Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Adopted world's most frightened cat

Also, (this is just genuine curiosity) how come a dog can go all night without toilet facilities but a cat can't?

Dogs generally can't until they're trained to wait until they go outside. Dogs are easier to train though, having had thousands of years being trained to work for humans. Cats have had thousands of years being treated as gods.

Blimey Reno, World's Best ain't cheap, is it. :D

A bag is just under £10, but it lasts me at least 3 months and it doesn't get smelly, unlike cheap litter which needs changing a lot more often. Before my cat was allowed out, his litter box was basically in my living room, because my flat is pretty much open plan.

I had World's Best for the longest time. In the end, I forgot to order some in time from pet planet, so had to get something from the supermarket. So now shitbird uses that Sophisticat stuff, and imo it's just as good, even though it needs clearing out a bit more often. It tends to keep the smell away just as well if not better, and is masses cheaper.

I used to get that stuff that is small plastic balls. Catisan? It worked, I guess, but fucking hell I'm still finding the little balls and haven't had him using it for at least 5 years :oops:

They are frogs, not toads, which the cat is bringing in. That's why they keep hopping around.

He left one in the hallway yesterday morning which my housemate found. Wounded, but still alive.

Then this morning he dropped one in my bedroom again, and chased it round the room. The frog didn't seem wounded, and was able to hide under the bed. So I had to turn the divan over to find it.

This stuff about "If your cat brings in prey, you must make a fuss of your cat" is a load of bollocks, if it is happening every day. There's only so much delight I am capable of showing at another frog dropped on my bedroom floor.

What worries me is the one he brought today was in the morning. So keeping him locked inside at night won't cure the problem.

I would never make him into an indoor cat either, though. So maybe I have to just get used to it. I think frogs are only around in the summer, anyway.

I've just read this thread from start to finish and oh my, what a journey you have both been on.

Vincent looks like the most adorable mister, and I'm positive you have many very happy years ahead of you together.

I've had my own nervous shitbird for 12 years now, and he still has his moments of utter disdain or complete freakout, but he's gone from not wanting to be touched at all to letting me play with his belly and feets while he sleeps either on me or squished next to me. We spoon at night while I lay on the sofa watching stuff on my laptop. He still doesn't like being picked up though, and will scratch off a good 30% of my chest skin if I try. He's a finicky cunt, but he's my finicky cunt.

Thanks for your kind words. Vincent is great, apart from the frogs! It's nice that he lets me pick him up whenever I want. When I'm carrying him he'll stay in the exact same position I picked him up in, and he doesn't wriggle at all. Then when I sit down and balance him on my chest, he doesn't seem to mind that either. If he's in a good mood he'll even knead my stomach.

I have just watched him chase around a little frog for five minutes at the end of the garden.

He seems to just like watching them hop about. He nudges the frog with his paw. Then he follows it as it hops, and nudges it again if it stays still.

I don't know if he plans to kill them, or will just keep nudging them to make them hop.

Do you have toys for him indoors?

Maybe he brings them inside for indoor stimulation; getting lots of balls and things for him to chase might help reduce the amount of frogs.

Do you have toys for him indoors?

Maybe he brings them inside for indoor stimulation; getting lots of balls and things for him to chase might help reduce the amount of frogs.

I think you may be on to something.

This is definitely the part of cat-ownership I have been neglecting. I pick him up and stroke him all the time. It was nice earlier today when he fell asleep on me. But I rarely play with toys with him.

So, I am letting him get all his excitement outside - climbing trees, chasing frogs.

If I was to use up some of his energy inside, perhaps he would not be so interested in frogs. I do have a laser pointer that he loves running round after. I also have a dangly toy that I can make jump around in front of him. And a ball of wool he likes playing with.
I will try using these again and see what difference it makes.

You can get packs of cat toys from poundland. Our cat loves to chase them; if you get the plastic balls they can't grab onto them as easily so they run all over the house. Keeps em entertained for ages; we just chuck em at her a couple of times a day and the rest of the time she chases after them / pounces on them herself. You mainly get these ones, and a couple of soft ones:

Cat%20Toys4.jpg

Also some cats love balls of tin foil.

I have just watched him chase around a little frog for five minutes at the end of the garden.

He seems to just like watching them hop about. He nudges the frog with his paw. Then he follows it as it hops, and nudges it again if it stays still.

I don't know if he plans to kill them, or will just keep nudging them to make them hop.

That's millions of years of evolution at work there..have you seen any cat related information about this?

If get in early as the animal is young I take it, you can train a show cat...basically i'm sure others have heard a performing cat...youtube is you friend on this.

Hours of exercise and over the course of few months he/she will only hunt with you around, the rest of the time the cat will just do what they best sleep. Also find a reward for not hunting, like a smudge of processed cheese on the end of a cat snack.

a short stick with some string and paper/towel bow on the end, cats chase these for hours..
Innit?

I splashed out on a kitty gym and all manner of furry, squeaky, catnipped toys for our two when we first got them. Nowt doing. Me dad brought round some foil balls he'd made himself and they fucking LOVED them :mad::D:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom