Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Adopted world's most frightened cat

We have got a scratch-post (which apparently the cat never liked), a cardboard box it used to like to hide in, a ball of wool it used to like to play with, and a toy on a string. We got all these from the previous owners. I could easily turn the cardboard box into a little bed that I could put out on the patio with some blankets, etc.

Great post, thanks. Just to be clear, I didn't get the cat from a rescue shelter. I got it from a young couple who posted on another forum. They didn't mention in their post that it had been a rescue cat, it wasn't until I travelled 90 minutes to get to their place that they told me this, and they told me in the context that it had been neutered and wormed and microchipped etc. If anything it sounds like the most irresponsible person in this story is guy who got the cat from the rescue home in the first place. He passed the cat on to this couple, who had the cat for a month. They did everything they could to look after and bond with the cat, but were unable to keep it because they lived in a tiny flat with no outdoor area and a landlord who didn't permit pets.

I know I need to get the window shut, but I am on the other side of the room and can't get over there without the cat smelling a rat, so to speak, and running out. Hold on, I'll do an MSPaint...

you'll have to wait by the window, sounds shit but it's nothing compared to some of the hoops I've had to jump through for my dogs.

It seems like several posters are telling you to keep the cat in for a while and you're either ignoring them or really resistant to the idea and I don't see why.

Great post, thanks. Just to be clear, I didn't get the cat from a rescue shelter. I got it from a young couple who posted on another forum. They didn't mention in their post that it had been a rescue cat, it wasn't until I travelled 90 minutes to get to their place that they told me this, and they told me in the context that it had been neutered and wormed and microchipped etc. If anything it sounds like the most irresponsible person in this story is guy who got the cat from the rescue home in the first place. He passed the cat on to this couple, who had the cat for a month. They did everything they could to look after and bond with the cat, but were unable to keep it because they lived in a tiny flat with no outdoor area and a landlord who didn't permit pets.

I know I need to get the window shut, but I am on the other side of the room and can't get over there without the cat smelling a rat, so to speak, and running out. Hold on, I'll do an MSPaint...

If it's not possible tonight, you may have to leave it till tomorrow morning and stand by the window and slam it shut as soon as it jumps in. That or see if you can tempt it in with another packet of food tonight.

36D.jpg

Suitable for use on cats, as below.

raccoon2.jpg

It seems like several posters are telling you to keep the cat in for a while and you're either ignoring them or really resistant to the idea and I don't see why.

EHHHHH

No, I am not resistant to the idea. I have said that the cat is so scared it runs out of the window if I even move my arm, let alone if try to stand up!!! So how the heck am I meant to close the window??

Tonight I'm going to try putting its food inside the cat carry-crate, and see if I can cover it up when it goes in there, then shut the window and let it out again.

Here is an MSN Paint! The blue is where the cat comes in. The orange shows where the cat has gone to; and F is where it's eaten the food.

I realize I should try moving his food further and further away from the window, but he has to be able to see the food from the window to want to come in.

Also even when he went along the corridor, he was fast enough to be back in the lounge and out of the window by the time I had stood up...:

f4e8o6.png

One idea I did have was to put the food in the conservatory, where he could see it from the patio. Then maybe he will come in through the lounge and walk all the way there, and I might have a chance to close the lounge window. The conservatory would then be the room we'd leave him in to get acclimatized, and it's where his litter-box cage is.

We have got a scratch-post (which apparently the cat never liked), a cardboard box it used to like to hide in, a ball of wool it used to like to play with, and a toy on a string. We got all these from the previous owners. I could easily turn the cardboard box into a little bed that I could put out on the patio with some blankets, etc.

Put some plastic over it or it'll get soggy and it's more insulation

Here is an MSN Paint!. The orange shows where the cat has gone to. Obviously I should try moving his food further and further away from the window, but he has to be able to see it to want to come in. Also even when he went along the corridor, he was fast enough to be back in the lounge and out of the window by the time I had stood up...:

f4e8o6.png
Is there enough space under the desk to hide?

Good diagram :cool: Good luck. Get the outdoor bedding set up anyway though. You don't want the poor kitteh to freeze.
What's his name btw?

Oh also we did try leaving the conservatory door open, and the food in there, so the cat could come in by itself without seeing us.
But we had foxes coming in there instead!

so I'm guessing since you're saying "we" there is at least two of you. If you're using dry food - one of you shake the box but stand back from the window - as far as possible and hopefully the cat will come running. The other person should wait by the window and as soon as the cat is through shut it. Make sure all other escape exits are shut too. Then let him hide. He'll hide for ages - probably until you go to bed. Leave food and water and a litter tray out for him overnight.

Is there more than one of you there or are you by yourself?

and what kind of food is it (ie wet or dry?)

I've got a housemate who is usually at home, but not in the lounge much. And the sound of him walking along the corridor or even opening his bedroom door is enough to get the cat to shoot out of the window.

We've been putting out both wet and dry food. The cat prefers the wet stuff.

Get it put down? It's clearly never going to give any owner joy.
:eek:

And yes you could try either putting a 'cat shelter' in the garden for the time being, or installing a cat flap. As the weather gets warmer you could try feeding it very late at night and putting the food fairly near you and pretending to be asleep the whole time which would help get it used to you.

Feliway probably would help, you could just dose up the room you are feeding it in for now.

I've known a lot of people have quite terrified cats. My mum had two rescue cats that had literally been dragged out from under their owner's deathbed by cats protection. They never did really calm down around other people but after about a year both would occasionally sit on my mum's lap. Another person I knew had two sisters, one was fairly nervous around new people but would come around eventually to regular visitors. The other one only he ever got a proper look at - all anyone else he knew saw was a disappearing fluffy tail. Both were so nervous even after being with him for over ten years that he ended up putting in his will for them to be put to sleep when he eventually karked it as they seemed to take so long to adjust to anything at all really.

Even with rescue dogs you get problems though. Radar is very nervous the first night you stay anywhere different or new, and had a few weeks of paranoia when the weather got cold in November which I can only assume is because it was a similar season last year when he got rescued and given to me.

I've got a housemate who is usually at home, but not in the lounge much. And the sound of him walking along the corridor or even opening his bedroom door is enough to get the cat to shoot out of the window.

We've been putting out both wet and dry food. The cat prefers the wet stuff.

You still need to put out water even this time of year as well. Most will prefer the wet food, as cats get a lot of their moisture from their diet.

Ah yes, good point, I forgot cardboard gets soggy. First I'll try putting the box in the lounge tonight and see if the cat recognizes it / goes near it.

A nice warm cosy box right by the window might tempt him in whilst also giving him a quick escape route.

Here is an MSN Paint! The blue is where the cat comes in. The orange shows where the cat has gone to; and F is where it's eaten the food.

I realize I should try moving his food further and further away from the window, but he has to be able to see the food from the window to want to come in.

Also even when he went along the corridor, he was fast enough to be back in the lounge and out of the window by the time I had stood up...:

f4e8o6.png

One idea I did have was to put the food in the conservatory, where he could see it from the patio. Then maybe he will come in through the lounge and walk all the way there, and I might have a chance to close the lounge window. The conservatory would then be the room we'd leave him in to get acclimatized, and it's where his litter-box cage is.

String.

Back
Top Bottom