Adopted world's most frightened cat

More photos, and then a problem!

WHAAAAAT'S IN THE BOOOOOX?

Oh, it's the cat!

jpkj0k.jpg

2ufzwie.jpg

9zwz2t.jpg

30ufkhs.jpg

What a sweet, harmless little kitty, eh?

But unfortunately he has a TOAD HABIT.

Every couple of days he'll bring in a toad from the garden, some big, some small. The other day I woke at 3.45am to the sound of a toad screaming as the cat dropped it on my bedroom floor!

Usually they are still alive, and the cat fucks around with them.

2v3q7bk.jpg

2i07zbq.jpg

I have read lots of articles and discussions on the Internet about cats bringing home prey. And the consensus is, if this happens, there is nothing you can do! The cat does it because he is bringing you a treat, he won't understand if you tell him off, it's in his nature, etc.

I understand that the cat is a predatory animal, not just a cute little pet. And if it was once every couple of weeks he brought in the toads, I could maybe put up with it. But not every couple of days, and not leaving them in my bedroom!

Just half an hour ago I was looking for my mobile phone, reached to the bottom of my bed, felt something squidgy, picked it up and found a toad hiding there... And it was still alive! The cat must have brought it in over night.

So, what can I do? The most obvious answer is to shut the window at night so the cat can't get outside. But then he will pace and whine, and scratch things to shreds. And, since I got rid of the litter tray and he toilets outside, I would worry he was going to pee or poop inside the flat.

Although there is another problem there if we leave the window open. The other day my housemate reported a piss-like smell in the kitchen, and we think another male cat may have come in and sprayed... In fact I have seen a neighbouring cat in the hallway in the middle of the night, so we know they have come in through the window, and I think have eaten our cat's dry food which is left out.

So... Should I shut the window and keep the cat in at night, but lock him out of my room so I don't get disturbed by his whining? But I do quite want him to sleep in my room, just not bringing in toads!

Or should I lock him out at night (since it's summer) and allow him to chase toads to his heart's content, just so long as he keeps it outside?

Oh! Another corner of the internet where you can post pictures of cats for mutual appreciation.

This little fella was spotted in a shop window in Amsterdam. He clearly was lapping up the attention given to him by passers by - but pretending not to care.

Cats in shop windows always reminds me of a corner shop in Goldborne Rd. They used to have the bread by the window and one day I saw a cat stretched out across three loafs of freshly baked bread, without a care in the world.

If you lock it in at night then it will eventually stop whining and go to sleep. I presume, my cat doesn't whine at all, so nerr.

Also, if it brings you a toad, get out of bed, stroke the cat to say thanks and set the litle critter free
Poor toad :(

It's up to you.

Our cat stays in at night. She may not particularly like it, but tough shit. If you don't want yowling, just shut the cat out of your bedroom. They'll get over it.

If you're getting other male cats spraying inside your own place, I would be shutting the window pronto. It's up to you whether you leave the cat out all night or not really; I wouldn't, I think it's safer to keep them in. But if you think your cat is very resilient and used to being out for long periods of time then I suppose it would be okay.

If you lock it in at night then it will eventually stop whining and go to sleep. I presume, my cat doesn't whine at all, so nerr.

Also, if it brings you a toad, get out of bed, stroke the cat to say thanks and set the litle critter free
Poor toad :(

Stroking the cat and setting the toad free is okay a couple of times. But doing it every couple of days soon becomes tiresome.

So, I will start locking him in at night. Though will he be okay without a litter tray? I don't want to get one again - I would rather have to deal with toads than cat poop! Can a cat go from midnight to 7-8am without needing the toilet? If his last meal was at 7pm he should be fine, right?

Of course you should have a litter tray ffs. Your cat should always have access to toilet facilities, 24 hours a day. Our cat only goes outside, but we've still got one in the kitchen just in case she needs to use it.

Cat shit is really not that bad. Get a litter tray with a roof and flap on it so you don't see the shit, get good quality clumping litter so cleaning out is easy and buy the packets of stuff you can sprinkle over and in litter to reduce odours.

A litter tray is essential if you keep the cat indoors. How would you like it if you were locked in a place with no toilet ? The cat will only start pissing on your carpet and once they start that, they are difficult to get out of the habit again.

If you can't cope with cleaning a litter tray then you shouldn't have gotten a cat. I can't see what the big deal is.

Get clumping quality litter like Cat's Best. It's a bit more expensive but a bag lasts me months and it doesn't smell.

Toads..

Hey when he brings in a stunned by not quite deaded but quite pissed off squirrel in as a loving gift and drops it on your bed

Then you will full understand the joys of cat ownership

Hahaha that sounds a delight! We have lots of squirrels in the garden but fortunately the cat is not very interested.

He has never caught a bird either, though he does climb in pursuit of them.

13zx15l.jpg

A litter tray is essential if you keep the cat indoors. How would you like it if you were locked in a place with no toilet ? The cat will only start pissing on your carpet and once they start that, they are difficult to get out of the habit again.

If you can't cope with cleaning a litter tray then you shouldn't have gotten a cat.

