Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alien: Romulus (aka: In Space, no-one turns on the fucking lights)

Chz

Stark Raving Sane
First of all, I would like to say that I think it looks fun. A lot more fun than Prometheus or Covenant. And I do understand that it's basically a horror film and mood lighting is a part of that.
But for fuck's sake, why does every scene have to be in the dark? Did we, as a species, really expand out into the wide universe and think "You know how we could save a few tons of payload? No fucking lights. Or, where we do put in lights, really, really weak ones."

Did we, as a species, really expand out into the wide universe and think "You know how we could save a few tons of payload? No fucking lights. Or, where we do put in lights, really, really weak ones."

Mostly they filmed it in the dark… mostly
Probably filmed it in the middle of the day and spent shit loads on blackouts. :hmm:

Reactions: Chz
I think i remember reading the origanel alien film was intentionally dark as ripley scott thought the alien was more scary if not as visable.

Not watched new trailer yet as at work.

Bad lighting in films is often a bugbear of mine. I also hate over filtered/over colouised films. Especially when it's really cliche stuff like orange hues for Latin America and olverly washed out shots to represent 'Eastern Europe/Russia' etc.

I think i remember reading the origanel alien film was intentionally dark as ripley scott thought the alien was more scary if not as visable.

Not watched new trailer yet as at work.
James Cameron absolutely hated the 4k remaster of Aliens because by removing all the grain and fog you could see it was obviously just some guy in a rubber suit.

No doubt starts off with the lights on until the alien chews the power cables and batteries kick in
bastard too bright LEDs in the future on space ships i bet

anyhow this is just flogging a dead alien...running around on a ship down corridors etc. not again thanks

James Cameron absolutely hated the 4k remaster of Aliens because by removing all the grain and fog you could see it was obviously just some guy in a rubber suit.
The kids used to love Power Rangers when they were little and when it got to the stage where the giant monsters were knocking over the cardboard buildings, the zips on their backs were more visible than not.

The kids used to love Power Rangers when they were little and when it got to the stage where the giant monsters were knocking over the cardboard buildings, the zips on their backs were more visible than not.

and when they ran out of cardboard buildings they just moved all the fights to a quarry....

‘Digitally remastered’ re-releases of modern films are little more than a cynical cash-in if they don’t offer previously unseen material or a new cut by its director.

I can appreciate the merit when talking about a masterpiece of early cinema or otherwise a film that for whatever reason had no decent quality copies of available. But Aliens? Fuck off :D

I liked the road prometheus was going down. I wish they had let it be and follow that path expanding on ideas rather than doing yet more alien chase horror. Yawn.
Prometheus was the moment the franchise 'jumped the shark'. It was beyond bad.

I'm glad they are returning to (space) horror instead of poorly thought out sci-fi.

The film that brought us:
IMG_6683.jpeg
And...

IMG_6684.jpeg

Yes. There was things wrong with it, but I preferred the direction it was heading, even if it didn't fully pull it off. I found it more interesting than poorer versions of what had come before.

It was interesting. But it wasn't fun.
I think it was alright.
I had fun, but it was also flawed. . . It intrigued me enough to go back and re-watch alien. I discovered that I enjoyed the first half of the movie (which I previously didn't even really remember) a whole lot more than the second bit.

Back
Top Bottom