Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

I don’t know what I did last night, but ep5 was appropriately subbed without be doing anything - that I remember.
A couple of days ago I started getting correct subtitles. Previously even high profile shows like the Boys wouldn't have subs for the foreign conversations unless you had all the English subtitles on. However I have also had subtitles popping up when I haven't asked for them.

I too had subtitle issues last night. I was watching the latest episode of The Boys and there is a scene where people speak in Russian with subtitles. For some inexplicable reason my subtitles were in German. I turned on full CC English subtitles for a bit and then turned them off again and that seemed to fix it — English translations for foreign speech once again.

When I first tried prime (last year I think) all the sound was two or three frames out of sync with the picture. This month it's been fine but it still drifts now an then. Watched film last night and at the end it was way off.

When I first tried prime (last year I think) all the sound was two or three frames out of sync with the picture. This month it's been fine but it still drifts now an then. Watched film last night and at the end it was way off.
Prime subs do my nut. Always out of sync, or non existent, or plain wrong

The one thing I do like about prime over amazon is the weird stuff you find in searches. It's quite easy to get to the bottom of what is available on Netflix, but type something random into Prime and you can open up a whole new worm hole of films.

I also have no idea how it works but I did a search for 'cannibal' the other day (looking for cannibal holocaust - which was there!) and it came up with all these other 'cannibal' films, but right slap bang in the middle of them all it also included Dirty Dancing.

There are some great niche music documentaries there - loads on punk for example
That is very true. Some are pretty shit, but I reloaded just last night (searching 'music') and a whole load of new ones are included. I quite like music documentaries (and reading autobiographies) even if I am not mad keen on the music itself.

There is also quite a good selection of modern low budget sci fi. Always a bit hit and miss, but I like to see people work with science fiction ideas and concepts and lack of budget means that don't get Michel Bayed to death 20 minutes in.
May mind hasn't been 'blown' by any I have seen yet.

Prime has some great documentaries and no good way of really finding any of them.
Have you tried typing in 'documentary', and they type of documentary you would like to see? So far it seems to work for me. I think the engine is exactly the same at the regular Amazon search.

Why don’t people just research what they want to see instead of relying on some shitty algorithm? It’s like relying on IMDb ratings when choosing films

Why don’t people just research what they want to see instead of relying on some shitty algorithm? It’s like relying on IMDb ratings when choosing films
Sometimes you just want to browse “documentaries” as a category and come across things you wouldn’t necessarily find with a directed search.

Sometimes you just want to browse “documentaries” as a category and come across things you wouldn’t necessarily find with a directed search.
And what is stopping you typing in 'documentary' into the prime search?

I just did it and got an hour long documentary on the history of the fart.

Bah, I've just added a million documentaries to my watch list now. I'm going to have to pay for another months subscription.

Nothing now you’ve given me the idea. It’s OU I was responding to, who thought I should know what I wanted before I even turned on the television.
On the surface Prime appears to have quite a limited selection. It takes a looooong time to really start offering you up things that you might want to watch, and even then it's usually new or popular choices (The recommend for you on prime section of the front page).
You just have to go looking for yourself really. When I hear something is good I usually just to a search to see if it is free on prime. Films (big or small) seem to flop in and out of being free quite quickly. It's worth nosing around as there are all sorts of weird short films and experimental stuff in there that they probably bought in a bulk deal.

United States of Tara. A comedy-drama series about a married woman with a family (Toni Collette) living with DID (multiple personality disorder in old money).

Her condition is treated respectfully rather than being a comedy vehicle. She has several split personalities including a teenager and a 1950s suburban wife, and many conflicts and situations arise when her alter egos take over.

Nearly finished S1, and enjoying it a lot. It gets better with every episode.

Absolutely hated episode 1 of Tara - gutted, cos I usually love anything with Toni Collette in.

We watched An English Haunting last night. A modern film made to look like the old Hammer Horror films. Enjoyed it, pretty old skool ghost story, some excellent jump-scares, with some ridiculously daft stuff in it too.

Started watching 'Fart', a documentary on the history of farts. The wife has walked out saying it's disgusting.
Subject is up my alley. But is it any good? I guess due to not having nearly as large a catalogue as Netflix, Amazon has a large number of programmes to complement their premium and make up the numbers that is truly atrocious.

Subject is up my alley. But is it any good? I guess due to not having nearly as large a catalogue as Netflix, Amazon has a large number of programmes to complement their premium and make up the numbers that is truly atrocious.
Prime does have quite a large catalogue, it just doesn't appear in the main page and recommended section in the same way as netflix. You have to actually search for it. A whole load of dross too, but a rather large amount of surprises, films mostly. I actually thought it had far more than Netflix.

Prime does have quite a large catalogue, it just doesn't appear in the main page and recommended section in the same way as netflix. You have to actually search for it. A whole load of dross too, but a rather large amount of surprises, films mostly. I actually thought it had far more than Netflix.
Yes, Amazon has far more content than Netflix, although you do have to pay extra for a lot of it.

Keeping Faith is pretty good. It’s a Welsh mystery about a solicitor couple. The husband goes missing and during the wife’s search she finds out that he was mixed up in all sorts of dodgy shit. Excellent cast and it’s shot in and around Carmarthen so lots of nice scenery photography too.

Back
Top Bottom