to wait and see what happens next. If the government was to openly commit ground troops, I would expect the public mood to change pretty rapidly.

According to some recent polls ive seen only about 40% approve of it compared to around 70% for the ukraine intervention.

The syriancivilwar subreddit has been flooded with annoying Putinbots ever since Russia started bombing Syria, I wonder if they will arrive here

The FSA and allied non-islamist groups said the same thing about the original US airstrikes that were supposed to be on ISIS but turned out not to be- that turned out to be doing assad's dirty work for him. I think they were right in their view of what would happen - support for anti-assad islamist forces and the sidelining of revolutionary forces. I think it's been borne out. Read that piece back and recall the 'lobotomised anti-imperialists' views at the time.

Thanks for the timely delve into the not too distant past.

Thats the sort of thing that caused me to make my comment about comedy - we knew from the moment a 'war on terror' was declared that we'd be treated to some absurd logic and awkward moments where positions would suddenly need to be inverted (e.g. regarding freedom righter/rebel as opposed to terrorist labels). The arab spring and Saudi-Iranian relations introduced factors into the mix that have brought this to the surface.

Granted it would be a mistake for me to write off propaganda as now doomed, just because its got such massive holes and logical contradictions and obvious double-standards. Propaganda is after all often flawed in that manner, but the right message can still get the desired results. Double-standards when it comes to Russian acts vs our own is hardly a recent phenomenon, or one that much effort is usually put towards obscuring.

I guess I am suggesting that our response to Russias acts further exposes western duplicity on numerous fronts. No doubt some of the horrific consequences of Russian action will, given a little more time, will take away focus from these other smells, but its an awkward moment right now. I suppose it does provide the west with the opportunity to change its policy on Syria. Russian actions can be used as a face-saving excuse in some ways, though in others it would be quite a loss of face.

Meanwhile, the good all Fox News is going hard with factual reporting:

fMVD6Vs.jpg

Pathetic. So he's not yet been convicted therefore it's all above board. What a load of hypocritical toss you're spouting. If Syria was America's client state and Assad had asked them to bomb you'd be spitting with rage and cheering on jihadists but Russia does it? No problem eh?

You're entitled to cheer on imperialism if you like of course just as long as you know that's exactly what you're doing.

If your aunt had balls shed be your uncle . And you'd stil be talking nonsense regardless

If your aunt had balls shed be your uncle . And you'd stil be talking nonsense regardless

What about my statement was nonsense? You're cheerleading Russian imperialism. All I'm doing is pointing that out to you and the fact you're banging on about international law as if Putin is some sort of holier than thou noble actor. That is exactly what cheerleaders for liberal imperialism do.

It's not just Russia the dumb Americans are pushing against, they push China on a second front and are recruiting Japan as snipers.
From what I see Russia and China behave badly but much more intelligently than America, as they might say themselves, were they to be honest(ha), we are second leaguers.

Back
Top Bottom