Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Adopted world's most frightened cat

I wanted to post a reasoned response to the opening poster but my brain wont stop shouting long enough.

The poor cat.

There is more to having a pet than just feeding it, it needs to go to the vet for vaccinations, spaying, microchipping.

Take some responsibility or give the cat away.

I was told by the previous owners that the cat had been given vaccinations, had been spayed and microchipped by the rescue centre from which the owner before them had got him.

If we do decide to give the cat away, as I've said there's a Celia Hammond near here. But we need to get him inside first.

I was told by the previous owners that the cat had been given vaccinations, had been spayed and microchipped by the rescue centre from which the owner before them had got him.

If we do decide to give the cat away, as I've said there's a Celia Hammond near here. But we need to get him inside first.

Where's your friend? Where's the cat now?

I'm beginning to think you're on a wind-up

people get pets for their own pleasure. Not for any other reason*. There are responsibilities too but people put up with them because they love their pet. What's wrong with admitting that the pet is only bringing them responsibility, no pleasure, and therefore reconsidering keeping it.

If people feel like people were judging them for changing their mind about a pet then they dump them by the side of the road instead of taking them to the pet home.

*except ratting or protection or whatever, but again that's for human purposes not animal purposes.
I took on a dog, though I am not a pet lover, about 20 yrs ago and he was a right pain in the neck from the outset. I didn't acquire him for my own pleasure, but only for the fact that I felt sorry for him as he would've been put down otherwise. He was okay as it turned out, but very neurotic, and I had him for 12 years. He had a fairly comfortable life here but not the sort of life that a spaniel would really, really love. For one thing I was at work all day but my son would take him walkies during the day and for another I couldn't train him to walk on the lead for me properly so we used to go for our evening walks with me being almost horizontal. I don't know. I think Trevor had a better life with us than he would've had if he'd been dead (if that makes sense).

Where's your friend? Where's the cat now?

I'm beginning to think you're on a wind-up

My friend has gone back down the corridor to his bedroom. I'm at the desk in the lounge. The bowl of cat food is behind me on the floor next the small table and sofa.

Not sure if the cat will come in with me at the desk, since he hasn't seen me here before. Haven't seen him in the last ten minutes. But if he does come in, I'm pretty sure I can reach over and shut the window without needing to stand up.

Probably not the best thing to do with an already scared cat :hmm:

if your trying to catch it, it can be a last resort but a practical solution. The most important thing is to get the cat indoors and secure. The cat will soon get over the blanket ordeal after a few weeks.

My friend has gone back down the corridor to his bedroom. I'm at the desk in the lounge. The bowl of cat food is behind me on the floor next the small table and sofa.

Not sure if the cat will come in with me at the desk, since he hasn't seen me here before. Haven't seen him in the last ten minutes. But if he does come in, I'm pretty sure I can reach over and shut the window without needing to stand up.

I take it you're sitting at the desk MAKING A SHELTER?

IT IS VERY COLD.
THE CAT COULD DIE.

My vet said that if we hadn't taken our cat in when we did (autumn), she wouldn't have lasted the winter.

I don't understand why you don't get this :confused:
Yes, but at least this cat is getting fed. I've known of semi-feral cats to get by in not much shelter at all where they've had regular food supplied as well as known several cats that choose to stay out all night in minus whatever by choice, but tbf they weren't so nervous of people that they wouldn't come in your bed a night even if they were gone like a shot if you woke up. Is there a chance of shutting off the living room with the window left open (turn down radiator, put a bed near it under a box and a blanket so it looks like a safe hidey hole, plug in a feliway dooda and leave the food nearby? I mean really don't go in there. Do it for a few nights while it's proper cold. It may cost you a little extra in bills but again it may encourage the cat to at least see the living room as a place of warmth and safety as well as food. If it hadn't been such a mild winter it may well have given in already by now.

Failing that if you have any sort of shed or outhouse in the garden just chuck in some clean blankets/towels and leave the door open, no more. Banging about building a 'proper' shelter in the dark would probably just frighten it off at this point.

Also there are those cat flaps you can fit in glass rather than a wall. Perhaps consider dosing the room with feliway and catnip, and putting the food just inside a flap fitted to the preferred window? It may encourage it to come in by smell....

I guess in the immediate term the cat carrier covered in blankets and perhaps a bit of plywood would be better than nowt. Cats are notorious haters of carriers though.

At least it is returning to you for food, so it must see you as a rock of stability in it's life already. At least that's something to work on.

This is what you need.

5208073328_43338b0bca.jpg

Put some grub in the middle of the net.

Job's a goodun.

Yes, but at least this cat is getting fed. I've known of semi-feral cats to get by in not much shelter at all where they've had regular food supplied as well as known several cats that choose to stay out all night in minus whatever by choice,

I can see your point, but it's nice for the cat to have a choice, and if it's not going to cost anything more than a cardboard box and a blanket, and 30 seconds of OP's time to plonk it outside, it's not as if OP's being asked to build some massive fancy shelter

if you are for real you'll need to get over yerself and have a bit of patience.
i find it always helps to get down on the floor when a cat is that nervous of you. it might take an hour or more just sitting there, coaxing him over, softly, softly and all that.
dont speak too loudly or crash about the place.
they have to do everything in very little stages. once he trusts you you'll 'get something back'.

I can see your point, but it's nice for the cat to have a choice, and if it's not going to cost anything more than a cardboard box and a blanket, and 30 seconds of OP's time to plonk it outside, it's not as if OP's being asked to build some massive fancy shelter
My mate's dog house has a mezzanine level, pressure operated heating lamps, and a motion sensitive 'doorbell' to tell it when it's meant to go out in the yard and guard shit. The dog house is several feet taller than I am. TBF this has meant it is a bit of a shit guard dog, though very cute and cuddly for a bull mastiff. I don't think my mate is really cut out for raising a 'guard dog' for his yard, the dog is a right spoilt fucker.

It's not that cold. About freezing. But he looks like he has a nice covering of fur.

Unless they're ill, cats are pretty resilient, especially when young.

Back
Top Bottom