Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Adopted world's most frightened cat

I could never see myself giving up a dog!
I think my main concern wrt to your taking on any animal at the moment is what's just happened with the cat.

I don't give a fuck if it's a cat, a rat, a horse, or a Vietnamese pot bellied pig, tbh.

What concerns me is that you took responsibility for the welfare of an animal who'd been through a rough time; and a VERY short time after that, your desires and inclinations (rather than the animal's needs & wellbeing) were the absolute centre of your world. To a very considerable extent, I get the impression that they continue to be the centre of your world.

The animal appears to be something that's kinda happening to you, rather than a real and living creature. His most basic needs / wants / desires seem to be a bit of a distraction from what you'd really like to be doing. Even the escaping bit was because you just weren't thinking about it. No offence intended, but that's pretty much what happened. IMU.

And tbh it isn't barking and stuff and it isn't the right shape and originally it wasn't needy enough and now it's too friendly so the poor bastard should probably be punted on to - what? - a fourth home? A fifth home?

In that respect, it's not the shape of the animal, or the noises it makes, or whether or not it needs walkies, or whether or not you enjoy giving it walkies. It's the role this cat - so far - has played in your life. Or the role it hasn't played in your life. It's your fundamental attitude to its disposability, and the lack of rights or apparent respect you seem to've had for it as a living creature.

OK, fine, that might change with time, education, appreciation, even the right shape of animal.

But it's the main worry for me, tbh. Not the length of time you've thought about 'what it would be like for me to have a dog.' But the disrespect you've shown towards this one, needy, homeless animal, and the trivial / peripheral / disposable role it's played in your life.

If you're going to get rid of the cat, then for the love of god do it. He sounds like a wonderful animal, and I really hope he finds more stability in his next home. But... man. Moving straight on to a dog, when a cat's been dismissed this easily... just doesn't sit right with me at all.

Yes that's what I've been doing, he actually lay down on top of me. Quite bizarre this personality shift, he has gone from totally petrified to totally relaxed in the space of a few hours.<snip>
IMHO not bizarre at all, if it's had bad experiences with humans before. It sounds to me like you've got a cat which has at some point enjoyed being around humans, then got treated really badly by some (maybe not deliberately), and is trying to decide whether you're mostly harmless or not.

I think my main concern wrt to your taking on any animal at the moment is what's just happened with the cat.

I don't give a fuck if it's a cat, a rat, a horse, or a Vietnamese pot bellied pig, tbh.

What concerns me is that you took responsibility for the welfare of an animal who'd been through a rough time; and a VERY short time after that, your desires and inclinations (rather than the animal's needs & wellbeing) were the absolute centre of your world. To a very considerable extent, I get the impression that they continue to be the centre of your world.
<snip>
If you're going to get rid of the cat, then for the love of god do it. He sounds like a wonderful animal, and I really hope he finds more stability in his next home. But... man. Moving straight on to a dog, when a cat's been dismissed this easily... just doesn't sit right with me at all.
Word - animals have feelings and needs of their own. Even looking through adverts for a pedigree puppy doesn't sound right to me - too close to mail order brides IYSWIM.

Word - animals have feelings and needs of their own. Even looking through adverts for a pedigree puppy doesn't sound right to me - too close to mail order brides IYSWIM.

The pedigree thing is just because the last dog I lived with (for six months in the last place I lived, then for two months when we were dog-sitting) was an English Pointer. So when I say that is the kind of dog I would like to get, that's because I really like that specific dog. I know dogs have very different personalities, but if we got one from a puppy we could do all we could to make sure it turned out alright.

I did look at getting a black labrador rescue dog. I just remembered I did a thread about this before, 13 months ago when I first moved into this flat. Since then I've got a contract, met the landlord, confirmed we have exclusive use of the garden, discovered a huge woods within walking distance, and got a different housemate who's dog friendly:

http://www.urban75.net/forums/threa...rescue-dog-do-i-have-to-tell-landlord.265075/

The lumps on the cat's head may well be abscesses, in which case you could try bathing them in salt water. They may need veterinary treatment though.

The animal appears to be something that's kinda happening to you, rather than a real and living creature. His most basic needs / wants / desires seem to be a bit of a distraction from what you'd really like to be doing. Even the escaping bit was because you just weren't thinking about it. No offence intended, but that's pretty much what happened. IMU.

