Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

Couple of decent forrin war movies at the moment:

• El Alamein: La Linea Del Fuoco AKA El Alamein: Bond Of Honour - solid old school type war movie about the Second Battle of El Alamein from an Italian point of view, all the familiar old tropes, even an Abigail Mead-esque score. With Pierfrancesco Favino (familiar from ACAB, Suburra, Romanzo Criminale)
  • Persischstunden AKA Persian Lessons - Jewish man in a concentration camp pretends to be half-Persian (for reasons) to avoid immediate death. With faces familiar from Deutschland 83, Babylon Berlin etc.
Bonus:
  • Talvisota AKA The Winter War - classic Finnish war flick about the bloody cost of resisting Soviet invasion
For Spymaster

Couple of decent forrin war movies at the moment:

• El Alamein: La Linea Del Fuoco AKA El Alamein: Bond Of Honour - solid old school type war movie about the Second Battle of El Alamein from an Italian point of view, all the familiar old tropes, even an Abigail Mead-esque score. With Pierfrancesco Favino (familiar from ACAB, Suburra, Romanzo Criminale)
  • Persischstunden AKA Persian Lessons - Jewish man in a concentration camp pretends to be half-Persian (for reasons) to avoid immediate death. With faces familiar from Deutschland 83, Babylon Berlin etc.
Bonus:
  • Talvisota AKA The Winter War - classic Finnish war flick about the bloody cost of resisting Soviet invasion
For Spymaster

Cheers for these :thumbs:

I enjoyed the Devils Hour right up to the explanation which I thought took a neat idea and made it all too complicated. Still pretty good tho. Thought Jessica Raine was great.
I enjoyed it until the point I realised they would string it out for another series (Google says two!) rather than write a pleasing conclusion.

Reminder: Everything Everywhere All At Once is on Prime (the film that Michelle Yeoh won best actress for at the Golden Globes). Brilliant film, well-worth watching.
not forgetting Ke Huy Quan, who also won best supporting actor - both their acceptance speeches are good value if you want to check them out on YouTube - Quan’s made me well up :oops:

I've just finished watching Baron Noir. Slow start and not really tailored to an international audience, but worth sticking with. Very well-written.
I finished this last night. I didn't enjoy as much as Spiral and at times I wasn't following all of the technical aspects of the French political system but overall it was a satisfying watch.

Any more French TV recommendations would be very welcome.

Yo. I'm back in business with some more free prime. They just can't stop giving it to me.
So hit me up with what is currently good.

I did episode one of that Peripheral but it was shite and I doubt I will be going back.
Season 2 of Lower Decks actually seems OK
Season 2 of Upload is not great (two eps in) but it's good enough (based on the last series) to see to the end.

Films, TV series, Docs, whatever.

It's not the best thing ever, but The Rig has proven interesting enough to actually watch all 6 episodes.

It's not the best thing ever, but The Rig has proven interesting enough to actually watch all 6 episodes.
My initial reaction is to dismiss that out of hand (not knowing anything about it).
BUT
Is it a documentary about an oil rig?
I made a TV show a few years back about the transportation of an oil rig and it was (apart from being a pain in the arse to work on) fascinating. The one thing I would have liked to have seen more of was the lives of the people involved. If this is that I'm in. (though I was more interested in the lives of the crews that worked the ships that carried the MEGA cargos like oil rigs all around the world.

I ditched this after realising that the first 3 episodes were virtually identical. Owen Teale’s shouty character was getting on my tits too.

My initial reaction is to dismiss that out of hand (not knowing anything about it).
BUT
Is it a documentary about an oil rig?
I made a TV show a few years back about the transportation of an oil rig and it was (apart from being a pain in the arse to work on) fascinating. The one thing I would have liked to have seen more of was the lives of the people involved. If this is that I'm in. (though I was more interested in the lives of the crews that worked the ships that carried the MEGA cargos like oil rigs all around the world.
No. It definitely is not thatimages.jpeg.jpg

It looks dreadful. TV mystery/thriller/ murder drama has jumped the shark.

Pretty much every one I've watched recently has been formulaic twaddle. I'm looking at you "The Light in the Hall" and "The House Across the Street".

I also have no idea why I gave "Rosie Malloy Gives Up Everything " houseroom either. That was absolute unmitigated shite.

But I digress....none of this is on Prime.

I think I'm going to subscribe to MUBI again so I can watch The Kingdom.

Back
Top Bottom