Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

The Outfit. New Mark Rylance film.

An English tailor gets involved with Irish mobsters in 1950s Chicago. A twisty turny mystery thriller all filmed inside his tailors shop.

Brilliant.
Really? I was meaning to ramble on about this (and a similarly two-dimensional film) but haven’t got round to it.

I watched it with a friend who is a film costumier and who almost worked on this. We all agreed she had a lucky escape. It’s not bad, but it’s distinctly set bound (we were amazed that it didn’t use to be a stage play) and has some distinctly wooden acting. Which is a shame because it was basically sound, just needed some crisping up at the edges.

Really? I was meaning to ramble on about this (and a similarly two-dimensional film) but haven’t got round to it.

I watched it with a friend who is a film costumier and who almost worked on this. We all agreed she had a lucky escape. It’s not bad, but it’s distinctly set bound (we were amazed that it didn’t use to be a stage play) and has some distinctly wooden acting. Which is a shame because it was basically sound, just needed some crisping up at the edges.

The fact that it’s filmed in the one set is much of the point of it, and it will almost certainly become a stage play. Disagree about the acting, esp MRs. It starts slowly but once the hoods come in, it bounces along and the way they mix in the suit-making is inspired. We’re gonna watch it again at the weekend. Not many films make me put my laptop down.

Last edited:
All of the Bond films are free on Prime if anyone fancies some entertaining tosh. Watched Dr No last night (it was released 60 years ago). Very dated. More interesting for the design/fashion than the plot. Very schlonky acting from Connery/Andrews.

All of the Bond films are free on Prime if anyone fancies some entertaining tosh. Watched Dr No last night (it was released 60 years ago). Very dated. More interesting for the design/fashion than the plot. Very schlonky acting from Connery/Andrews.
Ursula Andress ? She wasn't much of an actress and she got dubbed, but what's wrong with Connery ?

Last edited:
Ursula Andress ? She wasn't much of an actress and she got dubbed, but what's wrong with Connery ?
Yes sorry Andress.

Connery had a slightly too aggressive unnuanced response that he used too often throughout the film. In later films he relaxed a bit I guess and became a bit more urbane.

Anybody seen Everything Everywhere All at Once, which is now on Prime? If you haven’t, do. I can’t recommend it highly enough. It’s a rare attempt in film to use the tropes of sci-fi to really explore philosophical themes — loss, existential angst, unfulfilled dreams, the role of kindness in an unkind universe and, perhaps most of all, the mental chaos of trying to grow up in a multicultural world. Science fiction books address these kind of themes all the time, of course. But films, not so much.

Last edited:
Anybody seen Everything Everywhere All at Once, which is now on Prime? If you haven’t, do. I can’t recommend it highly enough. It’s a rare attempt in film to use the tropes of sci-fi to really explore philosophical themes — loss, existential angst, unfulfilled dreams, the role of kindness in an unkind universe and, perhaps most of all, the mental chaos of trying to grow up in a multicultural world. Science fiction books address these kind of themes all the time, of course. But films, not so much.
LOVED IT. I accidentally had caps lock on, but haven't deleted, because I felt like shouting from the rooftops 'Watch this movie, it's brilliant'. I missed it at the cinema, so was glad to see it on Prime, and while I would love to see it on the big screen at some point, I was so glad of the ability to rewind certain sections and rewatch. There's so much happening in some scenes. All so well done though. As well as all the sci-fi multiverse and existential stuff, I also thought it was something of a love story at its core, not in a cheesy or twee romcom kind of way, but subtle and tender, very underplayed and not in-yer-face.

Started watching Jungle last night. Its a drill musical set in the near future where for some reason they are driving classic cars. It's visualy stunning as well, HDR turned up to max. Slightly reminded me of playing Cyberpunk.

Dog
'Tis enjoyable fluff to put on in the background on a Saturday afternoon. No better and no worse than that.

The Peripheral. A new near-future sci-fi thriller series by the creators of Westworld about a young woman and her brother who agree to test play a new hi tech VR game, with unfortunate consequences.

Really enjoyed the first episode :) Recommended.

The Peripheral. A new near-future sci-fi thriller series by the creators of Westworld about a young woman and her brother who agree to test play a new hi tech VR game, with unfortunate consequences.

I really liked the first 2 episodes, good mixture of tech/nerdiness with action/suspense.

Thanks for the heads up, looks interesting

Based on the book by William Gibson which I read quite a long time ago. Watched the first and second episodes last night. Really enjoyed.

Just finished The Devil’s Hour. Fucking brilliant and highly recommended :)

Feels like a Christopher Nolan production, packing as it does a fair amount of head-scratching time mindfucks. It will likely make you wondering wtf is going on at a couple of places, but ultimately it’s a clever and enjoyable ride. As a bonus, Capaldi is superlative in it.

Did it get better after episode 1, which, to be honest, I found boring? Please tell me it doesn’t all turn out to just be ghosties.

Back
Top Bottom