And tbh it isn't barking and stuff and it isn't the right shape and originally it wasn't needy enough and now it's too friendly so the poor bastard should probably be punted on to - what? - a fourth home? A fifth home?

In that respect, it's not the shape of the animal, or the noises it makes, or whether or not it needs walkies, or whether or not you enjoy giving it walkies. It's the role this cat - so far - has played in your life. Or the role it hasn't played in your life. It's your fundamental attitude to its disposability, and the lack of rights or apparent respect you seem to've had for it as a living creature.

OK, fine, that might change with time, education, appreciation, even the right shape of animal.

But it's the main worry for me, tbh. Not the length of time you've thought about 'what it would be like for me to have a dog.' But the disrespect you've shown towards this one, needy, homeless animal, and the trivial / peripheral / disposable role it's played in your life.

Have we met ?!?!

Great post, mrs quoad. There was definitely one moment of irresponsibility in the first week of having the cat when I let him escape. If I am honest I didn't care if the cat ran away at that point, because I was so nauseous from the smell when I went to empty out the cat litter tray, and I thought no way will I be able to do this regularly. I opened the door to go outside to empty it into a binbag, but left the door open not minding if the cat fucked off. So at this point yes I was wildly irresponsible, and had done a bad thing by taking this cat on the premise I'd give it a good home, then finding myself unable or unwilling to do so.

However I would say that from this point I've tried to make up for it and, despite various thought-crimes, my actual behaviour towards the cat has been exemplary. When it reappeared at the window I started putting out catfood, then gradually moved the tray indoors and sat very still while the cat grew accustomed to coming inside again. Then when I worked out how to get the window closed, I've left the cat to its own devices in its own quiet and undisturbed room. I've tried to play with it a few times, by dangling a toy in front of it, but at the moment he's not ready to be interested.

So, I think you're right in your general description of my psychology. It's certainly true that in my mind I've been moslty concerned with my needs, and what the cat can do for me. However I don't think this should mean I could never own a pet.

Both things can be true: I can have a pet because of some deep urge to satisfy my own neediness that doesn't really recognize the pet as a separate creature, while I'm still doing everything I ought to do to look after it.

The lumps on the cat's head may well be abscesses, in which case you could try bathing them in salt water. They may need veterinary treatment though.

I couldn't find a good photo of a cat with an abscess. The pics I saw looked bloodier and nastier than what our cat has got. So I'm leaning towards thinking they are ticks. But yes I agree getting a vet's opinion would be a good idea.

So, I think you're right in your general description of my psychology. It's certainly true that in my mind I've been moslty concerned with my needs, and what the cat can do for me. However I don't think this should mean I could never own a pet.

Both things can be true: I can have a pet because of some deep urge to satisfy my own neediness that doesn't really recognize the pet as a separate creature, while I'm still doing everything I ought to do to look after it.

I agree in a way with both of you. I know plenty of women who said they'd never have children as they're not interested/don't have the time/patience etc. and change their minds as soon as they've had them. Hopefully, it'll work out like that for you and the moggy :D

Cats aren't exactly 'nocturnal' - their natural state is to be most active when prey species are most active, which tends to be around dusk and dawn, rather than the middle of the night.

Cats tend to sleep anything up to 16 hours a day, although not usually in a single stretch - natural cat behaviour is to have a mouse-sized meal, then sleep, then repeat - which is why it's also natural for cats not to eat an entire dish of cat food in one sitting a day but to have a few smaller meals during the day. (some cats will eat anything that's on offer as soon as it's offered, especially cats who aren't established in a routine and don't know where the next meal will come from.)

While cats and dogs do have some things in common, they aren't exactly the same in terms of thought process, behaviour or body language (the most obvious being that a wagging tail tends to have opposite meaning with a cat than a dog) and cats, like people, will be different.

Some cats can get into a routine of expecting to be fed at the same time each day (my mogs never did because I worked pretty variable hours) but some will think it's breakfast time as soon as the sun rises.

And you could try taking kitty for walkies at your own risk -

129075612533720966.jpg

Our present two have never got into a feeding routine, partly due to our irregular hours. However, our previous cat Harvey used to start miaowing loudly by the bed from 6am. :mad:

One possibility, in fact quite likely, is that we keep the cat, then in spring get a puppy and see how they get on....

This may be a good idea.