Get clumping quality litter like Cat's Best. It's a bit more expensive but a bag lasts me months and it doesn't smell.

Up until now the cat has been free to come and go when he pleases. He doesn't need a litter tray because he goes outside. We did have a tray when we first got him, but got rid of it when he learned to go outside. And I always found the tray disgusting even with the best quality litter, so I was glad to see it go.

I was just asking if it would be a problem to shut the window between 12 midnight and 7-8am without having a tray. If you say the cat can't go this long without access to outside or a litter tray, then I will keep on keeping the window open, and just have to deal with the toads.

But if you have other cats pissing in your flat a) it will stink and b) you leave potential for a lot of fighting.

What is so awful about a litter tray? You know that if you ever move you will HAVE NO CHOICE but to keep the cat indoors for a few weeks so it adjusts / learns the new scent. Are you planning to stay put for the next 15-20 years?

A cat bringing in prey wouldn't be a reason for me to keep it indoors, that comes with the territory. Put a bell on the cat's collar so at least birds are warned off. If the cat has outdoor access round the clock then of course it doesn't need a tray, but you can't have it go without a piss for several hours and certainly not a whole night.

But if you have other cats pissing in your flat a) it will stink and b) you leave potential for a lot of fighting.

What is so awful about a litter tray? You know that if you ever move you will HAVE NO CHOICE but to keep the cat indoors for a few weeks so it adjusts / learns the new scent. Are you planning to stay put for the next 15-20 years?

Actually yes! I plan to buy this place one day.

A cat bringing in prey wouldn't be a reason for me to keep it indoors, that comes with the territory. Put a bell on the cats collar so at least birds are warned off. If the cat has outdoor access round the clock then of course it doesn't need a tray, but you can't have it go without a piss for several hours and certainly not a whole night.

Okay, thanks!

Maybe we should start putting his dry food away at night? Because this might be why other cats come in, they know they can find food.
I have seen our cat grazing at it at 5am too, though.

1. Having to buy the litter and get it back here. I live on the top of a hill, 20 minutes walk from the supermarket, and don't have a car. There's a shop that's nearer but they only sell the cheapest stuff.

2. The space the tray takes up

3. The hassle of changing the litter

4. The awful smell!

But then you are denying your cat food because you cannot be arsed to get over yourself and clean a litter tray.

Your cat should have access to the following 24/7: food, water, warmth / shelter and toilet facilities.

If you don't want animals constantly being brought in and you don't want other cats coming in and nicking your cats food (I certainly don't, we wage a constant battle with next door's cats who try to come in when we have the back door open and nick our cat's food) and pissing everywhere, shut the window and get a litter tray.

My litter tray never smells with the cat litter I mentioned, but of course it needs taking the clumped piss and shit out every day. You just use a litter scooper, put it in an old plastic bag and chuck it in the bin. It doesn't strike me as a bigger deal than other chores around the house.

You can buy cat litter over the Internet and get it delivered. Would that be an option ?

1. Having to buy the litter and get it back here. I live on the top of a hill, 20 minutes walk from the supermarket, and don't have a car. There's a shop that's nearer but they only sell the cheapest stuff.

2. The space the tray takes up

3. The hassle of changing the litter

4. The awful smell!

1) Order online

2) Wtf? It takes up a tiny amount of space. They don't need to be palatial, just big enough for them to shit in.

3) Boo fucking hoo.

4) You can buy stuff which you sprinkle over the litter which deodorises really well. Plus if you buy a good quality litter and clean it out daily, you stop it from smelling at all.

A cat bringing in prey wouldn't be a reason for me to keep it indoors, that comes with the territory. Put a bell on the cat's collar so at least birds are warned off. If the cat has outdoor access round the clock then of course it doesn't need a tray, but you can't have it go without a piss for several hours and certainly not a whole night.
This would be my advice too.

1) Order online

2) Wtf? It takes up a tiny amount of space. They don't need to be palatial, just big enough for them to shit in.

3) Boo fucking hoo.

4) You can buy stuff which you sprinkle over the litter which deodorises really well. Plus if you buy a good quality litter and clean it out daily, you stop it from smelling at all.

Ordering online is a good idea, thanks.

The tray we had before was enormous because it was one of those covered-over ones. Are you suggesting a smaller one, like those without lids?

I've just read this thread from start to finish and oh my, what a journey you have both been on.

Vincent looks like the most adorable mister, and I'm positive you have many very happy years ahead of you together.

I've had my own nervous shitbird for 12 years now, and he still has his moments of utter disdain or complete freakout, but he's gone from not wanting to be touched at all to letting me play with his belly and feets while he sleeps either on me or squished next to me. We spoon at night while I lay on the sofa watching stuff on my laptop. He still doesn't like being picked up though, and will scratch off a good 30% of my chest skin if I try. He's a finicky cunt, but he's my finicky cunt.

I know plenty of people with cats who don't have litter trays, the OP has now stated he has no intention of locking the cat in over night so whats the problem with the no litter tray thing?

I guess it's nice to give the cat a choice, but different things work for different cats. There's no hard and fast rule to any of it.

Back
Top Bottom