Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Afghanistan Earthquake, Taliban ask for help ..

weltweit

Afghanistan Earthquake, Taliban ask for help ..

Looks like a nasty earthquake and Afghan houses in the region were not built to withstand such things so they collapsed killing those inside under stone and rocks.

The Taliban have apparently asked for international assistance.

I think the UN is already on scene, but I wonder who else will help?

Somehow I expect assistance from the USA or Britain might be less welcome even though we have crews I think that are quite good at such things with the right equipment etc, I wonder if other countries are sending teams though?

Yes, I can't imagine that western aid workers would be welcomed. Unfortunately, added to the usual challenges of providing assistance, you have the challenges that Taliban rule add to the logistics involved. That is, assuming there's a will to help. Not a good situation.

Last edited:
It's in about the most inaccessible - roads etc.. barely exist - area, as well as being in about the most dangerous area. Hard up against the Pakistan border.

There are NGO's there, and there are aid flights going into Kabul and Kandahar, but it's all a bit flower arranging on the Titanic - no rescue teams will go up into the mountains of Greater Paktia... It's home to the Haqquani groups, people the Taliban kicked out for being too extreme.

No thanks...

Back
Top Bottom