Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A thread in praise of the private car!

I'm also a vegetarian and cycle over 10,000km every year so, to some extent, I'm self-compensating. Although I do have an Extra 300L that has yet to be weighed on the Spymaster scales of eco justice.
high octane fuel for them planes what you flew. Thats a lot of carbon footprint there

I'd rather like a Forester XT but can't justify the mid 20s mpg.

i just sold one of them, dont have to worry about the mpg too much here, although its getting worse. the forrester was ok, but not enough lift for 'proper' off road ;) it'd probably be great where you live, nice and roomy & with great all wheel drive to get you through the snow

Last edited:
I'm afraid you don't get a choice, geezer. This is about keeping as many high-powered cars on the roads as possible whilst making sure that the owners have someone "doing their bit" for the environment.

Responsible petrolheadism, if you will.

twentythreedom, he's yours.

noooooI wanted dot *sulks* though with 2 x6 clyinders and the R33. I may need more :oops::thumbs:

distinct lack of female posters on this thread :hmm: whys that then? if its cos they dont drive then thats a whole new un-tapped source of emissions balancers to match up, & play their part, no? kittyP you dont drive ? :)

i've been selling and buying cars and motor bikes for the last 40 years, it was a business with the x but now eldest son has it down pat. bought 3 skylines for $4500, & sold them all in a few week for $12000. same with the foresster, bought for 1500, sold in a week for 4000. just now bought a hilux for this weeks work.

Toyota_Hilux_2.8D_closeup.jpg

jeez, i've spent at least 200+ hours flying time too :facepalm: and i have kids and i eat meat. im going to hell.... fwiw though i dont have a microwave, vacuum and any other new fangled appliances or white goods... maybe theres hope for me yet :D:hmm:

Last edited:
Does pumping undiluted, untreated turds out into the sea from the ship's bog embellish my anti-environmental credentials? It fucking should do - Untreated sewage is 250,000 times more toxic than what comes out of the standard sewerage system outlet pipes :(

That's fine, all the bottom scuttlers nom it up. Crab-sticks for lunch, yummy.

twentythreedom said:
Tbh yeah if patience runs low and progress is slow then I'm quite happy to stick the engine on and motor sail all the way if necessary :)

Yes please. Also if you could first replace the 9hp Yanmar with a 500hp MAN and get rid of that silly pole with the flapping bed sheets then I think you'll be on to a winner ;)

Last edited:
I currently am having to drive 3 hours a day for work. There's no PT that would get me to and from work. I could get a bus to the station, one hour, plus an hour on the train then another half hour bus trip. Then nothing at the time I leave work. Luckily this should change at the end of the month so I won't be commuting. Does this mean I need an offset partner, or am I self sustaining?

The best way to get people to use trains more than cars would be to somehow condensify the geographical spread of populations so that it makes sense to supply everyone with a train line from a materials/energy consumption perspective, or to otherwise make trains as useful and flexible as cars.
You don't seem to be getting the idea, NoXion.

If we each had an environmentally neutral, private railway line, that went from our front doors to wherever we wanted to go, at zero cost, and we could summon a train instantly with the click of our fingers and be served lobster and caviar on each leg of the journey .... we'd still keep our cars!

The gentleman could be on to something. If one could have one's own personal train, the private locomotive, with oneself as the driver and no doubt one day a machine for an engineer, and it could run freely on a ubiquitous network of public tracks... perhaps using materials of the future instead of antiquated lines of iron... well if that could be achieved, I would go so far as to doff my stovepipe hat to its creator.

The gentleman could be on to something. If one could have one's own personal train, the private locomotive, with oneself as the driver and no doubt one day a machine for an engineer, and it could run freely on a ubiquitous network of public tracks... perhaps using materials of the future instead of antiquated lines of iron... well if that could be achieved, I would go so far as to doff my stovepipe hat to its creator.

i want a hovercar

You don't seem to be getting the idea, NoXion.

If we each had an environmentally neutral, private railway line, that went from our front doors to wherever we wanted to go, at zero cost, and we could summon a train instantly with the click of our fingers and be served lobster and caviar on each leg of the journey .... we'd still keep our cars!

And why's that?

The thing is, you don't have to have cars as a primary means of transportation or cities designed around the car in order to have vehicles like that. Joy-riding is one thing, but transportation is another.

I do not live in London but sometimes work there, I need a car for my work.

Which sounds to me like a transport infrastructure issue. What is it about your work that demands a car exactly?

Tools/Equipment, working at different sites around UK, hundreds of miles apart etc.

I tried using the train/public transport once, never again.

The thing is, you don't have to have cars as a primary means of transportation or cities designed around the car in order to have vehicles like that. Joy-riding is one thing, but transportation is another.
My car is far from my primary means of transport. It's a plaything, which occasionally comes in handy as a form of transport.

could try some sort of aversion therapy to condition the selfish off their desire to have such a harmful toy. Hot wax on the bellend or something- mind you, some of the crusty old tory bastards flanging them chelsea tractors around probably pay good money for that. But we could think of something.

Which sounds to me like a transport infrastructure issue. What is it about your work that demands a car exactly?

Mine is based on top of a hill in the middle of the Peak District. Having a car is handy not just for that, but for going caving, Climbing and Kayaking

He did eventually pay them enough to buy their own product, tbf, as essential to business in the end, although I don't know anything more than that.

Edit: I see it's lately argued that this was all balls, so who knows
Not so much "all balls" as Ford being sensible (relatively) enough to realise that as his competitors adopted his practices and poached his staff, he needed to incentives them to stay through higher wages. That had the knock-on effect of making his products more affordable to his employees.
Of course, some of Ford's more hagiography-inclined biographers re-wrote that phenomenon as a deliberate economic act by the mad old cunt.

tough shit, i am going to do a mountain of cocaine with a trafficked prostitute in a lear jet from stansted to luton and back, so you are going to need to slurp down a gallon of pureed kale to make up for it.

I can do that, to be able to ecocompent the cocaine use.

I m a car refusnik joining the fray
Had a car from 1995 but sold it in 1999
Vegetarian but did sprog
Have been on six return flights in my life, 5 domestic and one to madrid
What's in it for us smugsters if we offset your petrol fuelled adventures ?

Back
Top Bottom