Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Adopted world's most frightened cat

You need to register with a vet anyway, in case of emergency.

Yes, definitely.

But, aargghhh!! Mid-afternoon I was resolved that we couldn't keep this cat. I spent a while looking at adverts for English pointer puppies (none in London unfortunatey). In my head I wrote the email to the landlord asking if we could get a dog (nothing against it in our contract, and the flat is rented unfurnished, but best to be sure). I am really a dog person and I really want to get a dog!

Now the cat has been friendly (if tick-infested) I'm thinking maybe we should keep him. Or maybe not - there are plenty of people who'd give him a better home.

Oh, I don't know!

Yes, definitely.

But, aargghhh!! Mid-afternoon I was resolved that we couldn't keep this cat. I spent a while looking at adverts for English pointer puppies (none in London unfortunatey). In my head I wrote the email to the landlord asking if we could get a dog (nothing against it in our contract, and the flat is rented unfurnished, but best to be sure). I am really a dog person and I really want to get a dog!

Now the cat has been friendly (if tick-infested) I'm thinking maybe we should keep him. Or maybe not - there are plenty of people who'd give him a better home. Oh, I don't know!

Oh behave,:rolleyes: you know you want to keep him now he's walking all over you :D

Yes, definitely.

Now the cat has been friendly (if tick-infested) I'm thinking maybe we should keep him. Or maybe not - there are plenty of people who'd give him a better home. Oh, I don't know!

Jesus Christ, don't get a dog. :(

Jesus Christ, don't get a dog. :(

We looked after a friend's dog for two months in November-December and it was great. The exercise did me good, and I got to meet loads of other dog-owners when previously I'd never talked to anyone in the neighbourhood. And dogs are generally awesome. I grew up with dogs, my parents always had them.

But yes, if you mean I hardly seem responsible enough to look after a cat, so how on earth would I be able to look after a dog, I do kind of know where you're coming from. I work from home, though, and we live a few minutes from a small park and 15 minutes from a huge one, and we've got a big garden, so it feels like the best chance I'll ever have to get one.

Cats and dogs aren't as dissimilar as people make out anyway. Both respond to the simple principles of action-consequence-negative/positive reinforcement. I'd love to have a dog, but I work full time so it wouldn't be fair. My ex-wife wanted cats, so we got cats. When we divorced, she didn't care for them anymore, whilst I'd fallen in love with them. I know sod all about cats, so treated them as I would have dogs (within reasonable parameters). I'm sure some of my methods would give some of the cat-lovers on here palpitations, but a decade later I have a very content, loving, affectionate and well-behaved pusscat. I love her to bits, she greets me at the door when I come home, curls up on my lap in the evening, and sleeps at the end of my bed.

There is a difference between dogs and cats, and you can't expect a cat to respond with as much simple logic as a dog to reward/reprimand - but the biggest difference in their behaviour (IMO) is due to the difference between their owners.

You can't go anywhere without considering a dog, not even for one night, you can't go out and go on to other folk's houses for a session and crash etc. you can't go abroad, unless you can afford a holiday and kennels etc etc

Training a puppy? You know how to go about that? I've had dogs all my life but wouldn't be confident training a puppy, I wouldn't take one on.

There's lots people don't consider when getting a dog/puppy that's why so many end up in rescue :(

You can't go anywhere without considering a dog, not even for one night, you can't go out and go on to other folk's houses for a session and crash etc. you can't go abroad, unless you can afford a holiday and kennels etc etc

Training a puppy? You know how to go about that? I've had dogs all my life but wouldn't be confident training a puppy, I wouldn't take one on.

There's lots people don't consider when getting a dog/puppy that's why so many end up in rescue :(

I don't go anywhere anyway. Honestly my life is really very dull. I am lucky if I go out at the weekend. I don't go on holiday. I don't drink alcohol any more. I work from home, and my housemate also works from home. And I grew up with dogs and have always wanted a dog of my own.

As I said, we had a large dog here that we were looking after for two months in November-December.

There are puppy-training classes in the park a few minutes up the road...

People have babies with less thought than I've put into getting a dog!

Didn't think to hard about getting a cat though, you got a cat cos you couldn't get a dog, now that you're not keen on having the cat you want to get a dog again.

FFS, it aint exactly looking good from here.

What about if the dog is a nightmare? You gonna stick with it no matter what? From what I've seen of you on this thread I really, really doubt it.

First you moan about the cat running away from you, now you moan about it climbing onto you - the poor thing can't do right for doing wrong! :D

First you moan about the cat running away from you, now you moan about it climbing onto you - the poor thing can't do right for doing wrong! :D

I was being tongue-in-cheek the second time round.

The cat has just been walking over me again, it is purring now.

Didn't think to hard about getting a cat though, you got a cat cos you couldn't get a dog, now that you're not keen on having the cat you want to get a dog again.

What about if the dog is a nightmare? You gonna stick with it no matter what? From what I've seen of you on this thread I really, really doubt it.

I could never see myself giving up a dog!

yep, he deffo has competment issues. He will get a sheep dog n wish he got a sheep.

Cat is still climbing all over me.

A couple of good things about him - he hasn't bitten or scratched me. And he seems really well toilet trained and hasn't pissed or shat anywhere except for the litter tray.

Cat is still climbing all over me.

A couple of good things about him - he hasn't bitten or scratched me. And he seems really well toilet trained and hasn't pissed or shat anywhere except for the litter tray.

since about 13 pages ago, you were wondering if he's feral, i'd say things are going pretty well.

Have you tried stroking him yet?

Yes that's what I've been doing, he actually lay down on top of me. Quite bizarre this personality shift, he has gone from totally petrified to totally relaxed in the space of a few hours.

He is still miaowing a lot when he walks in the other rooms, though, and I'm sure he'd love to get outside again, not that we'd let him.

Back
Top Bottom