Our rescue cat loved our dog (who I also miss terribly. We got her first. Cat's and dogs make for good mates if they know each other.

I'm a dog person too. So I get ya. Although dogs are much harder work than cats. See how puss gets on and then get him a friend.. if youn can handle the puss.

If you can't handle the puss, you definitely won't be able to handle the pup.

It's easy to take on someone's dog for a week. Owning one, and training it from a pup is much harder work.

I know you fell in love with the pup, but please see how the cat goes. You'll probably love them both, but you really do need to think of the animals you are going to own which will be dependant on you for their well-being2.

I'm pleased the cat likes you, and hasn't taken 6 months to come round! Sounds like a fab cat. My cat took over 6 months to willingly come near me when we first got her.

A couple of good things about him - he hasn't bitten or scratched me. And he seems really well toilet trained and hasn't pissed or shat anywhere except for the litter tray.

One of ours scratches, but has generally immaculate toilet habits.

The other is adorably soppy and docile but a little, ahem, careless in using the litter tray and refuses to 'go' outside.

You don't know how lucky you are!

In all honesty you've had the ups and downs with the cat, and I had ups and downs with mine when I got her, and she's still got a couple of irritating habits (attacking your feet when your walking through with dinner), and people laugh at how much I swear at her, but I couldn't imagine the house without her now and there's nothing better than a kitteh cuddle when it's cold.

Realistically now I'm on an even keel with her, having a cat is a piece of piss, I probably don't worm her or flee her as much as I should, but she doesn't really leave the house, if she does, she doesn't leave the garden.

And I know what you mean about cat litter smell, I hated it, but when I took it away she started shitting in the garden, which was annoying too. I don't know where she shits now, all the neighbours are always in their garden, and none have ever complained...... There's a manky stream hidden between our gardens and I think she shots there now which I'm fine with.

I don't think you should get rid of the cat, unless you actually can't look after its welfare, it might be a steep learning curve for you, but it sounds easier than mine (my first cat) and I think mine is a pretty good 'learner' kitty iykwim

Its obviously becoming attached to you from what you say, so this could be the first real care it's had in its life. Vets wise as a precaution you could get pet insurance, I think mine is £6 a month from the RSPCA.... The outgoing really is negligible for what I get in return.

My cat really can't be placed with family homes now, because of her play biting, so if I did ever rehome her she'd be stuck in a centre for pretty much most of her life, and I wouldn't ever want to inflict that on her, it would only happened if something very serious happened to me, but even then I think my parents or my friends would struggle to let her go and take her in

Have you read all the posts?

Yes, and posted at length.

I was pointing out the slightly amusing juxtaposition of that toy thing that Corax posted, and temper_tantrum saying that it was a living creature, not an object.

The thing is, you can't have it both ways. If you get a cat on the cheap (In your case free!) from a rescue centre or someone else who's fed up with it then it deserves to go to a home where its new owners will have the time and the patience for it. It doesn't need to be let down again.

If you want a cat that falls asleep on your lap and (sometimes, perhaps) appreciates all your endeavors to feed it then unfortunately you have to put your hand in your pocket and buy one as a kitten.

If you want a cat that falls asleep on your lap and (sometimes, perhaps) appreciates all your endeavors to feed it then unfortunately you have to put your hand in your pocket and buy one as a kitten.

Even that isn't 100% guaranteed. Actually, out of our two cats, it's the stray one who's really loving and looks at us in the eye, like a puppy dog! Yep, the one that turned up in our garden out of the blue one day and never left (and who was pregnant with 7 kittens :oops:).

The one we got from kitten is a lot more aloof! Although, you are right there, she does sit on our our lap often (more so in Winter ;) ).

Afaik you could frontline/flea treat the bugger with the spot on one now (you can get a cheaper version some places, and often chemists sell it cheaper than a vet too). This should at least kill any ticks or fleas, the ticks will end up dead and be easier to remove (if that is what it is). You need to use a decent flea treatment such as you would get in a vet though, eg Advantage, Frontline, Fiproline, etc and it may be useful to know the cat's weight though afaik there are only two cat sizes, big and small.

I would wait and ask the vet about wormer, feeding the poor sod a horrible tasting dinner or worse trying to pill him is probably not going to go down too well at all. And yes get some cat toys, Wilkos is good if you're skint.

Back
Top Bottom