Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

A mild recommendation rather than a firm endorsement, but despite being flawed I reasonably enjoyed Samaritan. A gritty superhero film starring Sylvester Stallone.

Somewhat hit and miss overall but not bad either. The performance from the kid is great too.

The premiership games that are on prime in October: anyone know if you just need a Prime subscription or whether you need that plus an additional subscription?

Anyone watched the A League Of Their Own series? Been getting great reviews.
Just finished the first episode. Very good indeed, and a strong recommendation based on it :)

ETA: Everyone please note this has nothing to do with James Corden’s stupid panel show!

ETA 2: Like most right-thinking folk I find baseball excruciatingly boring, but don’t let that put you off trying this out. Baseball is just the background premise gelling the story and characters together

Last edited:
Just finished the first episode. Very good indeed, and a strong recommendation based on it :)

ETA: Everyone please note this has nothing to do with James Corden’s stupid panel show!

ETA 2: Like most right-thinking folk I find baseball excruciatingly boring, but don’t let that put you off trying this out. Baseball is just the background premise gelling the story and characters together
It's based on the hugely successful 90s movie.

I don't think I have seen it since it came out, but I seem to remember it being a decent enough film despite being about baseball.
I seem to recall Madonna in it? Tom Hanks? and Gena Davis.

I don't think I have seen it since it came out, but I seem to remember it being a decent enough film despite being about baseball.
I seem to recall Madonna in it? Tom Hanks? and Gena Davis.
Madonna had a relatively small supporting role and for once wasn't terrible, Davis and Hanks were the leads. I'm not a huge fan of the film, apart from Davis and Hanks every character is a stereotype and it's a little too corny for my taste. I could imagine the new TV series being better.

Last edited:
Madonna had a relatively small supporting role and for once wasn't terrible, Davis and Hanks were the leads. I'm not a huge fan of the film, apart from Davis and Hanks every character is a stereotype and it's a little too corny for my taste. I could imagine the new TV series being better.
Ah yes, I seem to remember it being hung more on Madonna for press reasons, (all EPK clips etc) and being surprised she only has a small part when I actually saw it. I saw it once when I was 19, so I am surprised I remember anything about it. I am already imagining GLOW vibes from a TV series.

Breaking my infamous posting go-slow of the streaming threads in the (so far) one-man protest of them all not appearing in 1 thread....

...To give a strong recommendation for The Outfit Watch The Outfit (2022) | Prime Video The Outfit (2022) - IMDb

It's all shot in 1 location, a tailors shop, and deals with the aftermath from a night of gangland crime - despite a lot of key characters having nothing to do with the criminality (and it's all pretty softly handled). Full of clever twists, and moves at a rapid pace, and your attention is suitably rewarded. One of those films whereby when the credits roll, you have a real sense of contentment that your time has been well spent and you've been entertained. :cool:

Predictably, Mark Rylance steals the show (playing... Mark Rylance*) and ensures it's not just a cold plot-twist-guessathon.

*Not actually Mark Rylance ofc, but I'm guessing another role playing the slightly ditzy, and unassuming, but endlessly kind and moral old man didn't require months of method acting (not that I'm complaining tbf) :oops:

Breaking my infamous posting go-slow of the streaming threads in the (so far) one-man protest of them all not appearing in 1 thread....

...To give a strong recommendation for The Outfit Watch The Outfit (2022) | Prime Video The Outfit (2022) - IMDb

It's all shot in 1 location, a tailors shop, and deals with the aftermath from a night of gangland crime - despite a lot of key characters having nothing to do with the criminality (and it's all pretty softly handled). Full of clever twists, and moves at a rapid pace, and your attention is suitably rewarded. One of those films whereby when the credits roll, you have a real sense of contentment that your time has been well spent and you've been entertained. :cool:

Predictably, Mark Rylance steals the show (playing... Mark Rylance*) and ensures it's not just a cold plot-twist-guessathon.

*Not actually Mark Rylance ofc, but I'm guessing another role playing the slightly ditzy, and unassuming, but endlessly kind and moral old man didn't require months of method acting (not that I'm complaining tbf) :oops:
That gets a thumbs up from me too

Gringo: The Dangerous Life of John McAfee is a large slice of wtf, interspersed with bizarre wtf moments.

I followed his story at the time but this 2016 doc gives all/most of the unpleasant details. Holing up in Belize; hiring murderers as security, taking over a small town, keeping a group of suspiciously young looking local women at his beck and call, paying off the entire police force, owning a million guns, organising murders - he was a massive and deeply unlikeable bastard.

(As I was searching for the trailer, I realised there's a Netflix doc called Running with the Devil: The Wild World of John McAfee which probably supersedes this one as it was made in 2022)

Gringo: The Dangerous Life of John McAfee is a large slice of wtf, interspersed with bizarre wtf moments.

I followed his story at the time but this 2016 doc gives all/most of the unpleasant details. Holing up in Belize; hiring murderers as security, taking over a small town, keeping a group of suspiciously young looking local women at his beck and call, paying off the entire police force, owning a million guns, organising murders - he was a massive and deeply unlikeable bastard.

(As I was searching for the trailer, I realised there's a Netflix doc called Running with the Devil: The Wild World of John McAfee which probably supersedes this one as it was made in 2022)

I watched the Netflix one after I saw you mention it.
He's an absolute fruit case!!

Oooh… strong first-episode recommendation for Sprung, a new offbeat crime comedy series that has just become available on one of Amazon Prime’s add-on channels, Freevee- which should be free to all Prime subscribers, as it’s advertisement-funded.

Bunch of low-level non violent misfits doing time in an US get released early and suddenly at the beginning of the pandemic, and find themselves having to share accommodation due to the lockdown. Which invariably leads to things.

Very watchable and promising first episode, and massive reviews by critics and public alike. Do check it out

Nearly finished Sprung, and a firm recommendation for anyone looking for an easy-watch entertaining short comedy series. Broadly similar in tone and feel (not the premise though) to My Name is Earl. Martha Plimpton of The Goonies fame is fucking brilliant in it.

Nearly finished Sprung, and a firm recommendation for anyone looking for an easy-watch entertaining short comedy series. Broadly similar in tone and feel (not the premise though) to My Name is Earl. Martha Plimpton of The Goonies fame is fucking brilliant in it.
Just watched the first episode, quite promising and thanks for the recommendation 😊

I somehow had never heard of Leverage, an action crime comedy drama series that ran for five seasons between 2008-12, apparently to positive reviews from critics and punters alike. That’s not available for free, but its recent reboot series, Leverage: Redemption, is.

Revolves about a team of grifters helping individuals who have been wronged by the rich and powerful. A bit like the A Team but with MacGyver skills. Quite silly at places and requiring a similar degree of suspension of disbelief, but ultimately fairly watchable if you’re in need of fast paced undemanding entertainment. 6/10 if you don’t expect anything glossy.

I'm going to watch the original on that recommendation
You’d have to pay for the original series on Amazon, but it’s available for free on the STV player, which comes as a free app on NowTV, on the Virgin service and presumably on Sky and smart TVs: or you can watch online as well.

Goodnight Mommy - seemed to get some bad reviews due to the usual "remake but not as good as the orginal" moaners. However not having seen the original Austrian version yet I was able to enjoy it on its own merits. It's a kindof mystery/thriller/horror sort of thing, but easily spoilered so just watch it. Great acting and direction.

glad you posted. was after this but couldn't remember the title or who starred in it.

Back
Top Bottom